Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.11.21, 06:53 PM   #31
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
I can't speak for Gekokujyo, but all I've read said about SR's lyrics lately could have been based on reading translations of them. I recommend Frecklegirl's website, she's very thorough and often includes very helpful translation/cultural notes. At one point, she'd translated all of SR's lyrics, and is *supposedly* in the process of re-translating them after having had them removed. :\
I've been planning on using Frecklegirl's translations to make myself Japanese/English flashcards for a while now. Once I take the JLPT N3 in a couple of weeks (I'll definitely fail, but it'll help me prepare for next year) it'll be one of my first projects.

That ties in to my view on parsing Ringo's lyrics. I don't want to have to rely on someone else's translation, or translation of a translation, then filtered through another person's viewpoint to parse the messages in her songs. It becomes a game of telephone. I want to understand the Japanese lyrics as well as their cultural context, so I can form my own opinion directly from the source. Frecklegirl's detailed notes and translations are very helpful in that aspect.
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.21, 07:29 PM   #32
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

centigrade-j (when it still existed) had some of the best translations, for me. unfortunately they don't really do those anymore
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.21, 07:54 PM   #33
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by mrnarse View Post
I've been planning on using Frecklegirl's translations to make myself Japanese/English flashcards for a while now. Once I take the JLPT N3 in a couple of weeks (I'll definitely fail, but it'll help me prepare for next year) it'll be one of my first projects.

That ties in to my view on parsing Ringo's lyrics. I don't want to have to rely on someone else's translation, or translation of a translation, then filtered through another person's viewpoint to parse the messages in her songs. It becomes a game of telephone. I want to understand the Japanese lyrics as well as their cultural context, so I can form my own opinion directly from the source. Frecklegirl's detailed notes and translations are very helpful in that aspect.
We are totally on the same page! I wanted to make flashcards out of Ringo's lyrics for the JLPT as well.

And yes, you're right about it being a telephone game. That's where questions of ambiguity and audience arise. I believe the specificity of her lyrics is less important in some degrees now as I get more of a sense that SR is writing for an international (European?) audience in addition to her Japanese audience. Earlier in her career, she claimed she had no interest of traveling to the U.S. or distributing her works outside of Asia.
Old 2014.11.22, 06:10 AM   #34
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I'm not really sure if that is practical.
After all, Ringo uses tons of words that people in modern day Japan don't use at all.
You'll sound like you're from the Showa-era.

And even Japanese people don't understand Ringo's lyrics.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.22, 07:05 AM   #35
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

I wouldn't recommend studying from Ringo's lyrics either. Find something more practical.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.22, 02:18 PM   #36
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

For me it's more for my own personal pleasure, that's why I'm waiting until after the JLPT to study her lyrics. For practical study I don't really use lyrics at all, just regular sentences.
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.22, 04:11 PM   #37
Parsec

Parsec is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Woaahh I didn't know this existed, this is great! Really hope it gets properly released one day..
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.22, 04:18 PM   #38
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by mrnarse View Post
For me it's more for my own personal pleasure, that's why I'm waiting until after the JLPT to study her lyrics. For practical study I don't really use lyrics at all, just regular sentences.
You should all learn Chinese using Sa Dingding lyrics flashcards next. Oh wait, lots of her songs are in gibberish. (Yet still are totally powerful and moving, but that argument's over now :-p...)

Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Woaahh I didn't know this existed, this is great! Really hope it gets properly released one day..
Sadly, it's fading into obscurity and the hopes are becoming lower and lower. Though, never say never, EMI are greedy cash grabbers so you never know. Still, at least it manages to catch some people who haven't seen it off guard. Everytime I see it I feel totally entranced by it, it's what I imagine a nu-KZK would have sounded like (well that and the track Between Today and Tomorrow she wrote for that ballet movie).
Old 2014.11.22, 04:33 PM   #39
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

BTW, Ringo isn't on EMI anymore.
EMI went down under. She's on Universal Music Japan now (all EMI Japan artists are), and her new music videos are published through their YouTube channel.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.22, 04:43 PM   #40
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Is that why she sucks so much now :-p

Actually, there's no EMI logo at all on Sunny (there was one on NIPPON though), says Universal/Virgin

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.11.22 at 04:52 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote