Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2010.07.31, 06:50 AM   #61
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

I liked Tengoku, even if I think it needed a few more minutes in the oven.
And as far as dopamint is concerned... I liked OSCA a lot after I listened to it a few times. OSCA at least made an immediate impression (I thought it was pretentious and ridiculous when I first heard it). Same for Killer Tune, I didn't like it at first because I thought it was too generic. I don't see the same thing happening with Dopamint. It sounds way too contrived; too much emotion put onto an unoriginal idea...
Old 2010.07.31, 09:33 AM   #62
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
Nonsense on top of nonsense.

Nu-Shiina zealot!
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.31, 09:49 AM   #63
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
Pure nonsense.
Forgive me if I'm assuming too much about your opinion as I don't want to put words in your mouth. However, your response has left me with little to go on so I'm sure there will be some discrepancies. Are you trying to imply that post-Adult Jihen can produce an album of the quality of MM, SS, or KSK or that Variety and Sports are of equal quality? I don't want to count Adult as several of the songs (Himitsu, Superstar, Toumei Ningen, Kenka Joutou, possibly all except Tegami) are Phase 1 songs disguised as Phase 2 songs. What in their catalog of music (Jihen, Petrolz, Appa, non-Shiina solo) suggests that they are capable of producing something of that quality? I'll give you Kimaru since it really is one of the best songs in the entire Jihen catalog. What else comes to mind? I don't think I can come up with an album the quality if SS/KSK even if I took all the best post-Adult songs and put them on a single album. Perhaps you can help?

Or perhaps you're trying to imply that Hirama and HZM just weren't good members of the band and couldn't help Shiina, Hata, and Kameda produce truly great music that can be compared to pre-Jihen Ringo. While they've had their own facepalm worthy moments themselves, they've also composed some music that's been quite good. If I went through HZM's and Hirama's post-Jihen albums, I'm sure I could pick out more quality songs than anything Jihen related. If they can write quality works for themselves (Hirama suffers from having no backing band), I'm sure the songs would have written better songs if they were for a band with the quality of Phase 1's musicians.

As for Shiina herself. I know she's still got something left. Her solo binge with Ariamamu Tomi and the SG album prove that to be true. However, when writting for Tokyo Jihen, she seems completely saddled by Ukigumo and Izawa. The quality I expect just isn't there when composing for Jihen anymore. I don't necessarily think that's the fault of Ukigumo or Izawa though. All you need to do is compare the single version or the non-Jihen lives of Ariamaru Tomi to the Jihen version. It's almost like she believes she needs to tone down the songs for Uki and Zawwy even though she really doesn't need to. They are completely capable of performing the songs as they were intended.

I'm not "hating" the new stuff. There's a few songs on Sports that I really like along with some songs that I do hate. The new single is OK. As I said earlier, Tengoku has a good concept that's poorly executed. It almost comes together, but ultimately doesn't stand out. I don't even have an opinion on Dopamint yet. Summary: Good, but not great and that leads to disappointment.
Old 2010.07.31, 11:02 AM   #64
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
The people who seriously like and defend the new stuff are like those guys whose favourite console is a PS3 "because of the power" they just don't know any better.

It's okay, I understand. Not everyone recovered from the shock of how bad it got and are still in a state of denial.
I think it's pretty a lack of respect with anyone's opinion that post of yours, for someone who was leaving days ago, you're being just too meany to the other members whose opinions are different from yours

I'm not trying to say you have to agree with anyone, but to disagree you don't really need to say things like that

I guess that's ok, mistakes will happen

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.31, 02:03 PM   #65
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I think Ukigumo is underestimated as a songwriter (and musician. Except his singing). His Petrolz stuff has a good atmosphere/mood to them. We only see glimpses of that in TJ. Metro and Kimaru come to mind. Compatibility issues with Jihen.

It's just that Hirama's more versatile.

I also thought that Rashipoki (Izawa) was better than Pianohead (HZM).
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.31, 06:29 PM   #66
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I love/loved Dopamint! For now the English in Tengoku really grates on me but I suspect it might grow on me the way la salle de bain did.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.31, 07:14 PM   #67
ROCKET

ROCKET pleased at least somebody

This board is flooded with nonsense statements, I agree with the one who suggested that. Every new releases gets pawned with critics here. I don't see the point why you continue to listen to her.

The band nowadays seems a lot in harmony to me, and Ukigumo totally rocks, both as guitarist, backup singer and songwriter. On guitar, he has a different style from that of a common rock guitarist - which is more the way to Hirama.

"Oh look at me, I'm throwing myself on the ground, Jack Black on school of Rock style, while I play a cliched guitar solo followed by heavy chords". His best work for me was on Genjitsu wo Warau, which incredibly sounds like something played by Ukigumo.

As a songwriter, he totally sucks. As my friend Rafakun says: "If you can touch it' is the song to leave the room and get a beer" on Dynamite Out (which is only so good because is crowded with Shiina Ringo songs amazingly performed).

More versatile? Yeah, like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0gMiOEAowM

And about Izawa, there is a simple example to show how much he rocks: Himitsu. Phase 1's version was just a cool, but common rock song. THAT's what I would call "nothing new" or "unoriginal idea". On the other hand, Adult's version, arranged by Izawa, it is just something out of this world. It totally twisted my mind when I first listened to it.

But maybe you are "rock purists" (which is a concept stupid by nature) and hate jazzy-rock arrangements which are so characteristic to Jihen nowadays.

Edit: Shiina Ringo is NOT going to release a new Shouso Strip! She has grown up, maybe you should too and get over it!

www.myspace.com/maximauze

Last edited by ROCKET : 2010.07.31 at 07:29 PM.
ROCKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.31, 07:44 PM   #68
Mr Sands

Mr Sands is headed in the right direction

I think it is all down to taste.

Anyway, of these 2 new songs I'm not too fond of Tengoku but I'm sure it will grow on me but I quite like Dopamint in a fun throwaway song kind of a way.
Mr Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.31, 08:25 PM   #69
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ROCKET View Post
And about Izawa, there is a simple example to show how much he rocks: Himitsu.
I think people here are satisfied with Adult.
But look at Dopamint, the chorus is really a joke.
ChickShhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.31, 09:16 PM   #70
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by ROCKET View Post
But maybe you are "rock purists" (which is a concept stupid by nature) !
Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel?

I dunno, sounds like you never saw phase 1 when they were in existence.

EDIT: FFFUUUUU (I blame Bongo, entirely)