Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2015.09.17, 11:27 PM   #11
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Aisaika is probably in like, my current top 10 favourite Ringo tracks ever but I do agree that my 14 year old self didn't appreciate it very much when I first heard it.

I think in general there are many "types" of Ringo songs now that I love that my younger self would probably have dismissed a lot. Songs that are not very obviously 'pretty' like FOUL and CRAWL, BB Queen, Gaman. Gaman especially I think is one of TJ's absolute best songs ever and it's a bloody shame that it hasn't gotten more airtime in their career.

I also really LOVE Netsuai! Not a fan of the PV but the song is pretty ace for me lol. In fact the opening of the song was my ringtone for a while lol. I kinda hope she plays it this tour, preferably with the string arrangement weaved in ala Toutaikai.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.18, 02:20 AM   #12
zordon

zordon is headed in the right direction

With Jihen:
Kai Horror Dust - didn't like it at first, and then Izawa came out wearing heels in Bon Voyage. This added another repulsive layer to this track; probably doesn't count as it's not Ringo singing
SSAW
Onna no Ko - Bleh.
Atarashii Bunmei-kaika

Solo:
Papaya Mango
Futari-bocchi Jikan
Irokoizata
zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.18, 03:37 AM   #13
K__

K__ has had more than 15 seconds of fame

NIPPON. That's it.

Tsugou No Ii Karada gets the skip whenever I listen to SG too but saying I "can't listen to it" is a little harsh. So yeah, just NIPPON.

edit: also the Netsuai video is fucking hilarious, come on.
K__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.18, 04:45 AM   #14
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by zordon View Post
With Jihen:
Kai Horror Dust - didn't like it at first, and then Izawa came out wearing heels in Bon Voyage. This added another repulsive layer to this track; probably doesn't count as it's not Ringo singing
Omg heeled-Izawa was a formative moment of my college years!

I find it interesting how many people don't like the tracks without ringo singing--I was conversely disappointed that it took so long for them to get solos...

I also used to have no love for SSAW, but I listen to on loop a lot recently.

Was I the only one feeling weird about sweet spot then
Old 2015.09.18, 05:52 AM   #15
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

A few days ago I listened to Papaya Mango for the second time ever. I've been actively avoiding that song for years! The second listen just made me remember why that is the case.

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
  • Rinne Highlight - this is kind of petty of me, but for some reason I'm really turned off by the fact that it's neither purely original nor explicitly a cover. Hearing recognizable elements from other songs is distracting. Except sometimes this can also awesome (e.g. Punk Mushi no Onna). I'm conflicted.
Me too!
Originally Posted by zordon View Post
Papaya Mango
Futari-bocchi Jikan
Irokoizata
Yes
Yes though I barely even remember that one.
and Yes.
Old 2015.09.18, 10:39 AM   #16
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by tsukigimehime View Post
I find it interesting how many people don't like the tracks without ringo singing--I was conversely disappointed that it took so long for them to get solos...
Honestly, the guys in TJ aren't all that good. However, I am really not big on the male singing voice in general, no matter how skilled the singer is. I realize this is also very petty, but it's a purely emotional reaction (or rather, the lack thereof). It's not a sex thing, at least not directly.

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
Aisaika is probably in like, my current top 10 favourite Ringo tracks ever but I do agree that my 14 year old self didn't appreciate it very much when I first heard it.
Youth is definitely a factor, but there's more to it than that. I had kind of an unusual upbringing; as a result I actually wound up missing a lot of music that most people would probably find familiar (including the vast majority of the music produced between 1980 and 2000). Ringo's music itself is very much responsible for changing and broadening my musical tastes; I actually discovered a lot of Western music through her first.

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
A few days ago I listened to Papaya Mango for the second time ever. I've been actively avoiding that song for years! The second listen just made me remember why that is the case.
This is a good example. Didn't know who Rosemary Clooney was before Ringo.

Back on topic, I can think of really only two songs right now that I *just* can't stand, at all: NIPPON, and Nagaku Mijikai Matsuri. Though I will possibly reconsider the latter if she does it live and without the vocoder.
Old 2015.09.18, 06:14 PM   #17
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

The last song on all Ringo/TJ albums, usually boring garbage.

The first song on Sport.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.18, 07:13 PM   #18
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Last song theory is wrong.

The last song on KZK is a masterpiece

The last song on SG is pretty decent

Hell, the last song on Sunny is a masterpiece

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.09.18 at 07:50 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.18, 07:34 PM   #19
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Every song on KZK is a masterpiece.
Old 2015.09.19, 02:13 AM   #20
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
Honestly, the guys in TJ aren't all that good. However, I am really not big on the male singing voice in general, no matter how skilled the singer is. I realize this is also very petty, but it's a purely emotional reaction (or rather, the lack thereof). It's not a sex thing, at least not directly.
For me, it's because they're not necessarily good singers that I'm interested in how the members would write to accommodate less talented vocalists, though I totally understand being there for ringo. And while I say that they're not really good singers, I listen to appa pretty frequently and also enjoy petrolz. I was just curious about what kinds of limits they could take their voices to, and what they would write for one another. :O