Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.04.28, 04:21 PM   #81
hishy

hishy pleased at least somebody

Utada Hikaru

damn you

"I won't last a day without you"

and then I forget why I ended up downloading KSK, but needless to say, it should be obvious from there.

hishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.29, 01:34 PM   #82
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by whitechapel View Post
Hmmm, when my friends were vaguely into DDR circa 2000ish I d/led a DDR track called 'kofukuron'. It wasn't a very good DDR track but I liked the music

wc.
what? Koufukuron was a DDR song??
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.01, 02:28 PM   #83
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

My theater work in Shimokitazawa in '02 rekindled an interest in Japanese music (I was a big YMO fan long ago) when an actor played some Cornelius. I realized that not all Japanese contemporary music was disposable robo-pop. To cut to the chase, one day while websurfing I came across a site that described various singers and groups and I was really impressed by the description of Cocco. And the first words of that article were "Flag bearer for many artists like Shiina Ringo and Yaida Hitomi who make music by reaching deep into their heart..." and boom, I decided to concentrate on the music of talented Japanese female singer/songwriters. Simple as that.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.01, 03:31 PM   #84
jigenbakuda

jigenbakuda is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
My theater work in Shimokitazawa in '02 rekindled an interest in Japanese music (I was a big YMO fan long ago) when an actor played some Cornelius. I realized that not all Japanese contemporary music was disposable robo-pop. To cut to the chase, one day while websurfing I came across a site that described various singers and groups and I was really impressed by the description of Cocco. And the first words of that article were "Flag bearer for many artists like Shiina Ringo and Yaida Hitomi who make music by reaching deep into their heart..." and boom, I decided to concentrate on the music of talented Japanese female singer/songwriters. Simple as that.
Wow that was awesome. YMO plus cornelius? Thats pretty awesome my friend. Too bad my story is not that cool. But I like your taste in music. But I am a j-music addict... unfortunately, so I love robo-pop (FUCKING perfume, nocchi I am your shining knight!)

If one lays a trap, isn't it the victims fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.03, 05:55 AM   #85
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

I do love Halcali, who teeter on the edge of my definition of robo-pop, being a manufactured band with just about no say in the production of their music. And I'm a huge Puffy fan, 30 albums and singles, front row at three concerts, heck, my name is Amifan on some other forums. But they are totally not robo-pop, amd I will happily excoriate any naysayer with a barrage of unassailable truths in whichever forum is appropriate.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.03, 07:09 AM   #86
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

^ Puffy is the truth
Old 2008.05.03, 04:03 PM   #87
dawnie

dawnie pleased at least somebody

shuraba really hooked me, like a fish, i can still remember

Last edited by dawnie : 2008.05.03 at 04:10 PM.
dawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.06, 06:16 AM   #88
wilson

wilson pleased at least somebody

Hi, i really discover Shiina's world with "Sounan video. it was great! ^^ so after it I decided to be really interested in the ancient works of Ringo.
the video clips had a important part for me. Finally i'm fond of shiina and tokyo jihen since 2004 ^^
wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.06, 06:02 PM   #89
digdad

digdad has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I have yet to post in this thread, so here goes. There are a couple of things that came together to lead me to Shiina. First, there was the start of my interest in Japanese music. Mine did not come via anime or video games or anything like that. Rather, a friend was into the Pillows and had collected the majority of their music and gave me the whole set of mp3s. I'd say that for two years or so I would listen to the occassional song by them but that was it. Eventually, slowly, their music sank in and I began listening to them quite a bit. Since I liked their music more than contemporary American music, I started to search out other Japanese acts, although focusing on male singers. Most of the female singers I saw on YouTube seemed to be cutesy J-Pop fare, which is fine for some, but not really my style.

At the same time I was becoming very proficient at tracking down mp3s and, being a Beatles nut, was searching for a lot of Beatles and solo Beatles music. I collect Beatles records, but records didn't transfer to my new (at the time) iPod easily. (It's not too difficult either, but with the logistics of moving my stereo equipment close to my computer and then paying for software to make the transfer process smoother, it was a better option to just find the counterparts to my vinyl already on the internet.) Anyway, my Ringo Starr searches kept pulling up Shiina Ringo, but for the longest time I never even gave her a listen because I assumed she would be more of the cutesy J-Pop. Poor sad Digdad.

Enter Tokyo Jihen. I don't even remember how, but I came across the OSCA video on YouTube and thought it was refreshing in how out there it was. Finding rocking jazzy funk in Japanese was just what the doctor ordered. I looked up a bit about the band and was surprised to find out it was Shiina Ringo. The same Shiina Ringo I wrote off so quickly before. Again, poor sad Digdad. I also found out that she had done a Beatles and a John Lennon cover. Not only that, but the Beatles cover was not a typical love song, oh no, it was Yer Blues. Done and sold. So I quickly began tracking down her material via YouTube and mp3 sites. While my initial introduction to her was OSCA, the first music of hers that I really began to listen to extensively and get incredibly hooked on were first Shouso Strip and then Muzai Moratorium. It was only later after several listens that KSK began to sink into my psyche and overtake her other albums as my favorite.
Old 2008.07.05, 07:58 PM   #90
shathe

shathe pleased at least somebody

seems like no one was there...

i was in a bar in shinjuku getting pissed off at all the smap and other obnoxious j-pop crap that was blasting out from a tv hanging from the ceiling while i was trying to have a beer and talk to my co-workers. and the in slapped me in the face... honnou. at that time i was pretty convinced that music was dead in japan. i had never heard anything remotely interesting that had been done in the last two decades... seemed like inoue yousui, morita douji, and arai yumi were about the only thing that were really worth listing to from japan.

but her voice and the music caught my attention, and then i saw the video. damn. it kind of haunted me for a couple of days and then i saw a cm on tv. and then i went out and found muzai.

i'm really glad she's blossomed musically. expanding, changing, evolving.

she kind of inspired me to dig around a bit, and i found a few real artists (e.g., yamazaki masayoshi) on the japanese music scene.

thanks ringo.

Originally Posted by Canto View Post
The brand of cigarettes she smoked was Hi-lite Blue, 1.4 mg. As we know most women's cigarette contains nicotine varying from 0.1 to 0.5 mg. Hi-lite Blue is way too heavy for a girl. Therefore it damaged her voice.

way too heavy for a girl...
i see, so she just smoked the "wrong kind" of cigarettes...
you must be japanese. "women's cigarettes"? gimme a break. is this anything like men's pocky? and "as we know" ... really? we know that...
no we don't. there aren't any cigarettes that are "ok" to smoke, for men OR women. and the nicotine is not what screws up you voice. everything else in the cigarette screws up your body and voice, nicotine just keeps you coming back for more...
shathe is offline   Reply With Quote