Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2012.01.11, 06:23 PM   #121
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

in all the hubbub over the disbanding of jihen, it looks like most people have missed the liner notes/interview about Color Bars that has been posted.

I haven't had time to read the entire thing but it seems so far that Izawa and Hata are both singing vocals no their own tracks and this marks the first time Kameda wrote the lyrics to his own song. This makes me pretty interested after all.

Edit: I read the liner notes. some interesting points:

Apparently Hata does write music. He writes occasionally and originally brought his song to the table back when they were doing Sports and considering the single (and what became the 2 song track list). He always wanted to make his debut and he is surprised it is finally happening with Jihen.

The concept for this album was like one last great performance, Ringo specifically wanted to steer it away from a "the last thing we will ever record/release" sentiment, so rather than recap the best, they are going out strong and playing on their strengths. They basically set out with each person bringing the best one song they could muster.

Izawa's song doesn't feature Ringo's vocals because Ringo thought they "didn't need it." It has a edge. Uki's song is going to be new wave/dance, he wrote it with the specific hope he could hear it in clubs. Kameda's song is influenced by looking back on his experiences, especially after the loss of his father last year (so expect something Senkou Shoujo-y), and Hata's song, again, will feature his vocals and an edgy sound.

This is probably the most exciting release Jihen has done since Adult, particularly due to the unexpected nature of it. Pity this is the final effort. If it turns out amazing, it will be both great and sad, and if it sucks, well....we will have another Variety.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2012.01.11 at 08:03 PM.
Old 2012.01.11, 10:54 PM   #122
vielleicht

vielleicht pleased at least somebody

«Konya wa karasawagi» is a freaking great song, to me it sounds head and shoulders above the other thingies she did in the recent years. The only thing I'm not particularly content with is the simplistically repeated coda, there are better options than this J-pop styled sequence.
Old 2012.01.12, 06:09 AM   #123
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

Oh no. Now I'm looking forward to this. Hate to get disappointed... By the way. The release should be today-ish?
What a great way to bring hype to an album.

And oh "Konya wa karasawagi" is really titled "Beaucoup de Bruit pour Rien" in iTunes. I guess it goes to the Japanese title if you use a Japanese iTunes.

Last edited by Jonny : 2012.01.12 at 06:16 AM.
Old 2012.01.12, 06:15 AM   #124
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

No, it's the 18th. I just noticed that the topic title says "12th," too.
Old 2012.01.12, 06:39 AM   #125
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

Oh yeah 18... more waiting... :-/
Old 2012.01.12, 10:43 AM   #126
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Ohhh, I was going to wait until 2/15 to order color bars, Tokyo Collection, and Discovery DVD to save on shipping, but now I really want color bars.
Old 2012.01.15, 07:17 AM   #127
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Wow, this is terrible.

I don't see EPs in a good light, ESPECIALLY if they're called "mini albums".

I think EPs in a modern context are when an artist has a thought but it is not developed enough to be a full album. It's like a 2 minute song, very incomplete and amateurish.
I don't know why you think of EPs this way. Just because it's an EP doesn't mean the songs have to be short. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the band School Food Punishment, but their first 3 releases were EPs with 5 or 6 songs a piece and it's some of their best work. The releases never felt incomplete or "amateurish".

Some bands function better on EPs than they do albums because they can't hold your interest for 10 or more songs.
Old 2012.01.16, 05:36 PM   #128
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Copies have been shipped and it's time to move the discussion to Product Reviews and close this thread!
Closed Thread