Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.11.30, 09:02 PM   #21
lin_hikaru_7

lin_hikaru_7 pleased at least somebody

I passed around Le Salle de Bain, and got real good responses. Nobody became a follower though.

I do have one who I think I introduced her to him. He really liked which is kind of surprising because he is a big Koda Kumi and Ayu fan. Still, he is a big music fan, of all sorts of things, his love for sexy girly idols just sort of rises to the top.
Old 2007.11.30, 10:23 PM   #22
madpawn

madpawn pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Canto View Post
I used to introduce SR to my male friends who are into music (like my former bandmates). When they heard that SR is a female artist, their interests soon distracted to "how she looks like?" "is she sexy?" and such, no matter how many times I tell them to focus on her music. It's just when the it comes to female artists they'll no longer believe that they can be musically good without being a puppet of male manipulators.

Once I said to one of them "I believe SR is the best artst I bumped into in a long time..." and he suddenly blurted "woman making music....euh..."
This is why you introduce her to gay guys. Worked every time for me.
madpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.01, 01:07 PM   #23
zarya

zarya is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by madpawn View Post
This is why you introduce her to gay guys. Worked every time for me.
That made me think... and I realized, the only other fans I know irl are gay men.
zarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.01, 07:50 PM   #24
RollOverHobo

RollOverHobo pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Kasanagi View Post
Yea nobody likes her voice...
Which is a shame because the music transcends so much from the "superficial" what it sounds like (if that makes sense)....I can't imagine her songs, for instance, Honnou w/o her voice...it's just wouldn't sound right.

I tried converting my best friend but sadly that didn't pan out. I unconsciously pimped Sakana to my other friend, thinking he wouldn't like it and he did but I haven't helped him along....in a way I feel that if people really like the music they'd come begging for more and that hasn't exactly happened (I've made some other people listen....one didn't like her voice, another one didn't like that it was japanese, another one was too sleepy to pay attention)....I have essntially given up.... shiina is such a great artist but if you can't get into shiina, at least to affirm your like or dislike of her music then you don't belong in the fandom at all....

It's a little depressing to think I'm so lonely in my taste....I suppose that's what the internet is for
RollOverHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.01, 09:08 PM   #25
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by RollOverHobo View Post
in a way I feel that if people really like the music they'd come begging for more and that hasn't exactly happened
Yeah, I get this feeling sometimes too. I think it's just that some people are just too casual towards music, even what they really like. For example, I got a cd of band that my brother also really likes, moreso than me, and I asked him if he wanted to rip it to his pc and he finally did it today after about a week. I figured he'd be dying for it since he is always singing that band's songs. But, to him, music is just a sort of entertainment for boring times or something, and not something that he can really appreciate for the talent of the musicians and the work as an art and not just a filler for moments of his life.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.02, 10:05 AM   #26
baboo

baboo is headed in the right direction

Firstly, I tried to convert my close friends. They said Shiina sounds like Chip and Dale ---> unsuccessful.

Secondly, I tried to convert my boy classmates. They said Shiina looked ugly. Not to mention listening to her ---> unsuccessful

Thirdly, I showed my friend's arts teacher "Killer Tune" PV and she said she liked Shiina style. She was later obsessed with Yatsutsuke Shigoto PV, adoring the moment when Shiina flipped open her fan....I promised her to burn a introdutory CD to Shiina and Tokyo JIhen for her but still can't find time to do it >____<. So I put this under hopeful case

Now, I don't want to share my Shiina with anyone! Tokyo Jihen and Shiina Ringo are getting increasingly popular in my place. If people really want to know about Shiina, they can just find out about her easily by purchasing her CDs at HMV and trying it out.

Still want to introduce Shiina Ringo to my ensemble-mates though. So we can play Shiina stuff sometimes. So far, no one seems even interested in Japanese music T_T
Old 2007.12.02, 04:18 PM   #27
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Frankly, SR's voice (especially MM/SS era SR) is really an acquired taste.
But her music was too damn interesting to pass up, so I had to make myself like that voice. It's not the normal acceptable beautiful type of voice, and it's only getting better now.

(Sadly, the music is getting worse. Stupid Tokyo Jihen phase 2.)
Old 2007.12.02, 05:16 PM   #28
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Conclusion- Don't try to convert anyone to SR. Keep all that Shiina goodness to yourself. Makes her even more special.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.02, 06:00 PM   #29
vertigoblack

vertigoblack pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post
That's exactly what it is. You gotta be at the right point in your musical development to be able to accept shiina.
ha ha. I was one of those MTV chasing, pop ppl. Used to turn on the radio everyday and hear the same old Sean Kingston, Rihanna and MCR being belched out by the hour until i was sick of it.
vertigoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.02, 06:06 PM   #30
nappyhead

nappyhead pleased at least somebody

I have sadly only converted two guys. The first one is interested more in TJ and the other really likes her Sigma. Most of my friends are not really interested, yeah they liked SR just until her voice started pitching higher and higher.

So yeah, I agree with justriiingo about SR's voice being an acquired taste.
nappyhead is offline   Reply With Quote