Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.10.05, 01:33 PM   #7121
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

@so_cold
I just find it so odd, how, like Japan, the UK still has several girl groups and boy bands that are actually popular / taken seriously (to a certain degree).
I mean, in the US, the era of the boy band is long past. Every so often you see one pop up and try to make it, but they fail. And then you get the really old boy bands getting back together, but they fail to.

But in the UK, the same thing happens (with Take That), and they are somehow hugely successful. To my American mind, I want to turn to one of the UK fans and "Don't you realize that they are a boy band made up of 40 year olds!??!"

It's the same thing for Japan and SMAP and all the Johnny's boy bands. And AKB48, which even my girl-group loving self HATES.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.05, 02:40 PM   #7122
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

I can't say I'm an expert on the Take That revival, but I'd guess much of their success is due to their original fanbase pushing 40 themselves and wanting a bit of nostalgia.

Girl bands always had a greater chance of credibility than boy bands. They plugged into whatever trends were going on at the time (like mashups, I still rather like Sugarbabes - Freak Like Me) whereas the boys had to sit on stools and croon along to some monumentally dull dirge. I can remember the relief at the time when the Spice Girls replaced boybands as the ubiquitous thing on the radio. Finally, something with a bit of life...

CLT a 90s indie band. This is them being uncharacteristically nice to each other, happy and accessible. They had album titles called things like "Pointless Walks to Dismal Places"

Prolapse - TCR

Last edited by so_cold : 2011.10.05 at 03:43 PM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.06, 10:35 AM   #7123
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Bianca Antoinette - The Great Gig in the Sky

Why wouldn't people just stay quiet and in silence even while they are attending the best performance of this song ever done?
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.09, 01:37 AM   #7124
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

someone asked me about this song

Minami Saori - 17 sai (1971)

Moritaka Chisato (1989)

Ginnan Boyz (2008)
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.09, 02:02 PM   #7125
TurtleFu

EDIT:Terrible double post. Can you delete posts?
Old 2011.10.09, 02:02 PM   #7126
TurtleFu

Wow, you guys. Just wow. For all you Aussies and Kiwis out there, you are super lucky.

A Capella Vocal Techniques with an upbeat melody - Very Torikoshu Kurou

Really upbeat, with expressive vocals. Love the falsetto bridge, very funky

Very jazzy. Soulful vocals

Kimbra. She's like St. Vincent meets Amanda Palmer meets Shiina Ringo meets Robyn. Her debut album is currently only available Down Under, which makes my North American self sad

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2011.10.09 at 03:36 PM.
Old 2011.10.09, 03:50 PM   #7127
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Eww, Kimbra. I hear this shit all the time on the radio. :-p

Nah I guess she's not thaaaaaat bad, but it's still scarfcore.

@EmilScherbe: that song is really nice, Jun Togawa did a good job with it I think :-)

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.10.09 at 04:45 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.09, 05:30 PM   #7128
TurtleFu

...what is scarfcore?

I wish I could hear that on the radio. Is she well known over there deadgrandma? I literally know nothing about her other than her wikipedia page.
Old 2011.10.09, 05:39 PM   #7129
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Scarfcore is my trolling word for university orientated indie pop (the scarf comes from the clothes they wear) :-p

As far as I know, she's got a fair bit of a following... she's not as big as say, The Grates (who you MUST check out too) but she's definitely making her way up. But goddamn I'm tired of hearing Settle Down (I still think it's a cheap version of Roisin Murphy's first solo album's sound) every time I get in the car :-p I will not deny that she just drips with sex, as can be seen in the PV for Cameo Lover (which I like more than Settle Down by far- perhaps cause it's only played every second time I get in the car :-p)

Cameo Lover

However, the song she appears in here (Gotye's Somebody That I Used To Know) is a smash hit, also super over-played. But Aussies love that asshole here for some reason.

Somebody That I Used To Know

His (Gotye) song "Hearts A Mess" was another major smash- it's undeniably amazing though. It's also a great so to fuck to.

Hearts a Mess

So yeah, that's kind of a look at what's popular in young sexed up Australian university students atm. Well, apart from Lady Gaga and the usual.

If you want, I can probably hunt down the Kimbra CD for you. Damn, now that I've been searching through the vids for you, I'm starting to enjoy her :-(

CLT: Hole Binge.

I like when covers are as good as this:

Gold Dust Woman

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.10.09 at 07:40 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.09, 09:29 PM   #7130
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

This cover is simultaneously fabulous and terrible.
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote