Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2011.10.03, 03:22 PM   #181
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
the problem that plagues ringo lately is the the same that plagues most artists in this digital age. rather than compose albums as whole they tend to produce tracks, which you can buy one by one, and as a result I think her albums have weakened, but she always comes out of of nowhere with one or two tracks on every release that I can't get enough of. Sports had two or three, Daihakken had one or two. What is sad is that MM, SS, KZK, those are albums I think of in their entirety and now I just think of her as good or bad songs. I don't think of concepts or albums.
This struck me as right on. Daihakken represents this the strongest. Dopamint! comes literally out of nowhere and disrupts the flow of the album up to then (for what it was) to the point where I saw Dopamint! and onwards as a while different album, and not a very well-integrated one at that. Even though it has highspots.

She seems to be one of the new breed of morsel-musicians: give me a little bit of this or that, but forget the whole meal. Her albums are now a series of attempted highlights, every piece with a beginning, middle, and end, and then on to the next beginning.

Dynamite Out! was the first sign of this. Every track played to the hilt, nothing like the conceptual brilliance of Electric Mole. As much as I hated the little diversions in EM, the animations and the cutaways, I sort of miss them now, when we get two dozen tracks of wall-to-wall music interspersed with goofy light shows.

Because of that, I can see why people get upset when she tries to display old-Ringo tendencies: sexually symbolic lyrics, symmetrical tracking orders, costume play. Those things served a particular purpose, and now seem like self-parody.

Minute by minute, she is still world-class. Hour by hour, not so much.
Old 2011.10.03, 03:43 PM   #182
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Yawn. It's all the same people posting the same shit again. Gonna sit this one out. 5 or 6 people that know each other quite well by now does not even come close to representing ringos fan base
Old 2011.10.03, 03:57 PM   #183
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Yawn. It's all the same people posting the same shit again. Gonna sit this one out. 5 or 6 people that know each other quite well by now does not even come close to representing ringos fan base
Would you prefer it if I told you she upset a lot of fans in Japan as well? (At least based on anecdotal evidence from a couple of people I've met)

Why don't you post something lengthy, and positive about why you like this song instead of just 80 snotty one-line put downs a day?

Old 2011.10.03, 03:58 PM   #184
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

But it is the same people, with exactly the same opinions they always have. You know it be true.

I mean, who wants to read me saying why I like it when it'll be the same repetitive shit? I don't wanna even type it. I feel I no longer need a reason to justify why I like something anymore. Particularly on the internet. Nope, I'd rather sit back and watch it all vicariously from now on. And here I am, getting involved again. Fucksake.

Anyway, I don't even read anything about Carnation here. The full song isn't even released yet. It's also a song for a TV show, and looking at the trailers for that particular show, the music fits the theme of said show. Was this not the purpose? Sheesh.

Short snotty one-line put downs: I'm the master.

Is this post long enough for you?

Gah, now I feel so bitter. It seems Ringo is the One Ring.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.10.03 at 04:43 PM.
Old 2011.10.03, 05:02 PM   #185
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I don't want to inject myself in the middle of this but I will step out on a limb here and say that deadgrandma, you are wrong about this forum. it isn't the same people saying the same shit, and hell, I've been around since SS and long before this forum existed, as have some other members here, and one thing you will find is that as we grow and change, so does ringo. so what is the problem with the negative criticism? if you don't like it then don't comment on it. this is a public space and the freedom to express our love or hate of anything ringo does is our prerogative. that is what makes this forum a challenging but rewarding place to be.

hell, I can look back to my posts from three or four years ago and see exactly the same thing your writing now, but that is just it, people evolve, tastes differ.

however, if the common consensus is that ringo seems to be phoning it in, so to speak, you can hardly take blame with us...
Old 2011.10.03, 05:14 PM   #186
deadgrandma

I have no problem with negative criticism (well that's a lie- there's no way ANYONE could be happy with someone criticizing what you like, but I tolerate it), but noone has really said anything about Carnation have they? I just feel it's far too early when only a snippit has been released. But oh well.

I still feel there are only a few people that are frequent posters. There's so many people who don't say anything because they don't like the bitterness (then again, it takes a bitter person to know a bitter person I guess) present from both positive or negative or can't be bothered because they know that their comments are gonna get lost in the sea of comments by us frequent posters.

But you know, if I say something like "Carnation sounds pretty, lovely and lilting" I know someones gonna come in with a mountain of text telling me why it's not. My opinion is far to predictable, as is many others.

But... maybe it's just me. Lately with most musicians I feel the opposite of the main consensus. I think the new Tori Amos album is boring, I love the new Bjork, I love the new Opeth etc etc. It could be that my taste is off or I'm far too hip.

Either way, I'm staying out of this until the full song is released, unless someone comments directly to me.

Enjoy, don't enjoy, it's your ears.
Old 2011.10.03, 05:19 PM   #187
kuro_neko

look what I just found!!!

full version??

Carnation - Shiina Ringo (full)

I gotta say the more I listen to it the more it is growing on me. The only thing I don't like is that it feels like Ringo constructed the piece and her vocals separately. It is quite a beautiful song without her vocals...

the more I hear I'm not so sure what this is. Is it an extended opening version used in the show? the random epicness that begins at 3:20 is kinda cool though.
Old 2011.10.03, 05:25 PM   #188
deadgrandma

It sounds like the OP with end credits music immediately after or something? Who has seen the show to confirm?
Old 2011.10.03, 05:28 PM   #189
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
It sounds like the OP with end credits music immediately after or something? Who has seen the show to confirm?
oh good guess.

you know...now that we've heard a bit of carnation I think its fair to say that both this and between today and tomorrow feel coherent, enough that I could imagine her working on a more classical tinged album...
Old 2011.10.03, 05:31 PM   #190
deadgrandma

We will see, when the B sides that may eventually become A sides and the bside of between today and tomorrow has vocals in it whether said A sides and Bsides that may become album version of those A sides and B sides become new album :-p

Classical? As long as she doesn't put her kid on it *evil grin* jk

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.10.03 at 05:36 PM.
Closed Thread