Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2013.09.14, 07:33 PM   #41
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

When I look for similar artists I look for them with certain aspects but still enough of their own thing.

Currently there are 3 NEW SOLO Japanese artists worth following IMO

-Seiko Oomori
-Yasuha Kominami
-Maron Hamada

-All three of these kinda sorta represent certain elements that Ringo has covered in a fair extent or a small extent, or you can tell are just honestly artists that have been influenced by Ringo in their approach right up to their personal image.

-All three, while influenced by Ringo, still have their own identity and voice to bring to the table and can get my pulse going with their approach. They are all exciting and well worth the time of day (Seiko Oomori I would recommend to any serious music aficianado).

-All are in early stages and have huge potential to either go further or crash and burn. I cannot pick one that I'd say has a longer lasting chance (but Seiko Oomori's whole indie approach will probably get her a much bigger kvlt fanbase than the other 2).

Wakusei Abnormal are currently the most interesting new pop band in Japan to me. If their second mini album fixes on some of the mistakes they made on the first and goes more towards their sound rather than trying to be Jihen 2.0 like the majority of the first mini, I think this has great potential too.

That's my 2 cents on the current state of the music scene in Japan. Don't be a fool and give some of these a proper chance.
Old 2013.09.15, 04:50 AM   #42
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Thanks, DG. I'll check them out. We have to a presentation in my Japanese class and I wanted to do mine on some indie musicians.

The thing about people being called "Ringo 2.0" is that I feel like many people only think of Ringo as a rock artist. About Kominami, I think she's good but she has an overall mainstream rock sound, calling her Ringo 2.0 misses the point that Ringo was also a jazz, kayoukyoku, folk, etc. influenced artist as well, she didn't just make rock music. I think a true Ringo 2.0 would need to take the same kind of diverse influences, instead of just being a rock musician.

EDIT: Checking out Chimera right now, it's pretty good so far. Are there any songs included one her indie EPs that are really good and didn't make the album cut?

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2013.09.15 at 05:11 AM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.09.15, 07:18 AM   #43
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Ringo has always been a rock musician foremost. Just because her music has elements of jazz and folk, doesn't mean she's jazz or folk musician, as rock is rooted in blues, jazz, folk, country - rock isn't pure as a genre. She isn't a jazz musician just because you hear some saxophone playing, in the same way Black Sabbath isn't folk just because they wrote Planet Caravan, in the same way Beatles isn't Indian music just because George Harrison wrote Love You To.

Kayoukyoku is just another umbrella term, Ringo cannot help being influenced by it because she's Japanese.

In conclusion, calling Ringo jazz or folk musician is merely fanboy's way of praising her versatility.

Last edited by Inseu : 2013.09.15 at 07:23 AM.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.09.24, 01:58 PM   #44
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

spent the past 10 days listening to her 3 minis and one album out
but mostly can't get enough of my three favorites tracks Utsotsuki to Salvador, Nounai Fraction and 01 視聴覚教室 小南泰葉 off the 12/12/12
i been constantly injecting these into my veins and they are flowing in blood and playing in my head all day making me love gush, *sigh*
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.15, 02:41 PM   #45
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
When I look for similar artists I look for them with certain aspects but still enough of their own thing.

Currently there are 3 NEW SOLO Japanese artists worth following IMO

-Seiko Oomori
-Yasuha Kominami
-Maron Hamada

-All three of these kinda sorta represent certain elements that Ringo has covered in a fair extent or a small extent, or you can tell are just honestly artists that have been influenced by Ringo in their approach right up to their personal image.

-All three, while influenced by Ringo, still have their own identity and voice to bring to the table and can get my pulse going with their approach. They are all exciting and well worth the time of day (Seiko Oomori I would recommend to any serious music aficianado).

-All are in early stages and have huge potential to either go further or crash and burn. I cannot pick one that I'd say has a longer lasting chance (but Seiko Oomori's whole indie approach will probably get her a much bigger kvlt fanbase than the other 2).

Wakusei Abnormal are currently the most interesting new pop band in Japan to me. If their second mini album fixes on some of the mistakes they made on the first and goes more towards their sound rather than trying to be Jihen 2.0 like the majority of the first mini, I think this has great potential too.

That's my 2 cents on the current state of the music scene in Japan. Don't be a fool and give some of these a proper chance.
Gotta try Hamada out...you know I'm already with you on the other goddesses
LoBFCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.16, 07:29 AM   #46
hoopra

gonna start checking out Seiko Oomori, is Kitty Blues any good? thas the only album i can find right now
Old 2013.11.16, 03:43 PM   #47
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

All releases are good. Start with the one that looks like Shouso Strip. That has Kittys Blues as first track...
Old 2013.11.18, 04:36 PM   #48
hoopra

the seiko strip album first few tracks didnt grab me so i went to listen to the Lai Lai one, more interesting and fun to me, really like this one, all 8 tracks legit,
Old 2013.11.19, 04:39 AM   #49
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

You should really double back to Mahou ga Tsukae nai nara Shini tai
Old 2013.11.20, 05:56 PM   #50
hoopra

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
You should really double back to Mahou ga Tsukae nai nara Shini tai

i went through it all last night,
will go through it one more time tonight,

one thing tho all this acoustic and no drums and electric kills me sometimes
but she makes up for it, i have lots of great things to say tho about this album tho
the lai lai album is more accessible for me to bump in the whip on my long drives to work

track 6 - falsetto voice? love the pitch changes in the singing