Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2014.01.28, 02:44 PM   #11
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
Moving through her discography and going to listen to Suki, Suki, Daisuki now.

I liked this album more than Tamahime Sama.
I love the title track and her version of Angel Baby, but overall I thought Tamahime-sama curb stomped Suki Suki Daisuki. : / And I don't even mean that in a way to take anything away from how great of an album Suki Suki Daisuki is. I just liked Tamahime-sama that much more.
Old 2014.01.28, 03:58 PM   #12
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Yeah, it's hard to say anything bad about Suki Suki Daisuki for me, an album I really love too, but where Tamahime Sama is totally drenched in atmosphere and has nothing bad to be said about it, Suki Suki Daisuki does have it's (very few) weaknesses. The production is a little on the 'tinny' side in places (it has aged a little worse than Tamahime Sama) and feels like a (great) collection of songs, rather than being it's whole entity (it is also Togawa going all-out idol parody- and rather ironically- actually manages to be the best example of idol music I've heard).

But yeah, it's probably easier to digest on first listen. I can understand why a lot of people like it the most. Like Maou mentioned, that cover of Angel Baby is how you make singing purposely out-of-tune into a fucking artform. I still really, really love it, but I'd still pick Tamahime Sama over it if I had to pick one.

To relate to Ringo, I guess its like choosing out of Shouso Strip (Suki Suki Daisuki) and KZK (Tamahime-Sama)

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.01.28 at 04:10 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.01.29, 09:28 AM   #13
NCORE

NCORE has had more than 15 seconds of fame

deadgrandma has infected me with Togawa Jun; thanks so much. I wonder if I'd ever heard her music if not for this forum.

Tamahime-sama is gorgeous, haven't really given Suki suki daisuki a good listen yet but I love the title track. Jun is so real :0

edit: wow Emil; that's great! Also I see she's also the original Fullmetal Alchemist, eh?
NCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.10, 08:22 AM   #14
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

This was the first Togawa song I heard (it being the first song on the album) and it's still my favorite. I love the weird accordion effect and how haunting her voice sounds.

怒濤の恋愛

The new recording is pretty good, too, but it loses the haunting effect of the original recording.

New recording.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.13, 03:45 PM   #15
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

finally started listening to tamahime sama and suki suki for the first time ever for the past two weeks, been puttin it off for some time now b/c i wasnt too fond of drum usage in 80s sound with all them dam tom toms, yea thas my excuse for being very late lol, but mann this is right up my alley, the music and is so good and jun togawa's incredible-ness taking over that them drums didnt distract at all, im liking tamahime sama better that suki suki, especially the kontyu-gun and the title track tamahime sama incredible, im wondering is there a jun togawa dynamite out like live out there? trying to hear the best live from her
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.08.10, 10:29 PM   #16
Parsec

Parsec is headed in the right direction

What's Jun Togawa up to these days? She appears to still be alive, but has very few recent albums. Just Togawa Fiction (2004) apparently. That was the first album I heard by her. I downloaded it a couple of years ago, can't remember how I discovered it though. I loved the last song, but I didn't really like the rest of it, especially not the band that's playing on it. After that I heard one of the Guernica albums which I didn't really get into either. But thanks to Electric Mole (specifically deadgrandma..?) I've heard Tamahime-sama and that Otomo Yoshihide album she's on, and I like them a lot, so what should I listen to next? Suki suki daisuki? Something else?
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.08.11, 08:16 PM   #17
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
What's Jun Togawa up to these days? She appears to still be alive, but has very few recent albums. Just Togawa Fiction (2004) apparently. That was the first album I heard by her. I downloaded it a couple of years ago, can't remember how I discovered it though. I loved the last song, but I didn't really like the rest of it, especially not the band that's playing on it. After that I heard one of the Guernica albums which I didn't really get into either. But thanks to Electric Mole (specifically deadgrandma..?) I've heard Tamahime-sama and that Otomo Yoshihide album she's on, and I like them a lot, so what should I listen to next? Suki suki daisuki? Something else?
No major full lengths (but I feel something brewing right now, she's more 'active' than she's been for a while) but plenty of guest appearances and one offs recently. This year she did the song "Lilac" with Vampillia and there's and upcoming noise version of Suki Suki Daisuki on the 35th Anniversary Hijokaiden album.

Here is Lilac:
Lilac w/ Togawa

Another album she was on in 2004 was the Tricomi collaboration "Good Girls Get Fed, Bad Girls Get Eaten" which is one of my favourite Togawa related releases ever. There was an excellent 9 minute rendition of Kanon on the ROMANTIST (STALIN/Michiro Endo tribute album), and the AWESOME East Gate Toulenes project + it's subsequent DVD.

Here is a (rather bad quality bootleg) track from the Tricomi project
Tricomi feat. Jun Togawa
(couldn't find any tracks from the CD for whatever reason).

However, she still tours frequently and is still awesome live. Lots of her shows have CD-Rs too (I have all except for a couple).

This happened last year (Oomori and Togawa):

As for you, go for Suki Suki Daisuki next for sure.
Old 2014.08.21, 03:05 AM   #18
Parsec

Parsec is headed in the right direction

Thanks for the info. Lilac is really good! They should do more songs together.
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.14, 09:37 PM   #19
deadgrandma

Most lively Togawa thread on here, so I suppose it's most appropriate to post this.

Last nights Sadistic Circus setlist:

1.バーバラ・セクサロイド
2.バージンブルース
3.諦念プシガンガ
4.蛹化の女
5.さよならをおしえて
6.ダイヤルMを廻せ!(ゲスト:高木完)
7.肉屋のように

Totally awesome.

Speaking of awesome, count me a fan of the Hijokaidan x Togawa version of Suki Suki Daisuki. Love how Togawa totally rips her biggest pop song to shreds without any mercy!

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.09.14 at 09:40 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.02, 12:21 PM   #20
NCORE

NCORE has had more than 15 seconds of fame

^ Dial M? What's that? :O

I wonder if this is the place to ask, treating this as 'the Togawa Jun thread'...

But anyway: http://rooftop.cc/news/2014/12/01220000.php
I just saw this but I don't speak Japanese; I do see Ohtsuki Kenji and Togawa Jun in text and image and I was wondering if there's a connection? Are they going to perform live together or anything like that? Because that would be absolutely amazing to me.
NCORE is offline   Reply With Quote