Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.03.22, 05:54 AM   #1
kamikaze

kamikaze is headed in the right direction
Default Japan Nite

http://sxsw-asia.com/JapanNite2009/tourdate.html

If you're anywhere near those cities, I'd advice you catch a show. It's worth it for detroit7 and Sparta Locals alone, but I was impressed with some of the other bands too. I also saw alot of potential in the young band FLiP, great vibe. All in all, awesome show.
Old 2009.03.27, 04:09 PM   #2
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Well, tonight I am attending the Seattle portion of the Japan Nite tour. For me, detroit7 is the main reason to go there. If any of the other bands I'm not familiar with turn out to be good - that's great too.

I wasn't completely ready for detroit7 the first time I witnessed them in concert, because I hadn't heard much of their material before (only what was at their MySpace). It's extra nice to see a band like this after you are already well-acquainted with their discography.
Old 2009.03.27, 09:38 PM   #3
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I'm going to the LA show on Sunday with a lady from Taiwan.

Glat, if you get a chance, please post your thoughts on the show before Sunday, and let me know the order of bands! (We might be a little late getting there.) Thanks!
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.28, 03:07 AM   #4
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

In other years, Japan Nite has switched around the band order from one city to the next, so try not to expect too much out of this lineup:

The Slants (this is unique to Seatle - they aren't involved with any other portion of the Japan Nite tour)
FLiP
Omodaka
Sparta Locals
detroit7
SA

Here's the setlist for detroit7:
Baby in Galaxy
Mahotsukai Sally
IN THE SUNSHINE
song I've never heard before
Beautiful Song
Inside
Owari wa Hajimari

My memory is a bit fuzzy near the end of it (so the last two entries of my setlist might not be quite right), because one drunken idiot near me was trying to do moshing at the time, almost got his ass kicked from provoking a dozen people to near the end of their patience, and this was a huge distraction. People near me were holding beer, some beer got splattered onto a detroit7 poster I was holding, and I almost got knocked over (in a domino effect) several times. Nabana (the guitarist/vocalist/songwriter of detroit7) swapped out some of her last lyrics of one song for "don't fight", and then repeated it in a normal tone after the song was over. The fight with the mosher was breaking out maybe 3 people away from the very front, and I was in a nearby side position (also very close to the front) with the potential to join in with the fight (I was thinking about it).

After that mosher got dragged away by his friend, three separate girls near me (almost forming a triangle around me - with one layer of domino victims between) got into some over-enthusiastic dancing that bordered on moshing. This went on for quite some time, and I almost didn't take any pictures of SA.

detroit7 was the most intense band of the night. Even when the moshing wasn't going on, I spent less time taking good photographs, and more time paying personal attention to each of the performers. All three were a pleasure to watch - especially the drummer. She was going at mach speed and looked like she really enjoyed what she was doing. Everyone else's instruments could barely keep up, and Nabana's vocals were falling slightly behind.

After the performances (of all the bands) were over, I got all three members of detroit7 to sign my limited copy of EP Vol.1 (out-of-print from 2005). The band was quite shocked that I had this (the tour/venue was only selling their new/American album). Nabana spoke good enough English to ask me if I got it on Amazon. I told her I got it at Yahoo! Japan Auctions through a deputy/proxy service bidding in their name on my behalf, receiving the shipment in Tokyo, then forwarding it to me. She had this really big smile that would not go away for as long as I continued to stand near her and look at her. It bothered me a bit because I didn't know how much of it was real. If it were the end of a dating encounter, I might have taken it as my cue to kiss her.

Omodaka was... surprisingly good. Actually I saw a video of his almost a whole year ago, and it's one of the very few things I've ever bothered to Favorite at YouTube. I didn't have a closer familiarity with the artist and didn't make the connection in my mind, until he started playing that song infront of me. At first I thought "He must be just remixing this song. Nobody brilliant enough to produce the original, would ever go on a tour of this kind". Slowly but surely, I realized and accepted that this really was his song, and that he was really one of the best things to happen to Japan Nite in years.

Here's a couple of tips for you:
Bring earplugs. They don't need to be extremely special ones. Entry-level earplugs will make the music sound like it's at a 'normal' listening level (cranking it up about as loud as your home stereo can go). No earplugs will, pretty much kill your hearing to some extent. I tried one year of Japan Nite without them, and I'm never doing that again.
Bring at least $60 in cash. Basically all of the CDs are $10 each., and you might see other stuff you want.
Try to get there at least 30 minutes early so you can claim a good standing spot - not to mention a good parking space. The venue could be so packed full of people after the first artist or two, that there's no way in hell you are getting anywhere near the front, if you show up late. Trust me, you at least want to be at the front for Omodaka. If you end up at the almost-front, you'll be sorry. I know I was.

I'll update this post and fill in the "song I never heard before"s with whatever is on the American album (that's where they have to be from - because I've heard everything else).

*edit*
I can't remember the play order anymore, but after hearing the new American CD, I know that Louie Louie was one of the songs I hadn't heard before. Mr. Kato On The Road may have been another one. I have no idea what the remaining song was.
Old 2009.03.28, 12:59 PM   #5
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Thanks for that, Glat. There's no way I'll get there 30 minutes early but standing at the back for my previous Japan Nite (as well as having earplugs, which I will definitely be bringing) was fine---especially when the moshing started. I don't mosh. Between acts it's possible to squirm around a bit for better spots.

LA is saying detroit7 is the headlining act, so I doubt it'll be first.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.28, 03:34 PM   #6
Glathannus
True Final Boss

I also thought I should point out, that between each of the bands' performances (while they were setting up) - that there was Japanese background music unrelated to the bands (past and presently) involved with the tour. Most of the music I didn't recognize, but I heard a Blankey Jet City song (D.I.J. no Pistol) while SA was setting up, plus I could have sworn I heard Kojima Mayumi at one point (I'm not familiar with anywhere near her whole discography - but her voice is very distinct). Whoever decides on the background music - has really good taste for Japanese artists who are very internationally underexposed. If they don't play the exact same background music at every city, then I wonder if they ever will (or ever have) play(ed) Shiina Ringo in the background during setup time for any of the touring bands.
Old 2009.03.31, 05:38 AM   #7
kamikaze

kamikaze is headed in the right direction

I think Nabana is pretty intense but not like Kosei Abe. That guy is a maniac live, it's great.
Old 2009.11.05, 08:56 PM   #8
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

OMG will they come to Japan!?
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.05, 08:58 PM   #9
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Who is 'they'? Most of these artists have done plenty of touring in Japan before and after this North American event.
Old 2010.08.12, 07:21 PM   #10
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

you have no sense of humor at all dude. I think I had seen Omodaka the night I posted that and got really excited about seeing his name here.

Apparently I just looked through some dude from SA's wife's CD collection. It was totally decent for generic rock and funk. How was SA by the way? Milk your memories.
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote