Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.03.12, 05:44 PM   #51
Mr Sands

Mr Sands is headed in the right direction

I thought the photo they used in the booklet looked quite nice but it's deffo disappointing that it's the only photo in there.
Mr Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.12, 09:39 PM   #52
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
Dude, you're crazy, give it up. This show was amazing. She did so many different things, it was so fun to watch. I don't want to ruin it for people but I really liked the bit with the apples and how she "escaped" before the encore. What she kept doing with her hair was also very interesting.

In terms of the songs, I hadn't listened to her for a while again, and so all these songs seemed so fresh, especially how the orchestra was in all of them. I thought it was awesome that they blended the arrangements instead of doing purely orchestrated versions of some of them or not having orchestrations at all in others. I do agree about Blackout, though. Although I like the new arrangement, it was not much better or equal; just enjoyable.

Junpei is a clown.
no, I'm not crazy, I'm just a bit jaded. Jihad has some legit points. There is almost nothing on this disc we haven't heard. I had to force myself to sit through the entire thing because its just music I hear all the time. Its kind of sad that when she did the regular Kabuki-chou no Jou and not the lame orch version I was like clapping haha.

Jihad, the eye is the cover, nothing else. there is a DVD info and name sticker on the front and back, but it comes off with the shrink wrap. there is no writing anywhere on the packaging otherwise. And Hedofloe, I think your kind of overacting with the packaging. Mikan no Kawa is a jingle, if even, it lasts seriously 10 seconds, so how can you expect the score to be this huge long thing. The live reports even SAID it was a jingle lasting 10 seconds. This is more a little cute insert cuz it was the first thing she ever wrote and so its a nice little random side article. The sticker looks like all the others cuz its supposed to create a set, all the anniversary releases are supposed to go together. And the box design, the eye that is, is good, if you ask me. Ringo tends to package her DVDs in "icons." We get apples for the PV's and the tour dvds have different symbols. This time, since it was anniversary, we got her eye. It all fits together I think.

Jihad, I'd download this release simply because you can see Ringo perform the songs she wrote *as they are written*. Meaning, we don't get live rearranged versions. For the most part they almost exactly same, except the majority of them have been given orchestra parts. Junpei is awesome.

This month has been crazy for DVDs. First I had the 4 disc 6plus hour Amano Tsukiko set, then I have this and YUKI's New Rhythm Generation Tour. If there are any YUKI fans out there you have to check that dvd out.

oh and I agree that the best part of the show was ringo's hair. the choppy long on the side short on the other was my favorite.
YUKI New Rhythm Tour Trailer
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.12, 10:18 PM   #53
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I need to hear the full version of Yokyou =X
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.12, 11:30 PM   #54
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I'm watching the DVD as I type this. I'm on Yume no ato now, and the way she belts out that last note always fucking gets me. I agree with all those who say that she seems a little distant in this gig. The only time she shows a bit of emotion is when she performs with Shiina Junpei - she looks genuinely happy there.

The performance of Yokushitsu was Truly Epic. I love, loved the way she looked, and just the whole psycho feel of the performance.

AND HOW CUTE WAS HER SON'S VOICE!
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.13, 12:17 AM   #55
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
I'm watching the DVD as I type this. I'm on Yume no ato now, and the way she belts out that last note always fucking gets me. I agree with all those who say that she seems a little distant in this gig. The only time she shows a bit of emotion is when she performs with Shiina Junpei - she looks genuinely happy there.

The performance of Yokushitsu was Truly Epic. I love, loved the way she looked, and just the whole psycho feel of the performance.

AND HOW CUTE WAS HER SON'S VOICE!
omg, I forgot to mention that. seeing the way she handled that knife made me strangely on edge. so psychotic and wonderful.
Old 2009.03.13, 01:08 PM   #56
Shiki

Shiki is headed in the right direction

I got mine yesterday too, and forced myself to finish watching it until 1AM.

Production values in this are through the roof. Everything just seems so polished, the camerawork, outfits, lighting, etc. The video quality is great and the sound quality is awesome!

I generally like the orchestral arrangements, but some songs have lost their charm. tsumi no batsu comes to mind, and the instrumental pieces when she takes a break sound a bit off to me.

Did they cut off some MC or does she really not talk until the show is almost over?

My favourite hairstyle was also the choppy long sided one. And the apple scene was hilariously awesome! I think they overdid her makeup though. She just looks too plasticky, like a mannequin.

And I agree with the points above, it's just the same old stuff again. She seems really impersonal in this and it's not as fun or energetic as say, Dynamite Out. There's no interaction at all between the band. The drummer also looks really sleepy and tired for some reason.

Overall, it's a great DVD and I would probably get the BluRay if they do release it.
Shiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.13, 02:05 PM   #57
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Maybe she was just having a bad day that day. Had an argument with Ukigumo or something.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.13, 02:33 PM   #58
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
And Hedofloe, I think your kind of overacting with the packaging. Mikan no Kawa is a jingle, if even, it lasts seriously 10 seconds, so how can you expect the score to be this huge long thing. The live reports even SAID it was a jingle lasting 10 seconds. This is more a little cute insert cuz it was the first thing she ever wrote and so its a nice little random side article. The sticker looks like all the others cuz its supposed to create a set, all the anniversary releases are supposed to go together. And the box design, the eye that is, is good, if you ask me. Ringo tends to package her DVDs in "icons." We get apples for the PV's and the tour dvds have different symbols. This time, since it was anniversary, we got her eye. It all fits together I think.
I had missed the bit that said the song was 10 seconds long which is why I was disappointed about the score. Either way, it's not a big deal to me since I can't read music but it just ticked me off more because the rest of the package was so sparse. I looks really cheap in the light blue, too. Don't you think that for a special edition thing like this it could have at least had a nice little booklet with pictures from the event? It was not worth a special edition. As for the sticker, I don't care that it's the same shape as the other ones, I actually like that about it, but the design itself is just lame. I need to get a new notebook for my writings and I was hoping I could put this sticker on it which is why I was so disappointed when I got it. Do you think it looks cool? If the sticker was her eye, I would have been super-hero happy.

I ended up moving my other Ringo sticker from my amp to my sketchbook. It's flippin' donuts sweet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg book.jpg (354.7 KB, 117 views)
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.13, 07:42 PM   #59
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
Don't you think that for a special edition thing like this it could have at least had a nice little booklet with pictures from the event? It was not worth a special edition.
At first, some people thought they might be getting the equivalent in first-press bonuses to an entire Ringo BoX, as if there wasn't supposed to be any point in buying a Ringo BoX on its own for 3500yen.

Don't you think your expectations might be a little too high for a first-press? You are judging its 'worth' as if it were priced as same as a "special edition". Electric Mole had a differently-priced you-get-what-you-pay-for edition. Heisei Fuuzoku had differently-priced you-get-what-you-pay-for editions. Were you expecting to end up with something astronomically better than what later buyers are going to get for the same price?

Dynamite Out had the only first-press to feature significantly more packaging rather than merely different packaging. Guess what came with it? An outer box that was pretty much empty aside from the fact that a Dynamite Out jewelcase was filling up half of the maximum space. It could unquestionably be said that the first-pressing of Ringo Expo gave you more of a bonus than that.

If you want a lot more eyecandy and/or information than what first-press gave you, that's what the separate -eye- packages are for. I've kept trying to tell people this, even before anyone found out how 'disappointing' the first-press bonuses were - but the message doesn't seem to be getting through to quite everyone.
Old 2009.03.13, 07:59 PM   #60
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
At first, some people thought they might be getting the equivalent in first-press bonuses to an entire Ringo BoX, as if there wasn't supposed to be any point in buying a Ringo BoX on its own for 3500yen.

Don't you think your expectations might be a little too high for a first-press? You are judging its 'worth' as if it were priced as same as a "special edition". Electric Mole had a differently-priced you-get-what-you-pay-for edition. Heisei Fuuzoku had differently-priced you-get-what-you-pay-for editions. Were you expecting to end up with something astronomically better than what later buyers are going to get for the same price?

Dynamite Out had the only first-press to feature significantly more packaging rather than merely different packaging. Guess what came with it? An outer box that was pretty much empty aside from the fact that a Dynamite Out jewelcase was filling up half of the maximum space. It could unquestionably be said that the first-pressing of Ringo Expo gave you more of a bonus than that.

If you want a lot more eyecandy and/or information than what first-press gave you, that's what the separate -eye- packages are for. I've kept trying to tell people this, even before anyone found out how 'disappointing' the first-press bonuses were - but the message doesn't seem to be getting through to quite everyone.
THANK YOU. so true, first press isn't special edition. they aren't going to to give you a bajillion amazing extras for the same price later customers only get the regular edition for. Considering we get a sticker, a score, and a very nice box, for the same price customers later on will get a dvd jewel case and liner notes for? no complaints here

and that is why I like these Ringo BoOk and Ringo BoX and Ringo File options. Someone like me, who is a collector in audio and DVD releases can skip out and not feel too bad, whereas other more serious collectors liek Glanthuus can take pleasure in obtaining them and having the really nice benefits that go with it. For me, it is about the music and performance mostly. I paid 5000 yen for a really super nice coffee table photo book from YUKI's last tour and while its great, it just sits on my shelf and I never use it. I wish I had the money for these things, but man they are sure picking bad timing to release all this stuff.