Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.05.22, 12:05 PM   #6761
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

hell yea im in love with tetra plus right now
this song is like water to me right now
i need it to survive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlUqfvDnb7w&NR=1
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.23, 12:39 AM   #6762
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

Joy Orbison - GR Etiquette (Pearson Sound Symphonic Mix)
ChickShhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.23, 11:52 AM   #6763
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

The other day, everywhere I looked, people talked about Goblin by Tyler, the Creator. I gave in and gave it a listen to see what all the hub-bub was about. Admittedly, rap is a genre I could use more experience in. I enjoy listening to Wu Tang, Kanye from time to time. I acknowledge their quality, but by the end I just feel exhausted. I have to exert some effort for rap. Pardon my whiteness.

After giving Goblin a few spins, something just bugged me about the songs. Thats when I realized Tyler the Creator follows a simple formula for his raps! I have decoded this recipe and now you too can rap worthy of OFWGKTA!

Rule 1: You only need two ingredients, a verse and a refrain.
Rule 2: The Verse.
Line 1: Talk about yourself.

Line 2: Segue into a pop-culture reference

Line 3: State an act of sexual violence towards a woman. Ideally, it should relate to line 2, but don't worry if it doesn't.

Line 4: More violence. This time towards homosexuals, but occasionally you may want to point it towards your dad, someone who doesn't like you, someone who does like you -- but you don't like, or another woman.

Rule 3: The Refrain.
Wolf. Gang. Wolf. Gang. (repeat a few bars.)
Rule 4: Repeat Rules 2 and 3

Rule 0: That beat better be good, because that's the only sign of quality in any of these songs. Its just too hard to tell if the other elements are satire, sarcasm, or if they're honest.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2011.05.23 at 11:57 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.23, 06:21 PM   #6764
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Lol, I heard a rap song that literally said:

Gun, gun, n*gger, n*gger, bang, bang, bling!

As the chorus. Can anyone enlighten me who it was cause it was hilarious.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.23, 06:44 PM   #6765
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Most rap is so contrived. Especially modern rap, which is way more pop-influenced than it should be. I like old-school, socially-conscious hip-hop, like The Roots, Mos Def, and Common.
And I listened to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and I was seriously underwhelmed. It was good for modern rap, but it wasn't innovative or very original.

EDIT: I would also like to pardon MY whiteness. I do listen to hip-hop, but I admit I am not the target audience nor do I probably understand it as well as a black listener might.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2011.05.23 at 06:49 PM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.24, 12:27 AM   #6766
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Yes, dubstep on EMF! Very nice, ChickShhh... (Enjoyed the Tetra+ as well)

My understanding of Odd Future - and I really could be wrong - is that they just troll everyone. It's memetic, 4chan rap (or is that Lil B )? They are not actually sexist or homophobic, just as they're obviously not cannibals, rapists or whatever other extreme thing they say they are in their lyrics. Tyler and Earl just don't care what anyone thinks, when you could make a case to say they should, and will say whatever they calculate will offend or confound while amusing themselves. I mean, they call their mixtapes things like "Bastard", and Tyler likes to be compared to the Sex Pistols, who were also provocateurs. Their lyrical talent ranges from complex doubled-up internal rhyme (EARL, but can't promise nicer themes there) to what sounds like a 12-year old chewing crisps (Tina featuring Jasper and Taco), some really fresh and original beats (actually, Tina again) to some... less good. It's kind of that DIY sound that's interesting.

That might not make the lyrics right, and it's not enough of a get-out clause that they have a lesbian DJ / sound engineer. I don't mean this to read like an apologia for hateful lyrics. FWIW their R&B guy Frank Ocean is quite different lyrically, and may be the one to come out of it all with the most goodwill, singing about marriage not being between a man and woman but between love and love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtZh_zWEcpY

retro-edit: Actually that's quite a lot of essay considering I just know 3 of their mixtapes, 2 articles and 1 interview. I'm more interested in what other people think.

Last edited by so_cold : 2011.05.24 at 04:19 AM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.24, 12:29 AM   #6767
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I wouldnt bother with rap if the lyrics weren't hateful. I mean, how boring would that be
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.24, 02:29 AM   #6768
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

I admit my reaction to the Jimmy Fallon clip was the typical white liberal "Phew, Mos Def likes them, so it must be OK for me to like them too" ... (In any case noone's gonna find this version of Sandwitches hateful unless they're fundamentalist Christians...)

so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.24, 06:44 AM   #6769
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I don't care if Mos Def likes them, the same way I don't care if Shiina likes the Sex Pistols.
And considering Odd Future = Sex Pistols of rap, I mean really? I find it so tired and boring and immature.

And I think it's an extremely fine line between saying something to shock and actually advocating it, because if you think it's bad enough to shock but okay to get a rise out of, you don't think it's serious enough to actually be worried about.

Just my two cents on both Odd Future and Sex Pistols.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.24, 06:52 AM   #6770
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

@So Cold, fair enough. I admit I'm not at all familiar with these guys outside of this one cd. So if that's their "thing" then I get it. I think

My girlfriend asked me what I was listening to and I told her "its like 4chan the rap album."

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
I admit my reaction to the Jimmy Fallon clip was the typical white liberal "Phew, Mos Def likes them, so it must be OK for me to like them too" ...