Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2010.09.20, 10:06 AM   #1
jackmanca

jackmanca is headed in the right direction
Default Translated songs of Sports: Where can I find it?

Hi everybody, before starting, I need to say that I don't know if I'm posting in the right place, so if I'm not, I apologize to everyone!

Here's the thing: I'm an actress and I'm going to be on a performance, and I'd like to use the song Ikiru, but I don't know what the lyrics say (I just know the title means "to live") and I don't want to put a song in the performance without knowing exactly what is being told.

Does anyone know where I can find this song translated (and other of sports, specially Kimaru and Season Sayonara)?? Or does anyone can translate the song?

Again: if I posted in the wrong place, sorry!!
jackmanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.21, 09:55 AM   #2
D.K.Liu

D.K.Liu is an asset to this community

Usually, translation requests are posted on this thread --> http://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=10

Frecklegirl does translations of Shiina Ringo/Tokyo Jihen songs, but so far she has only released Noudouteki Sanpunkan and Senkou Shoujo from Sports
http://www.nostalgic-lavender.net/ringo/sports.html

I don't know how urgently you need the translation, but you could try machine translation (e.g. http://translate.google.com) on the lyrics. Another method is to use the rikaichan plug-in on Firefox, which displays Japanese-English dictionary entries on the text highlighted by your mouse/cursor.

Sorry I don't know enough Japanese to help you (I speak Mandarin Chinese). I know there are Chinese translations in the Taiwanese version of the album, but I couldn't find them on the internet.
D.K.Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.22, 02:11 PM   #3
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

It's kind of a shame Frecklegirl is like the only person who consistently translates SR's stuff into English. I mean, it seems like there would be at least one or two other people. But then again, there isn't really an active SR fansite (as opposed to fanforum) at the moment either. (No offense meant toward Sadistic Gossip, but it's a different kind of thing.)

That aside, I've been really wanting Sports translations too. So I am glad this was brought up.

P.S. I have a fansite in the works and will let you all know about it if I ever get it up and running. =)
Old 2010.09.22, 06:30 PM   #4
jackmanca

D. K. Liu, the google translator helped a lot (thanks for even providing the kanji lyrics)

Thanks a lot for helping!!
Old 2010.09.22, 06:51 PM   #5
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

It's one thing to do a translation that's literal; in that case, it's not so hard to translate interviews and popular journalism.

But song lyrics are tricky. Do you want them in real English, which means using creative license and sometimes sacrificing literalness to communicate certain emotions in English? Or do you want the more literal translation that, in English, sounds a bit alien?

It's hard work, and I can't imagine anyone doing a *great* job of translating that puts everything in proper English without getting paid for it. When I decode the lyrics (decode, not translate---I usually just read the lyrics in the booklets and look up a bunch of words) and get the essential meanings, I leave it at that and just enjoy it in Japanese. But if I were being asked (or paid) to translate it, I'd probably force a lot of colloquial English into it just so it reads naturally in English.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.23, 05:19 AM   #6
D.K.Liu

D.K.Liu is an asset to this community

To Jackmanca:
Don't put too much faith in the machine translations. If I remember correctly, Google was responsible for translating 極まる(kimaru ~ to the end/limit) into beaver... although they seem to have fixed that now. I highly recommend giving rikaichan a go if you have time.

You probably already know this, but if you want the romaji lyrics for singing, you can find them on Frecklegirl's site.
D.K.Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.23, 12:08 PM   #7
jackmanca

I have like one week to make the performance, and I know that I won't find a good translation (like freckelgirl's), so just reading some words and getting the main message it's alright. I get some japanese words (just by sound, I don't read in japanese at all), so just knowing some words meaning it's a big help already!

Oh, and thanks for the tips!
Old 2010.09.23, 08:21 PM   #8
obama917

obama917 has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Sorry this is off topic, but I just want to add that the word 'kimaru' has a more specific meaning. Japanese speakers (like me) say 'kimaru' when a move is completed perfectly and beautifully in sports like Judo and gymnastics, or in Kabuki, which Ringo loves so much. I guess this sport/Kabuki connotation was behind her choice of this title for the ending song of Sports. Just to translate a one-word title can be so tricky.

I'm not saying the song is about any sport or Kabuki. To me, the connection between the title 'kimaru' and the lyrics (written by Ukigumo) is rather symbolic.
obama917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.26, 10:22 AM   #9
jackmanca

Wow! Thanks for that! It's not off topic at al! This makes a lot of sense... Maybe she used this word to describe the beauty of something completedly perfectly, as you said, but not only in sports and kabuli, but in a more general meaning...

Each day I like more these songs... I can't stop listening to the ultra c versions of them!