Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2014.03.13, 09:35 AM   #131
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

I'm a pretty big Utada fan, but I haven't even listened to First Love. I had no desire to ever hear it. Deep River, Distance, Ultra Blue and Heart Station are enough for me.

I think Sakura Nagashi is one of the best songs she's done recently. Her voice sounds great.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.13, 04:59 PM   #132
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Ok, relistening to Automatic, it's still pretty dated, but damn it's fun. So First Love does have some merit.
I've always wondered what type of studio trickery she uses for her voice. Because every live performance (and I've seen her DVDs and seen her live). Her voices are not as smooth as the studio, they are... huskier, scratcher, thinner. She has such mellow, even tones in all her recordings. She's claimed that her voice fatigues quickly, so maybe if you catch her on the very first tour date her voice sounds great? IDK. I think when I caught her it was the second-to-last date on her tour or something.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.14, 02:04 AM   #133
anonlurker

Automatic is the obvious biggy on that record but I think In My Room is the best track.
Old 2014.03.15, 08:29 AM   #134
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Ok, relistening to Automatic, it's still pretty dated, but damn it's fun. So First Love does have some merit.
I've always wondered what type of studio trickery she uses for her voice. Because every live performance (and I've seen her DVDs and seen her live). Her voices are not as smooth as the studio, they are... huskier, scratcher, thinner. She has such mellow, even tones in all her recordings. She's claimed that her voice fatigues quickly, so maybe if you catch her on the very first tour date her voice sounds great? IDK. I think when I caught her it was the second-to-last date on her tour or something.
Before I got to the bolded part, I was typing this response in my head:

DVD lives are generally from the tour finale so her voice is probably shot by then. Ringo and many other artists are like that as well. Common for people who don't tour very often. I'd also consider it a sign of a lack of proper vocal training and a lack of proper vocal preparation.

Her main studio trick is that she has unlimited takes. : /
Old 2014.03.15, 10:28 AM   #135
TurtleFu

I saw bootlegs of her Honolulu show (which was her first show of that tour), and her voice sounded better but still pretty scratchy.

Probably if she goes on tour again I'll try and catch the very first date.
Old 2014.03.15, 01:03 PM   #136
FadedSun

Originally Posted by Maou View Post

Her main studio trick is that she has unlimited takes. : /
That's every singer!

Even if she still doesn't sound her best live, I really admire her spirit to keep pushing forward. I remember a live version of "Keep Trying" that was so perfect for this. It was one of the last songs of her set, if not the last. Her voice was incredibly weak at this point, but she pressed on and did the best she could. I loved that. The lyrics couldn't have been any more perfect at the time.

They have an obnoxious lockdown on any thing Utada on Youtube, so I unfortunately can't show you the video I mentioned.

I don't think a first date would be the best choice if wanted to hear a singer at their best. I would imagine somewhere in the middle or early beginning of a tour while their voice is still warmed up.
Old 2014.03.15, 06:50 PM   #137
TurtleFu

I do think she's fanastic live though. Her voice doesn't sound great but she puts so much energy into her performances, her songs really come alive.
Old 2014.03.15, 07:10 PM   #138
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Only on Utada United do I agree with you :-p
Old 2014.03.15, 07:27 PM   #139
FadedSun

This is one of my favorites from Utada United. SO GOOD.

I guess they aren't cracking down on Facebook posts Better watch it while it's still here.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...=2096576266294

I was able to find the live vid of "Keep Trying" I was talking about earlier, too. Also from United. You can tell how tired she is at this point, especially during the break in the song.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/d...6---keep-tryin

Last edited by FadedSun : 2014.03.15 at 07:37 PM.
Old 2014.03.16, 08:33 AM   #140
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
They have an obnoxious lockdown on any thing Utada on Youtube, so I unfortunately can't show you the video I mentioned.
It's probably our (EMF's) fault because of that time we assaulted Jihad with Hikki videos after he said he had never really given her a listen.