Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Community Center > Site Announcements/Feedback/Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2009.03.03, 04:06 AM   #71
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
Hahaha, I can't even understand what Mr Eff is even talking about. When did we ever discuss what goes on in Ringo's panties and how that relates to her music???
The only person I can think of is ringomaster. He often made sexual jokes, I remember one or two getting a particular response but I can't remember if it was about ringo's panties. Either way, it's not like the community had a laugh with him; literally everybody attacked him for it and he was dealt with accordingly.
Old 2009.03.11, 04:53 AM   #72
filthfate

filthfate pleased at least somebody

EMF is a fansite i've come across with serious arguments (complete with rationale & detailed explanations, needless to say e criticisms) like none others...i take it on the positive side....make the reads interesting buy yea it probably
intimidates the newbies (at times)...

Last edited by filthfate : 2009.03.11 at 05:04 AM.
filthfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.12, 03:53 AM   #73
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by that thread View Post
this album sounds like Red Hot Chili Peppers playing anime theme songs
That's exactly what I remember Sports sounding like. From the date I think he or she is talking about Variety, but whatever.

I do wonder if this forum is coming up more on searches for recent TJ material and since I'm not even into Phase 1 as much as the solo albums I'm feeling quite out of place. Hirama > Uki, but I can't be bothered to post why.

I've kind of semi- moved on now, or maybe there's only so many thousand times I can listen to the same thing. But I always used to want to have read more of what fans of MM/SS/KZK thought about those albums. Or the demos, B-sides, Tomosaka Rie...

I can't remember how I found this place, maybe a link from Nostalgic Lavender. Is there anything that could be done to make those fans feel at home? Especially at first I felt this was a ... "Tokyo Jihen" forum and only partly a Shiina Ringo one, perhaps because of the images at the top, and perhaps because the new material is what 99% of the posts are about.

That's kind of what I've always thought about EMF, really.

Or perhaps most people who discover SR are preexisting J-pop or J-rock fans (whatever floats your boat, I don't mind), and aren't as alienated from the musical direction of TJ as I am?

Last edited by so_cold : 2010.09.12 at 04:17 AM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.12, 09:23 AM   #74
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
Or perhaps most people who discover SR are preexisting J-pop or J-rock fans (whatever floats your boat, I don't mind), and aren't as alienated from the musical direction of TJ as I am?
As time goes on, it's going to get harder and harder to discover "Shiina Ringo" just on her own, though I have a feeling there will always be interest in her solo work in Japan and she will continue to pursue it in sometimes interesting (Sakuran) and not-so-interesting (Sanmon Gossip) ways.

But the trajectory of what can be called Shiina Ringo's career is getting tangled up in Tokyo Jihen to the point where I'm not even sure where one ends and the other begins. I just posted a thought that maybe Dynamite Out! and just about all of "Phase 1" Tokyo Jihen should be considered part of Shiina's solo career, and that Phase 1 TJ really begins in 2005 with Domestic Virgin Line and Just Can't Help It.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.12, 10:36 AM   #75
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
As time goes on, it's going to get harder and harder to discover "Shiina Ringo" just on her own, though I have a feeling there will always be interest in her solo work in Japan and she will continue to pursue it in sometimes interesting (Sakuran) and not-so-interesting (Sanmon Gossip) ways.

But the trajectory of what can be called Shiina Ringo's career is getting tangled up in Tokyo Jihen to the point where I'm not even sure where one ends and the other begins. I just posted a thought that maybe Dynamite Out! and just about all of "Phase 1" Tokyo Jihen should be considered part of Shiina's solo career, and that Phase 1 TJ really begins in 2005 with Domestic Virgin Line and Just Can't Help It.
This is going to sound random, and you've been a fan for a lot longer than me and may understand, but there's kind of an aura to the first three album eras that doesn't for the most part extend beyond EM, but maybe to things to Kurumaya-san. Sort of a persona as manifested through music (like say, the strings in Yami ni Furu Ame, how the chorus to Kuki sounds, or the decision to thread something clockwork through Poltergeist), and it's really moving...

FWIW having seen a couple of other posts, I don't think being more playful, dancing or wearing cat ears is necessarily antithetical, because doesn't... say, Mayonaka's melody sound "playful"? (Not seen DVL other than I quite like the Keshou Naoshi on YT but really hate that Gunjou, sorry, that guitar's rhythm/tone just excites my gag reflex, Hirama is the funkier of the two). I actually think the visual aspect of JCHI sheds a good light on Adult, it sweetens the album like it sweetens plain tea, because take away the artfulness and costumes from a song like Yukiguni and it's a lot less amazing, it's like an Andrew Lloyd Webber tune basically. That's not to say there aren't some nice tunes on Kyoiku or Adult, and IMO the Phase 1-ers are right to say that era sounded like more of a beginning than an end.

If I was proselytising it's because my listening brain can't understand why songs like Kabukichou no Joou are more famous outside of Japan, or her solo-era diversity and videos don't reach more people, other than particularly English-speaking people don't try music in a foriegn language in the same way they try films in a foriegn language, unless they're carefully selected for a "world music" market. They fit the bill of a classic melody and judging by the demos, SR used to write songs that strong as a natural talent. Someone else writing the music doesn't explain why Variety or Sports suddenly sound like what they do or why SR in 2006/7 suddenly decided that that was the kind of music she wanted to put out. I'm never going to "get" that, and I need to stop trying to.

Sanmon Gossip rewarded a little pre-release excitement though.

Last edited by so_cold : 2010.09.12 at 04:44 PM. Reason: I hate posting about Tokyo Jihen...
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.12, 02:15 PM   #76
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

It appears to me that outside EMF, Sanmon Gossip gets a lot more flack than post-Adult TJ does (Oh, and not necessarily on the basis that it's not as good as the first three solo albums)
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote