Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.12.14, 09:05 AM   #61
digdad

digdad has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I've been singing Ringo's praises on a Beatles forum I'm active on. A few have commented positively to some of the YouTube songs I've posted. They especially liked Tsukigime-hime, but not surprising with Izawa doing his best Ray Manzerik impression. One guy has started to listen to a bit of Japanese music because of this, but I think I've only succeeded in making him into a minor GO!GO!7188 fan.

Other than that, I can say I've turned my elementary school aged kids into Ringo aficionados. They'll request some of her videos on my iPod every now and then. Also, when a song from HF comes on, they instantly know what DVD video it is and they'll say things like "Hey, this is the hamster song!" or "Hey, this is the street animal song!".
digdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.14, 09:14 AM   #62
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by digdad View Post
I've been singing Ringo's praises on a Beatles forum I'm active on. A few have commented positively to some of the YouTube songs I've posted. They especially liked Tsukigime-hime, but not surprising with Izawa doing his best Ray Manzerik impression. One guy has started to listen to a bit of Japanese music because of this, but I think I've only succeeded in making him into a minor GO!GO!7188 fan.

Other than that, I can say I've turned my elementary school aged kids into Ringo aficionados. They'll request some of her videos on my iPod every now and then. Also, when a song from HF comes on, they instantly know what DVD video it is and they'll say things like "Hey, this is the hamster song!" or "Hey, this is the street animal song!".
That sounds like a success story, but I still can't believe how someone can hear a ringo song (not from variety) and not become a fan. I'm amazed that your Beatles fans haven't been able to see the light.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.14, 11:45 AM   #63
ParisJihen

ParisJihen has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post
That sounds like a success story, but I still can't believe how someone can hear a ringo song (not from variety) and not become a fan. I'm amazed that your Beatles fans haven't been able to see the light.
Using the comparison with the rich and colourful melodies of the Beatles is one of my arguments to try convince people to listen to SR and I think Karuki Samen Kuri no Hana is the best album for people who are sensible to this aspect of her music... So far I Only turned 5 or 6 people around me yet. My son is a great fan and 3 of my friends are mad about her ! and 2 or 3 of my pupils (I teach guitar) fell under her charm too... (I teached them Superstar)
ParisJihen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.14, 12:02 PM   #64
digdad

The general similarities to the Beatles is definitely what first drew me to SR--her Lennon-McCartney-esque knack to write a melodic hook, the interesting instrumentation, the recognition of no boundaries in music, etc. Not to mention her vocal quality always sort of reminded me of Lennon's. I've also read interviews where, just like Lennon would, she disparaged her ability to sing certain styles of music, notably jazz which I think she excels at.
Old 2007.12.14, 12:52 PM   #65
alleon86

alleon86 is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by ParisJihen View Post
Using the comparison with the rich and colourful melodies of the Beatles is one of my arguments to try convince people to listen to SR and I think Karuki Samen Kuri no Hana is the best album for people who are sensible to this aspect of her music... So far I Only turned 5 or 6 people around me yet. My son is a great fan and 3 of my friends are mad about her ! and 2 or 3 of my pupils (I teach guitar) fell under her charm too... (I teached them Superstar)
man, you're the best teacher ever,
alleon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.14, 03:54 PM   #66
ParisJihen

ParisJihen has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by alleon86 View Post
man, you're the best teacher ever,
... and the next one will probably be Gunjou Biyori ! In fact that's an excuse to listen or watch her during the lessons !
ParisJihen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.14, 07:10 PM   #67
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
edit: Positron, if Karada is your example of a masculine song I think I might just to reconsider this liking guys things
Originally Posted by Hedofloe View Post
Karada is one of those songs were I feel like Ringo is singing to me . Oh and Mr. Wonderful .

Exactly. The song itself does not possess that quality, but if some girl were to sing that to me and mean it, I'd feel damn good right then. As soon as I hear "I've got the time for more than talking..." I'm about ready to put on my robe and wizard hat. (/obscure and lame reference)

I think I'm up to 6 now - at a party, try slipping a reference to her or Tokyo Jihen during a music conversation with an iPod at the ready. It just might work.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.14, 09:24 PM   #68
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Positron View Post
I'm about ready to put on my robe and wizard hat. (/obscure and lame reference)
robe and wizard hat you say...

Dumble Dumble Dore
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.15, 04:21 PM   #69
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

I tried to get my friends into it, but they aren't getting into it simply because of the language barrier.

I have dumb friends. so I learned to just keep the appley goodness to myself.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.15, 05:32 PM   #70
digdad

This morning I put on the Barenaked Ladies Holiday album, but my 6-year-old insisted I take it off and put on Shiina Ringo. Of course, I had to oblige.