Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2012.11.02, 06:54 PM   #11
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

...still what marvelous collections of songs. All TJ albums are pop/rock perfection.

As for the tender vocals at beginning of Sakana, I believe they fit the loli nature of SS. Stoicism would be another good example because of it's innocent goofiness. At this stage of her career, if she decided to sing in a schoolgirl uniform and sucking a lolipop, it would seem entirely appropriate. She would probably make more money if she continued this way.

Last edited by Inseu : 2012.11.02 at 09:03 PM.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.02, 07:00 PM   #12
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
Someone else once told me they couldn't stand the beginning of Sakana, and that they were often ignoring the rest of the track because of that. I wouldn't get rid of that, because I view it as a pre-song which.. PREPARES you for the rest of the song.
I am that guy! I skipped Sakana for about a year before I actually bothered to listen to it!
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.02, 09:26 PM   #13
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

^
When I first heard about anyone skipping over Sakana due to its beginning, this was in like.. 2008.

Keep in mind this community has been around since before that, and some of us have occasionally said things to each other through other channels as well. Sakana has been around for at least a decade, so odds are pretty low that skipping that track is this totally unique ritual that only one Shiina Ringo fan has ever done.
Old 2012.11.02, 10:00 PM   #14
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Got another one: SR's cover of Can't Take My Eyes Off You. Starts out fantastic. Love it. But when she starts screaming "Bay-beeeeeeeeeeeeee" toward the end I cringe.

Her cover of Autumn Leaves also drives me batsy. French part sucks, English part is awesome.

I can also do completely without the rapid-fire closing bit of OSCA. The live version is fine as a crowd-whipper-upper, but I'm done with it as a song before the bass solo. Everything before that is perfectly fine.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.02, 10:20 PM   #15
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
The very beginning of Ramp.
the problem with Ramp is that the verses are good but the chorus is horrid.
Ikiru (though I love the whole song now) - the second part after the band enters can be quite messy (esp. on Ultra C)
Yukiguni - same problem like Ikiru
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.03, 12:51 AM   #16
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

I could really do without the Kesho Naoshi outro. Also, Yukiguni is a much better song before the guitar and drums kick in. However, the lead-in to Kabuki is fucking fantastic. One of my favorite Tokyo Jihen moments. Period.

Sports is really of the worst offenders of this though.

Denpa Tsuushin - The most pointless outro in her career. Really wish the song just ended with her singing that last note.
FAIR - The first 10 seconds got me psyched for a song that ultimately didn't match up. Izawa's keyboard solo ruins the song as soon as it comes in.
Zettai Zetsumei - The first minute or so of this is basically sex in pop music form while the rest of the song just peaks at "pretty good".
Noriki - Only part I like is the slow breakdown after the 2 minute mark. The rest is not my cup of tea.
Sweet Spot - Doesn't really get great until the guitar solo and onwards. I love that middle section and the layered vocals.
Old 2012.11.03, 03:31 AM   #17
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

^Denpa Tsuushin is followed by another fast song. The outro lets the listener take a little break. Great idea imo.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.03, 05:48 AM   #18
TurtleFu

Uh, buh, wuh?
Denpa Tsuchin is 105 BPM.
Season Sayonara is 87 BPM.
They're both kind of moderately-fast or mid-tempo, but Season Sayonara is definitely slower than Denpa Tsuchin. I'll have to check the BPM for the Denpa Tsuchin outro.
A better idea would be to have an outro that lowers the BPM of Denpa Tsuchin a little to flow more easily into Season Sayonara.

EDIT: I edited out the outro of Denpa Tsuchin, and it flows much better into Season Sayonara.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2012.11.03 at 05:53 AM.
Old 2012.11.03, 05:53 AM   #19
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
Someone else once told me they couldn't stand the beginning of Sakana, and that they were often ignoring the rest of the track because of that.
I'm the opposite, I love the beginning but not so much the rest of the song
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.03, 06:05 AM   #20
TurtleFu

@Glath
I know, I know! I didn't mean it like that, I meant that I'm one of those people. I imagine that there are a lot of people who skip Sakana based on the opening.