Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2008.06.11, 08:33 PM   #11
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Choobies is chinese? Or is he just "speaking as" one there? =p
lol, what now? Speaking as a chinese person means I'm a chinese person...wouldn't try to put myself in the shoes of a race that I didn't belong to for the sake of argument...

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.11, 08:35 PM   #12
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by EmilScherbe View Post
well, sorry to jigenbaukda, if you felt being attacked by me.
its not my intention.
I wanted to tell generalized thought using this opportunity.
I didn't feel you were attacking him at all, but I'm still a bit confused when people get offended by the word asian, when there is no real hate under the name. Do we "asians" hate each other so much that we can't even allow ourselves to be grouped under a name that mainly signifies geographical location?

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.11, 09:10 PM   #13
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post
I don't think he meant anything but calling Japanese "asians." It's technically correct and really shouldn't carry and derogatory connotations. Speaking as a Chinese person I don't feel insulted when people call me asian and groups me with Koreans and Japanese.
Like how I'm sure people feel when they are grouped under the name "caucasian."
You can even split up Asia into three geographical parts. East Asia is China, the Koreas and Japan. Southeast Asia is Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, Myanmar, Indonesia, Malasia, The Philippines and Singapore. South Asia is Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

I've always found the term "caucasian" to be a little weird. Caucasia is Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan and part of Russia. Most white people in North America came from Western Europe. I never use the term myself. I'm an American, or perhaps a white American. Or maybe a Western European American, or more precisely an American whose mother's side is English and father's side is Dutch, but they immigrated there from somewhere else, perhaps Italy, and since both sides of my family have been here over two hundred years part of me is doubtlessly from somewhere else.

Americans many times define themselves by where they are from because few of us are from here, but in my case things get ridiculous. I'll stick with white American, it is the best cultural definition.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.11, 09:20 PM   #14
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
You can even split up Asia into three geographical parts. East Asia is China, the Koreas and Japan. Southeast Asia is Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, Myanmar, Indonesia, Malasia, The Philippines and Singapore. South Asia is Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
There are also Central Asia, formar USSR countries and
West Asia, usually called as Middle-East.

Another problem about a word Asia is it contains too large areas.
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.11, 09:29 PM   #15
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

ugghhh why is this the only thread with any posting all day today???
Old 2008.06.12, 03:14 AM   #16
baboo

baboo is headed in the right direction

Uhm, I have no issue about racial identity.

But I have issue with TeslaGuy's ability to erase my country from the regional map. .

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
Southeast Asia is Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, Myanmar, Indonesia, Malasia, The Philippines and Singapore.
As patriotic as I should be, I think my country should not be left out.

Hint: where the hell is "V_______" in that list.

Don't forget about Brunei and East Timor (new one if you are not updated)

JK, no big deal. Just to correct.
Old 2008.06.12, 10:05 AM   #17
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

^
That certainly was a silly mistake! I was flipping back and forth between a wikipedia page and here, typing two or three countries at a time, and I just goofed. Vietnamese food is one of my favorite cuisines. I like it authentic Vietnamese style, spicy enough to eat the paint off of a car. Yum.

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
She looks like one of a millions ravers dancing in one of a millions dance clubs to one of a million generic Techno tracks in Europe. And this is coming from somebody who loves Electronic music. This, to me, is the bottom of the barrel stuff found in low class dance clubs full of white trash.
I totally agree. I remember thirty years ago when there was almost no popular electronic music, but the tiny amount that did exist was very good. These days any joker with a few hundred dollars can spew out volumes of mindless junk. Kraftwerk's Trans Europe Express and Giorgio Moroder's I Feel Love blow most of the current stuff away.
Old 2008.06.12, 03:27 PM   #18
jigenbakuda

jigenbakuda is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by EmilScherbe View Post
Thank you very much.

So it's not racial concept.

Japan has more than one hundred years of history acting as a western country (including uglyness that I should admit).
I hope you understand that treating Japan as asia may cause displeasure feels.
Though calling ourself as asian is politically correct (without feeling of reality, IMHO it's deceptive).
Actuality I think there has been mixed feeling and then development of south korea, taiwan, hong kong, singapore
and now mainland china is changing perception.
Oh I did not know, I am very sorry! I really had no idea! So what is a good way to refer to people of a japanese origin? Just japanese? Is it okay to call okinawajin the same thing as mainland japanese? lol, I know this is completely off topic, but my girlfriend said I was really rude when I went to japan, and I was acting very normally, even a bit polite in my opinion, but it was still considered rude! So I can easily understand how my words may have offended you. Truly, I am sorry.

But to be honest, I'm not sure who is offended... Are the other asian countries offended, or are japanese offended by being called asians?

I did not feel I was attacked... I just thought you were curious... Maybe if I was smarter I could of been offended, lol.

She looks like one of a millions ravers dancing in one of a millions dance clubs to one of a million generic Techno tracks in Europe. And this is coming from somebody who loves Electronic music. This, to me, is the bottom of the barrel stuff found in low class dance clubs full of white trash. I don't think you'll have the same experience being an American, so it might seem a bit different or unique to you, I dunno how big this kinda thing is over their, but I see tarty girls dancing to crap like this every weekend in my local city centre. It's embarrasing.

I still would though
Oh really? I didn't know. Maybe thats why there is such tremendous hate for this dance... Well is the girl's dancing skills trash? Or is the music trash? In my personal opinion the music was not good... I have heard much better music. But the reason I started the tread was to talk about the dance, not the music. I am saddened to learn its generic, its the same feeling I had when I learned most japanese idol pop units sound alike... When I first saw the dance "techtonik" I was like this is so fresh, so awesome, I really liked the way the guys moved, but I guess its not unique... its actually the same ole same ole.

I am from the hip-hop culture. In which the primary dance that people engage in at a hip-hop club is "grinding". The woman places her butt in the man's crotch and goes to work. Now there were dances (mostly regional), but not many. I am not really used to seeing people dance to music, unless its a social dance. The main dance to emerge from the hip-hop scene is what I would call break dancing (this mainly having to do with hip-hop being such a young "thang"), but recently snap dancing and a lot of atlanta dances are really becoming popular, the west coast also has its crumping and hyphy movements.... . I live in florida, most do not breakdance in florida, its mainly an "up north" dance, imo. People in the club sway and maybe jump around (mostly to start fights...<sigh>). Now coming from this environment seeing techtonik is quite amazing to me, I really like it. I never really saw "techno" dance before. So the amazement from tecktonik really must be lack of exposure, as you describe it as so "lackluster".

Kraftwerk's Trans Europe Express FOR THE FUCKING WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately I only heard this song about 2 weeks ago. But damn that song is fire!

If one lays a trap, isn't it the victims fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.12, 04:47 PM   #19
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

I got to see Kraftwerk live on their Computer World tour in 1981. Afrika Bambaataa's Planet Rock was such an obvious copy of Trans Europe Express that Capitol Records took them to court and won.
I'll post a video on my YouTube thread tonight.
Old 2008.06.13, 08:40 AM   #20
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

I regret after 1+ days of my post to have bad courage to tell frankly.
I didn't intend and don't want to offend to our friendly neigbours in this forum.
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote