Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2012.12.31, 07:50 AM   #61
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
10 albums in which the singer sounds like a complete wanker
Kind of the norm, in my opinion. I can't say how many times I start listen to something and have to turn it off immediately once the vocals kick in.

Here's my updated EOY list, but I'm not feeling like trying to pretend I know how to write about music, so without further comment:

Sa Dingding – The Coming Ones
Matthew Shipp – Elastic Aspects
Zaki Ibrahim – Every Opposite
Zazen Boys - Stories
Phenomenal Handclap Band – Form & Control
Cooly G – Playin’ Me
NHK’Koyxeи - Dance Classics Vol. I
Elio Villafranca/Arturo Stable – Dos y Mas

All the additions are the result of checking out things nominated for ILM's EOY poll: http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelec...d=94664#unread

For the record, I think most of those nominations are crap, incidentally, but it would take an almost pathologically omnivorous taste in music to like them all. (Edit: actually that's too harsh. I don't think I'd say most of the nominations are crap, but let's just so I don't endorse them overall. Sometimes there are nominations that seem pretty good for what they are, but they are doing things I don't have any real appetite for.)

Incidentally, NHK’Koyxeи is the a stage name for the Japanese musician Kouhei Matsunaga.

Edit: I'm really only positive about my ranking of the first three there. All the others could move around a lot, especially since I've only just recently heard three of them. I keep the Villafranca/Stable collaboration low because there's a certain amount of snoozy Latin jazz to the whole thing, but after I've just listened to it, I tend to rank it more highly. I mostly stays in very quiet territory but the interplay is quiet rich, in general.

Last edited by Superficial Fan : 2013.01.01 at 09:11 AM.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.31, 03:48 PM   #62
Nebularus

Nebularus is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Awesome album. I didn't ever listen to Meshuggah 10 years ago when I was into this stuff. The Demon’s Name Is Surveillance!!
Agreed. Demiurge is killer. Top album for me is Enslaved's RIITIIR, however.

Top songs would be TJ's 怪ホラーダスト, Blur's "The Puritan", Zazen Boys "Potato Salad", and Sherbets "Moon Light River"

Last edited by Nebularus : 2012.12.31 at 04:01 PM.
Nebularus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.31, 04:57 PM   #63
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Superficial Fan View Post
NHK’Koyxeи - Dance Classics Vol. I
Dug both Matsunaga's NHK albums this year!
Old 2012.12.31, 07:50 PM   #64
Superficial Fan

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Dug both Matsunaga's NHK albums this year!
So far I definitely like Vol.1 more. I do find his rhythms a bit clunky at times, but despite the title, it's not primarily about danceability. Mostly it's how it all sounds. Sometimes the melodies are stronger than the rhythm, to me anyway. I hear hints of esoteric avant-garde sort of things in some of it, like the first track (on Vol.1) hints of Conlon Nancarrow to me (someone I like in limited doses).

Man, I haven't heard anything good from 2013 so far. . .

Last edited by Superficial Fan : 2013.01.01 at 09:07 AM.
Old 2013.01.03, 11:20 AM   #65
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
^even Salyu fans find that album boooooring, right Carlx? :-p
Right. Takeshi Kobayashi delivered his most futile, languid and sterile (pick your favorite adjective) compositions and packed them into a full album.
While I wouldn't mind listening to the last four tracks, it's as if the composer forgot about the possibilities of her voice, right after Cornelius actually intended to explore it in every aspect.

Inseu, ironically, what you consider one of the best album covers of 2012 is exactly one of the covers that will never make sense to me: the cigarette, why? It's totally incompatible with her music and persona, let alone this album in particular.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.11, 10:50 AM   #66
Superficial Fan

The cover of that Deerhoof album from last year reminds me of Albuquerque's Twinkle Light Parade. Talk about a city as a small town sort of thing.

Old 2013.01.13, 06:22 PM   #67
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

A list I found quite interesting. The video is Vimeo, so I can only provide links. Hint.

This is not a “best of” for 2012. It’s just a compilation of songs released last year that inspired me to hit the “repeat” button on my car stereo more than a few times. There are tunes here that are from albums that I loved and a few from albums I never heard. In putting this playlist together, I resisted the rock snob in me and went for what gave me simple pleasure as I cruised the streets of Austin in my jet-black Fiat with the volume knob turned up to 11. There are songs in this mix that will probably lose me the respect of some of my musician friends and critics. Ask me if I care.

She Brings The Sunlight- an awe-inspiring slab of psychedelia from Richard Hawley’s latest and best album, the unexpectedly lysergic Standing At The Sky’s Edge.
Be Above It - trippiness from Australia’s Tame Impala, a band I thought had aspirations they couldn’t meet. I was wrong. Their sophomore album, Lonerism, is undeniably brilliant - a headphone record best listened to with eyes closed and mind wide open.
Stay Away From Downtown - from out of the past, Redd Kross emerge from the L.A. ‘burbs with one of the best pop anthems of this or any year. Layer upon layer of sonic goodness. Hey guys, please don’t wait another 15 years to release an album. Rock ‘n’ roll needs your energy.
Go Right Ahead - punchy garage rocker from The Hives sounds like a classic to me…or at least a very good ELO track.
Hold On - Alabama Shakes deliver something so close to the r&b bone that when I first heard it I thought it was a decades-old soul rarity.
I’m Shakin - hard to believe that Little Willie John’s much-covered classic could be given new life, but Jack White gives “Shakin” some fresh sizzle (with a squeal that would do Ned Beatty proud).
Down To The Bottom - Baby Woodrose makes music that sounds like a darker version of Love’s “Forever Changes” or “Surrealistic Pillow” as performed by demonic Hobbits.
Stay Useless - Cloud Nothings prove that there is life after punk: more punk!
Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings - Father John Misty’s crusty hippisms are shroomtastic and spookily hooky.
Just Me - Diamond Rings aka Boy Division.
Call Me Maybe - or crazy. I don’t care. Bubble-gum has always been high on my list of guilty pleasures and Carly Rae Jepsen delivers a really good sugar rush.
How To Be A Heartbreaker - Marina And The Diamonds. See Carly Rae Jepsen.
Survival - Bloated, bombastic and pretentious arena rock that shamelessly revels in its excesses. Muse, I don’t give a shit what anybody says, I think you’re cool.
Ode To Sad Disco - Mark Lanegan writes songs that make me weep with envy. His new record Blues Funeral is my favorite of 2012 and one of the most emotionally resonant albums I’ve heard in ages, heartfelt and gloriously gloomy.
Fitzpleasure - At first, I thought getting into Alt-J would be harder than shoving my 185 lb. body into a pair of Ben Sherman jeans. Turns out these British basement-dwellers create hugely like-able pop tunes that sound like some strange indigenous music from another planet. This is world music. The question is: which world?
Mature Themes - If Frank Zappa and Capt. Beefheart popped onto the scene today, critics would dismiss them as hipster bullshit - kind of like they’re doing with Ariel Pink. Fuck em all and let The Godz sort em out!
Cellophane - Like it’s title, Ladyhawke’s Beatleesque confection is all sparkly and shiny. Plastic fantastic, lover.
The Healing Day - Bill Fay can miraculously play his piano and lay his hands on you at the same time. The doctor is in the house.
Twisted Road - Neil Young’s acid flashbacks are more interesting than most peoples’ entire fucking lives. The history of rock ‘n’ roll in one battered suitcase.
Desert Raven - Jonathan Wilson plays the kind of Southern California hippie music I used to hate. What happened? Is the acid finally kicking in?
This Year - The revolution will not be televised, but nobody told Boots Riley of The Coup. Oakland’s radical funksters re-define the meaning of “political party.”

The video contains a bunch of clips from experimental films, both new and old, as well as some soft-core stag loops and found video footage. I hope you dig it. Not suitable for work.

http://vimeo.com/54203867

Part two:

MC Ride of Death Grips.

Are they the best? Hell, I don’t know. It’s all a matter of taste. When it comes to pop music, I dig atmosphere, a good hook and some bigger-than-life attitude. All of these songs filled the bill for me. From Mark Lanegan’s moody synth landscapes and beat poetics to Parquet Courts old skool, Jim Carrolesque NYC street odes and the fluffy, but epic, nuwavy pop of Neon Trees all the way thru the roaring, clanging viaducts and sonic napalm of Death Grips and Royal Thunder’s heavy metal hippiedom, 2012 was another year that reminded me that there are still bands that aim for the beating and bloody heart of rock ‘n’ roll and hit their mark.

With additional props to Cloud Nothings for separating the Velveeta from the Velvet - of all the bands riffing off of Reed, Cale, Morrison, Nico and Tucker axis, these cats went inside the music and made it their own. And Kendrick Lamar for finding new strategies to take rap into the corners of conciousness usually occupied by David Lynch, William Burroughs and Sleepy John Estes. Plus, a THC infused lollipop for Foxygen for projecting imaginary Scopitones on the frontal lobes of my brain.

Dead Sara, The Walkmen and Grimes were all about pleasure - a meat and greet in the lounge at the bottom of my spine where Kundalini cocktails are forever in frappé mode and the bartenders wear turbans made of cotton candy laced with LSD-25..

Ode To Sad Disco - Mark Lanegan
Stoned And Starving - Parquet Courts
Wasted Days - Cloud Nothings
I’ve Seen Footage - Death Grips
Swimming Pools - Kendrick Lamar
Oblivion - Grimes
Heartbreaker - The Walkmen
Everybody Talks - Neon Trees
Whispering World - Royal Thunder
Weathermen - Dead Sara
Make It Known - Foxygen
Shuggie - Foxygen

Mark Lanegan’s “Ode To Sad Disco” appears in both part one and two of my “grooviest” list. It was intentional. My way of saying it was my favorite song 2012 and I wanted to make sure you heard it.

http://vimeo.com/56567338
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.13, 06:34 PM   #68
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I do not understand why everyone is going crazy for Grimes. She sounds like really standard New Age to me, all whispery vocals (this time baby-voiced), spare, airy beats, and a vague "spiritual" feeling.
Enya called.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.13, 06:53 PM   #69
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

She makes interesting music 50% of the time and looks like a twelve year old. There is your appeal.
Old 2013.01.13, 07:00 PM   #70
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Interesting? I hear nothing new here. Watching videos on YouTube right now. She "hates ambient music and like Justin Bieber" according to the this video of her in a CD store right now. She's leaving the store in a fucking mess too, bitch. Eww she likes Blink 182 too. Nah fuck this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahnUH7wnW30

Ha what happens when you type and watch something at the same time.