Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: What is your fav album by SR/TJ?
Muzai Moratorium 15 9.26%
Shouso Strip 24 14.81%
Kalk Samen Kuri no Hana 75 46.30%
Utaite Myouri ~Sono Ichi~ 2 1.23%
Heisei Fuuzoku 11 6.79%
Kyouiku 8 4.94%
Adult 16 9.88%
Variety 8 4.94%
Sanmon Gossip 2 1.23%
Sports 0 0%
Dai-hakken 0 0%
Reimport 0 0%
Sunny 0 0%
Reimport vol.2 1 0.62%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011.07.05, 11:36 AM   #111
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
unless you are implying that each seperate disc counts as a seperate single in spite of the fact they were not sold separately. I'm not a lawyer, but contracts don't work that way
I don't know about EMI, but for Oricon, if something has more than 4 original songs, they put it in the album chart. However, for each company, their definition of a single may be different. For avex, with the pop group EXILE, they released a "double maxi single" which had some brand new songs and some new versions of old songs (for a total of 8), which was counted as an album by Oricon but is somehow considered a single by avex.

So I do think it being a 3CD single box set makes it count as 3 singles.

I recently purchased a single box set for a Japanese box set, and came with 7 singles each in its own case. Therefore, each is considered a "single" instead of the whole package as an "album".

The second disc may change things, but the fact is "live albums" require the absolute minimal amount of effort on part of an artist.

Besides THAT, I still don't like the songs on the actual singles.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.05, 12:08 PM   #112
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I don't know about EMI, but for Oricon, if something has more than 4 original songs, they put it in the album chart. However, for each company, their definition of a single may be different. For avex, with the pop group EXILE, they released a "double maxi single" which had some brand new songs and some new versions of old songs (for a total of 8), which was counted as an album by Oricon but is somehow considered a single by avex.

So I do think it being a 3CD single box set makes it count as 3 singles.

I recently purchased a single box set for a Japanese box set, and came with 7 singles each in its own case. Therefore, each is considered a "single" instead of the whole package as an "album".

The second disc may change things, but the fact is "live albums" require the absolute minimal amount of effort on part of an artist.

Besides THAT, I still don't like the songs on the actual singles.
One band released a single with so many songs it charted as an album. QED ZCS counts as three separate singles? WHAT. If you can bring up sales or charts numbers on the Glykogen disc specifically, in comparison to the other 2 ZCS discs, I will give you ten dollars.

As for "live albums require minimal effort" -- they still have to perform the songs! And they don't get the luxury of "tracking it" unless they record another show as well. If an artist puts out a great live album, then it's a bigger testament to their musicianship than a studio-wonder like KZK much of the time. Yeah, Haitsuiku Status isn't the easiest listen, but at least one of those songs is bound to strike your fancy. If nothjing else, it shows Shiina experimenting with a live act, which is far more than you can say for anything post-2005. Besides Status, Yattsuke Shigoto, Gamble, and the Onaji Yoru performance all live and all fantastic performances and recordings. With the second disc: gold.

Writing it off for being mostly live recordings -- all brand new or recent material with one exception --because that's somehow easier than going in the studio is ridiculous. I think you may have just read about ZCS and wrote it off before even listening to it. There are certainly no 9 better songs on Variety (please don't list, I don't care if you really think Kronekodow or Mirrorball or Ramp are better than the worst Haitsuiku Status song on that disc.)
Old 2011.07.05, 12:10 PM   #113
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Maybe if you ignore the fact that 8 out of the 9 tracks were new compositions for their respective tours.
Old 2011.07.05, 01:41 PM   #114
TurtleFu

@Jihad
My point being, just because Oricon counts it as something, if the actual company (EMI) advertises it a set of singles and not an album, then it is probably considered singles instead of an album by the company. And ZCS was promoted as a set of singles, not an album. Therefore, ZCS is 3 singles, not 1 album.

@Maou
Shiina is always writing and performing songs. The minimal effort is her not recording them in the studio. Because she is going to perform and record them live anyways, therefore minimal effort.
The Hatsuiku Status songs are the EXACT same as the ones on the DVD! They probably just ripped the audio from the video master.

I don't like ZCS, why is that so wrong?
Yattsuke Shigoto (KZK) is better. Gamble (HF) is better. Onaji Yoru (MM) is better.
I don't like Mellow, I don't like Fukou Jiman, I like so cold, but not enough to listen to it regularly.
Hatsuiku Status is just the horrible. Therefore, 1 out of 9 songs I actually like.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2011.07.05 at 01:48 PM.
Old 2011.07.05, 03:04 PM   #115
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

You realize when people talked about "Yattsuke Shigoto" they were referring to the ZCS one because for years that was the version. Even longer for "Gamble." ZCS brought these songs to life, yes they were remade for other projects, but to discredit the record because two of its best songs were remade is incredibly myopic. Pointing out that "Onaji Your was better on MM shows how much you missed the point.

Why would Shiina need to record these songs in the studio when she had these great, energetic recordings. Its like saying Dynamite Out would sound better recorded in a studio! Being tracked in a studio would likely add nothing (and just as likely be worse) to Yattsuke Shigoto or Gamble in their SS-era forms.

If its not an album (which it also isnt) and three separate singles, then why list them together like and along with albums herp-derp.
(You really ought to let the "herp derp singles" part of your argument go. Its a three disc collection. If you want to split hairs and call it an apple or an orange, maybe keep it internal. Kronekodo had it listed under "singles" I believe, but as one collection, not three separate omgwtf things.)

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2011.07.05 at 03:11 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.05, 03:30 PM   #116
TurtleFu

I'm not discrediting them because they were remade. I'm saying that their remakes were significantly better than their live versions. Whichever one came first doesn't even matter.

It's not an album, it's not three DISTINCT separate singles, but, for all intents and purposes, to EMI/Kronekodow, it counts as three singles. It was Shiina exploiting a loophole so she didn't have to do more work (That is, release three more separate, distinct singles).

Shiina has always found ways to sneak around EMI. See: Remixing her own debut single because she hated the EMI-supported mix. Releasing two singles on the same day because she liked one but EMI liked a different one. Recording most of an album (KZK) without her label's support or knowledge so she could have more creative freedom.

But ignoring all the album/singles/three singles talk, the business, the live/studio etc.
I STILL DON'T LIKE MOST OF THE SONGS.
Old 2011.07.05, 04:21 PM   #117
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

ZCS sounds like a demo tape. My rankings aren't based on musical genius, but what I actually listen/get into the most. I have all the pre-debut demo tapes as well (rips obviously) and, while they're all phenomenally written, I still very, very rarely put them on. I agree with Turtle, the better tracks on ZCS all have better (in my opinion) studio recordings that I'd rather listen to.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.05, 04:22 PM   #118
day

day pleased at least somebody

I'll give it a go

KSK = SS > MM = Adult >> SG > Kyouiku > ZCS > HF > Sports > UM >>> Variety

Variety's the only one I could do without; it had good singles and b-sides but other than that I don't understand it's existence tbh. It's awfully close at the top for me. I'm surprised how high ZCS is on my list... actually I'm not.
Old 2011.07.05, 04:23 PM   #119
Tokyo Jihad

It's not an album, it's not three DISTINCT separate singles, but, for all intents and purposes, to EMI/Kronekodow, it counts as three singles.
Jesus tap-dancing christ
Old 2011.07.05, 07:08 PM   #120
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

People weren't including the bsides (WH) album in their listings? I'd count it as an album- 2 discs of some of her best best work (*cough* Aozora *cough*) or do bsides collections not count? (Seems weird seeing as a covers album DOES count). It also almost makes ZCS kinda redundant, with the last 2 discs being present on WH