Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.11.20, 05:07 PM   #11
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

1. When it isn't Shiina Ringo
2. When it isn't Jun Togawa

:-p
Old 2011.11.20, 06:13 PM   #12
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

^ touche.

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
editing to the point where breath intake and pedal release (on piano) are removed. I love hearing the mallets strike the strings and the foot pedal being pressed/released. it gives you a real sense of the life in the piano. same goes for cello, I love hearing being able to hear the bow slap against the strings.
^ I agree. It makes for such an intimate experience, and really breathes life into a song. Otherwise it can sound just so listless.

My list...
1. When artists don't know how to end songs, i.e. they stretch it out for no reason (maybe for radio play). Part of the reason I admire the Beatles so much, and as much as I love Abba, they're notorious for this.

2. When guest artists are shoehorned into an otherwise decent song. They don't add anything. :| Apparently it's so tempting for Top 40 producers to call up Kanye every time a single is lacking.
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.20, 06:17 PM   #13
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by thespidereggs View Post
2. When guest artists are shoehorned into an otherwise decent song. They don't add anything. :|
*cough* Coldplay and Rihanna *cough*
Old 2011.11.20, 06:36 PM   #14
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

I actually love it when they bring Kanye into otherwise unlistenable pop drivel. But then again, Kanye West is one of my guilty pleasures.

Oh, one thing thing that really used to (not so much any more) get my panties in a wad was when straightforward rock/indie/punk/whatever bands would have more guitar tracks on a recording than they had guitarists. It always seemed disingenuous to me. That said, I've gotten over it.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.21, 11:21 AM   #15
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

I don't really listen to the radio much outside of specific internet shows, so I'm not up to speed on irritating shit du jour. Once I would have said autotune, but I'm inured to that now.

Polysyllabic lyrics can be annoying. There's a reason why most pop songs have lyrics like "I love you... ooh... baby, don't go". Simple words fit melodies. There's a specific type of usually adult-contemporary or indie band that like to prove a pointless sense of superiority over the beknighted X Factor-watching masses by singing say the word "verisimilitude", as if they're the only people who know what that means, and turning a song into something clunky and annoying in one move.

Of course as ever there are a ton of exceptions: actually properly talented lyricists can use long words musically; humorous or political songwriters; the Joanna Newsoms or whoever who create lyrical worlds of their own; beat poets, rappers etc who are actively picking words because they fit the rhythmic flow... But, everyone else should keep it simple!

Originally Posted by karateexplosion View Post
Oh, one thing thing that really used to (not so much any more) get my panties in a wad was when straightforward rock/indie/punk/whatever bands would have more guitar tracks on a recording than they had guitarists. It always seemed disingenuous to me. That said, I've gotten over it.
Nah.... I've never bought into this kind of "real music" / "it doesn't count if they can't play it live" nonsense if that's what you're saying... If you've got a studio, use it!

so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.21, 12:02 PM   #16
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
Nah.... I've never bought into this kind of "real music" / "it doesn't count if they can't play it live" nonsense if that's what you're saying... If you've got a studio, use it!
Kind of, let me clarify. I think my problem stemmed from how they, say a four-piece rock act with one guitarist, handle the live performances of said songs with three or four guitar tracks, where instead of making do with what they have, they pump the extra tracks though the PA or bring on another guitarist or two. I really only had an issue with it when it was a band that presented any sort of "authentic" or "real" image, if you understand what I'm saying. I mean, could you imagine, for instance, The Ramones or The Clash or Nirvana having a bunch of studio musicians with them onstage to help them perform? It would be somewhat contrary to what they try to project. Whereas, on the other hand, if an act known for being heavily-produced like, I dunno, Coldplay pulled the same thing, I wouldn't have a problem with it (though I would still have a problem with them being Coldplay).

Like I said, I've since gotten over it, but I hope that helps explain where I was coming from a little bit.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.21, 12:49 PM   #17
sylfi

sylfi is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
I know, right? Why did the have to shoehorn Coldplay into that song?
sylfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.23, 11:25 AM   #18
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Here's some more
6) When the lead single is the first track on the album
On that same note, I hate when an album's closing track is a single/B-side/"double A-side".
Old 2011.12.09, 07:52 AM   #19
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Guys, we have an entire MUSIC OFF-TOPIC FORUM where this thread should have gone! Pleaaase don't just put everything in EMF Lounge. Think about where it belongs...

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
*cough* Adam Levine and Gym Class Heroes *cough*

I vastly prefer Adam Levine/Maroon 5 to Gym Class Heroes and "rapping," but in this case BOTH parts of the song are terrible and also sound terrible jammed up next to each other. There is no flow. Ugh. Horrible song.

Also, like Turtlefu said, songs that just repeat the same word in the chorus. I can't stand it. Eisley did that a lot on many songs from their second album and I could. not. take it.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.09, 10:55 AM   #20
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Sorry, I figured the Music forum was for specific artists/genres themes, not just general discussion..
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote