Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2008.10.03, 05:12 AM   #1001
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Whisper, i thought the towel trick intentionally makes it red-ring so that you can send it back to MS in exchange for a newer model (less likely to red-ring)?
Old 2008.10.03, 05:22 AM   #1002
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Whisper, i thought the towel trick intentionally makes it red-ring so that you can send it back to MS in exchange for a newer model (less likely to red-ring)?
The towel trick both fixes and breaks the console. If you have a working console, the towel will cause it to overheat and red ring. If you're console has already red ringed, overheating it again causes it to turn itself back on, albeit for a short period of time. I did it myself to play Rock Band for another week or two before sending it to Microsoft for repair.
Old 2008.10.03, 08:50 AM   #1003
Captain_Harlock

Captain_Harlock is headed in the right direction

I called the store ( I just woke up ) and they will exchange everything. I'll then go register my new xbox on xbox.com. Thank you all for your help.

I'm a bit scared now.. I have athree months warranty with xbox right? but what happens if I get the red ring after four? I just bought a -new- xbox and it died on me. It scares me to no end
Old 2008.10.03, 08:52 AM   #1004
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Captain_Harlock View Post
I called the store ( I just woke up ) and they will exchange everything. I'll then go register my new xbox on xbox.com. Thank you all for your help.

I'm a bit scared now.. I have athree months warranty with xbox right? but what happens if I get the red ring after four? I just bought a -new- xbox and it died on me. It scares me to no end
You have a 3-Year warranty on your XBox. And seriously I didn't hear anybody complain about a new model broken XBox for quite some time. Mine is running without any problems for almost a year now, and I've been carrying it around back and fourth since.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.03, 08:57 AM   #1005
Captain_Harlock

Captain_Harlock is headed in the right direction

Yeah, I haven't heard of these problems for awhile either too. I thought those days were over.
Old 2008.10.03, 08:58 AM   #1006
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Yeah, it's rare for a new Xbox to die. They don't have the 33% failure rate the launch consoles had, you were just really unlucky. The second generation, the Zephyr, with a 65nm CPU had around a 14% failure rate. The third generation, the Falcon, is even more reliable (and is the likely console you'll find in stores today) and the new Jasper chip has a 65nm CPU and GPU and is said to have an industry standard 4.5% (if memory serves me correctly) failure rate, same as Wii and PS3. I'd imagine if you just bought it new right now, you could very well have a Jasper console. As for your console failing after the 3 year warranty, well I'd like to think if it's survived that long you have a none-faulty console. If you're that worried, just towel it after 2 years and 11 months and get a new replacement before your warranty ends

Edit: Did a bit of research, the Jasper chips are in 360's with a manufacture date of August 6 2008 or later, and the lot number 8031. If you're going to get a replacement in the store, see if they have one. I'd imagine all new stock will contain the Jasper boards.
Old 2008.10.03, 10:47 AM   #1007
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Oh, Jasper's already out? Didn't even knew that, since even my Falcon runs smoothly

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.03, 10:48 AM   #1008
Inaudible-Whisper

Well, it was scheduled to be out in August. I'm assuming they stuck by that schedule.
Old 2008.10.03, 10:55 AM   #1009
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Silent Hill Origins (on the PSP) is actually good
Not much story-wise, but the rest is awesome.

PS - I'm playing it right now for the first time. Almost at the end.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.03, 10:59 AM   #1010
Inaudible-Whisper

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
Silent Hill Origins (on the PSP) is actually good
Not much story-wise, but the rest is awesome.

PS - I'm playing it right now for the first time. Almost at the end.
The same can't be said for the new next-gen Silent Hill unfortunately, which has been getting pretty mediocre initial reviews.