Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Community Center > Site Announcements/Feedback/Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2009.08.10, 07:37 PM   #1
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer
Default zomg!!1 this community is DYING!1!!!one

The economy already has enough nimrods declaring that we're doomed, every time the stock markets dip down the same weeks of the year they have rebounded from in every previous year. If enough people say that and enough people hear it, this can become a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy one day. Which brings me to the point I want to illustrate.

I'll admit EMF isn't in the greatest shape it's ever been in, but we've had 'dead' periods before, and we've had 'pathetic' periods before too (where we're not quite dead but some people might think it would be better if we were). But the truth is, the international fanbase hasn't reached any 'new' lows. We are not in a situation "which will only get worse". This is all part of a cycle we older members have lived through several times before. You can either accept the average that comes from the highs and the lows, or you can dismiss this community with your expert opinion all about how the sky is falling.

If Variety didn't do any longterm damage to this community, then I can't imagine armageddon coming from a small handful of PVs.
Old 2009.08.11, 02:41 AM   #2
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Well, if the community stays like this, the highs will be extremely high, right?

The J-Pop forum thing...technically, I am of the opinion that what makes this forum special, especially for a *Japanese* artists, people don't hold back on the criticism. I like this. But even if there are a lot of those kinds of people on this forum, trying to force it down their throats that they have 'bad taste' doesn't really achieve anything. It doesn't transform them into (pseudo) sophisticated, cultured critics. Plus, a lot of the arguments I read here aren't even interesting anymore.

They become waaay too heated to the point where they become cringeworthy. I found some of the Ukigumo and Hirama arguments interesting because people offered posted legitimte, well thought-out criticisms as to why they thought Uki sucked. But now, if those same members still think that they're the Anti-Shiina crusaders, fighting the legions of kawaii j-pop fans, they're utterly deluded.

The reason I'm even still here is because we've gotten glimpses through her recent work that it isn't a pointless endeavour waiting for an awesome new album. Seriously, why are people declaring that her music is hopeless because of TWO ALBUMs? Have you not listened to the discographies of most of the highly-acclaimed artists out there? What were people expecting -- Shiina to be the new Beatles?

I try to give credit where I THINK it's due for the newer products. Somehow this makes me a weeaboo.

I'm going to frequent this community less not because I hate it or think it's dying, but because I'm finding that I'm constantly writing essay-length opinions and over-analysing where it really isn't necessary, and all over one musician. It kind of disturbs me, so I'd just rather stfu until she releases something new.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2009.08.11 at 02:48 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.11, 03:57 AM   #3
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

I think it is a bit myopic to judge this forum's health by the recent posts on one thread, and certainly don't see them as a bellwether indicative of an inexorable decline. Judging from the content of other current threads, the community seems reasonably healthy.

Some members have expressed opinions that others deeply disagreed with, but one of the qualities that I have felt has epitomized EMF is tolerance. I do think that there have been some unnecessarily harsh rebukes of people's legitimate perspectives recently, which do nothing to enrich the discourse and only foster enmity, but if we look at some of the recent activity as a model of EMF not on it's best behavior, perhaps we can learn from it.

Concerning the absence of some former core members, this seems inevitable. Communities are dynamic, not static. People's interests and priorities change. As a "n00b", I see an active, interesting core membership right now. Perhaps it is not as exceptional as some fabled group that used to converse here years ago, but one certainly full of bright, engaging minds. Lamenting the loss of the old core repeatedly will not result in their return, and only evokes blank stares of incomprehension from the newer members who never knew these people. It also has the probably unintended consequence of implying that we are somehow inferior. I am of the opinion that we make valuable contributions, and introduce new, unique, worthwhile viewpoints.

I do wish that conflicts between members would quickly migrate to PMs. I know that is probably unrealistic. No one else really cares much about the details of these disagreements, but we all have to involuntarily witness their escalation. I personally just dispassionately perceive them as a bit of unfortunate noise, but imagine that some people could find them upsetting.

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2009.08.11 at 04:09 AM.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.11, 05:19 AM   #4
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

thE coMMUNi+y 1$ DO0M3D!

Well hardly, besides for a few arguments the place seemed lively enough. I am not the biggest fan of the current stuff but I'm not gonna abandon the place solely on that basis. It can't always be a 24 hour apple party.

Crisis? What Crisis?
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.11, 06:31 AM   #5
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

If people are unhappy they need to make an effort and change things. Acting like an entitled cockbib and making snippy remarks that add nothing to the conversation will not improve the situation. You want more thoughtful comments? Make them. You want new, interesting discussions? Post them. If not then STFU.
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.11, 07:43 AM   #6
Cosmo!

Cosmo! is an asset to this community

there are a lot of big, over-the-top online personalities here. I love how nobody feels like they have to hold back back their opinions.

but sweet Jesus, when that devolves into what happened in, say, the Sanmon Gossip thread ("You need a lesson in semantics!" "Well, you can go eat a dick!"), it's enough to send me running for the hills.
Old 2009.08.11, 07:52 AM   #7
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Heh. This forum has been the ONLY place on the internet where an argument has made me uncomfortable.

I wonder what Shiina would think if she knew what went on her. I'd imagine that she wouldn't care -- most famous people tend to tune out internet criticism, because they realise how worthless it is.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.11, 01:40 PM   #8
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

hey guys! WTF is up?!

I like how everyone is fine with me until I start saying mean things to someone then all of a sudden I'm Bin Laden.

But guess what, you wouldn't like it either if you had to put up with the harassment I do. I'm not trying to play the "poor little me" card, I understand that when you put yourself out there as much as I do you're going to be subject to negative attention. I understand that and dealt with it more-or-less as gracefully as I could for as long as I could. I dare to see how long many of you would stick around if you weren't a bystander to but the subject of poster(s) personal ridicule.

Sorry if my posts recently haven't been chalk full of humor I try to infuse in dramatic situatuions -- but can you blame me? If you follow these threads in discussion you can see I'm not going out looking to start trouble. A poster just found out a good way to get his jollies by patronizing me.

I try to be entertaining, and no one in this thread can say I've been a jerk to them. I'll mock myself if it can be funny, I try to be an example of the thoughtful criticism often promoted by the mods on the forum. So if you're going to be all uncomfortable because I tell someone to "eat a dick" for calling me a homophobic, white trash, cripple for the tenth time then get fucking real. I'd like to see you do more graceful.

And guess the fuck what, this isn't the first time I've put up with this scenario.
Old 2009.08.11, 02:20 PM   #9
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

You and Neko need to start using your ignore lists and actually ignore each other. You guys fight way too often for me to keep track of who starts what. I know you feel he targets you but you give as good as you get.

Be the bigger man and just ignore him.

I'm feeling like I deal with more drama now that Shinji is gone. That doesn't make sense! It blows my mind.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.11, 02:40 PM   #10
Cinders

Cinders is headed in the right direction

lol i come back to EMF after like 6 months and see this thread, i hope it's not dying, i just came back cuz omg Superficial Gossip is amazing
Cinders is offline   Reply With Quote