Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2012.02.25, 08:34 PM   #941
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post

And Ryuukou is like a more polite, 'lady-like' version of her kitchen sink style. Kitchen sink with pink rubber gloves.

Ryuukou's rabid class feel too was surprising to me when I just had the PV to hear it from, but as soon as I got the album, it felt even more tame to me. I no doubt enjoy it still, but I can't throw it on a playlist behind anything from SS.

The lacking of a really "I have to listen to that one again, I just don't understand" song surprised me the most about this album at first. Then I got to Tegatta Teguchi. I feel that "0 chiten" and TT are the extremes of the album, I gravitated to them both immediately. Soft, simply, easily remembered, like something you'd teach girls to play in a finishing school- and then this cyberpunk horror dream incarnated as sound with a busted blender plugged into an open fuse, tin pan full of alarm clocks, bowling ball in the washing machine, receptionist screaming your name over the intercom while your in the chair sleeping, then the doctor coming out to tell you it's cool, just take these pills twice a day for the next week and hit that light switch on the way out.

"Mitteinogatari" was another one that painted a very specific visual for me for the obvious reasons, though as far as musicianship goes, I didn't find it as interesting as the latter mentioned.

I remember Turtle fu saying "Shun was the best song on the album" way back. I almost feel as though I can find the exact page in the thread it was posted in. I felt the song was just too formally constructed to be worth the mention, I've grown to love it now, but I still don't feel it's one of the first tracks I talk to someone about when I find out that they've heard this album as well. I might have felt different had Futaribocchi jikan been in Shun's slot and from that shun and Yokyou switch slots, putting it as track 13. It may even seem even more campy in this order, but I feel like it's effective only as a stand alone or as closing hymn to another sermon from Oyashiina.

Last edited by LoBFCanti : 2012.02.26 at 09:49 AM.
LoBFCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.26, 06:45 AM   #942
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Hey, my tastes have changed! I admit that I'm not always consistent. I still love Shun, and I've always loved Bonsai Hada.

Shun's piano solo is really amazing, but that not's something Shiina really had any involvement in.

See, while I like Togatta Teguchi and 0 Chiten Kara, I feel like they don't fit on the album well. You effectively have Shiina trying many different styles on this album, but mostly staying within swing/big band or club jazz. 0 Chiten Kara maybe fits because it has the woodwinds, but the electric sitars in Togatta Teguchi don't fit on the rest of the album.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.26, 07:13 AM   #943
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Little fits with anything else on the album because it is such a scattershot approach.
Old 2012.02.26, 07:45 AM   #944
TurtleFu

I've heard that a lot, but overall I disagree.

I admit, if you only looked at the album song by song, maybe, but listening to the whole thing in one go, I don't get that impression.

For one, the album is dominated by brass, rhodes piano, woodwinds, and guitars. It makes an overall jazz-y adult contemporary feel to it.

Second, this the first album where not only are the titles symmetrical, but the sounds are too. It isn't exact, but it's easy to see how the paired songs are the ones that are most similar. This I think makes it more cohesive because the first half of the album feels random but after Shun everyything makes sense in context.
Old 2012.02.26, 08:58 AM   #945
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Second, this the first album where not only are the titles symmetrical, but the sounds are too.
I have to disagree about that bit, I can't see anything symmetrical between Roudousha and Bonsai Hada (though nothing in this album sounds like Bonsai Hada).

I think that her only album which is fully symmetrical both lyrically and musically is KZK
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.26, 09:59 AM   #946
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by matan-san View Post
I have to disagree about that bit, I can't see anything symmetrical between Roudousha and Bonsai Hada (though nothing in this album sounds like Bonsai Hada).

I think that her only album which is fully symmetrical both lyrically and musically is KZK
I think he meant not symmetrical, the first since not to be. Variety had symmetry I believe. I can't really look at Education and Adult and say the same of the top of my head.
LoBFCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.26, 10:26 AM   #947
TurtleFu

Bonsai Hada and Roudousha are the only exceptions, though I think they are similar because they both focus on vocals over instrumentation, with Roudousha using vocal harmonies and Bonsai Hada being vocals with solo accompaniment.

Hayari-Yokyou are both more rock-based
Mittei Monogatari-Irokoizata are both traditional pop songs with jazz influence
0 Chiten Kara-Togatta Teguchi are both electonic-y, based on club jazz
Karisome Otome-Mayakashi Masaotoko are both Soil and Pimp Sessions songs
Tsugou no ii Karada-Futaribocchi Jikan both use full Saito Neko orchestral arrangements and are based on big band music
Shun is a piano ballad
Old 2012.02.26, 11:16 AM   #948
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

SG is all over the place but not. It's like there are different songs, but the whole thing almost feels like a magical tour around some Ringo themed theme park. I feel like the latter Phase 2 albums feel more like a collection of random songs than SG does.

Originally Posted by LoBFCanti View Post
Ryuukou's rabid class feel too was surprising to me when I just had the PV to hear it from, but as soon as I got the album, it felt even more tame to me. I no doubt enjoy it still, but I can't throw it on a playlist behind anything from SS.
The song comes across as more throwaway than previous openers, but I kinda wonder if she did this on purpose. (Btw I like Ryuukou much more for its second half. The first half is definitely tame.)
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.26, 11:22 AM   #949
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
SG is all over the place but not. It's like there are different songs, but the whole thing almost feels like a magical tour around some Ringo themed theme park. I feel like the latter Phase 2 albums feel more like a collection of random songs than SG does.
/thumbs up
Old 2012.02.26, 06:51 PM   #950
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Still the best track order ever. How to organise chaos 101.