Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Community Center > Site Announcements/Feedback/Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2008.10.08, 01:51 PM   #1
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer
Default What about a new banner?

Ok, I'm a bit tired of the current banner, tbh.
So I made something to replace it and I want you to tell me what you think about the idea. I know they are not great, but it's a bit difficult to do something quick without using TJ or SR pics (I wanted to avoid displeasing nu-Ringo fans, Ukigumo fans, and all those usual things, etc etc) and keeping the current forum theme colors.

Well, here are the 2 options I made. I'll try to make some others later.
Also, if anyone wishes to contribute with more banners, I would be very glad (even tho I don't know if Glath wants the banner to be changed in the first place ahah).

ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.08, 02:44 PM   #2
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Unfortunately for the unstimulated eyeballs roaming this community, I am not much of a template tweaker. I am much more of an exploit discoverer. I didn't so much choose one specialty over the other - I just have an extraordinary affinity with how people maneuver through the official and unofficial permissions of a system, whether it's a strategy/roleplaying game, a messageboard, a market, a political hierarchy, or an OS.

I'll admit I like the look of your suggestion, but there's two problems with it:

Your banner is fixed-width. Where is the stretch supposed to be coming from, for different users with monitors set to different resolutions? (I'm running 1600x1200 myself)

One other problem is that when we upgrade vBulletin, we might have to abandon this template and start over from scratch, or with a different custom template premade specifically for a later version of vBulletin. It's technically possible to make our existing 3.6.5 template conform to 3.8.0, but there's an intimidating amount of steps you must take along the way. I don't think even our former template-developing co-admin (in an alternate universe where he's still an admin) would be up to the task, so that means nobody else would deal with it either.

It's not a good idea to change vBulletin versions just yet. The software developers have constantly been releasing security patches for their updates (so like you install 3.6.8, then it turns out to have a big hole and you then download a patch specifically for the hole in 3.6.8, then they have another patch for 3.6.8, but you're still using what is technically "3.6.8", and the numbers only go up when more features are added). The last thing we want is someone performing an SQL injection on Electric Mole.

We should wait for a vBulletin version that goes on for at least one season without ever getting patched before the next numbered version comes out. Then we upgrade to what has just become the second-newest version after we think it's safe. At that time we'll pretty much have to change templates, which also involves changing banners.
Old 2008.10.08, 03:01 PM   #3
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
Your banner is fixed-width. Where is the stretch supposed to be coming from, for different users with monitors set to different resolutions? (I'm running 1600x1200 myself)
In the second suggestion, it's actually a 500x166 image in the middle of the current two 400x166 and 300x166 pictures in the sides.
In the first suggestion it's a bit bigger, but that could be solved as well, cutting it into 3 pics or something like that.

But well, if vBulletin is going to be updated sometime in the future, then I agree that it's better to change banners by then.
Anyway, it's not that I think we should fill EMF with all kinds of graphical gimmicks, I like things simple and clean, it's just that changing the banner once in a while keeps things looking fresh~
Old 2008.10.08, 03:07 PM   #4
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
Anyway, it's not that I think we should fill EMF with all kinds of graphical gimmicks, I like things simple and clean, it's just that changing the banner once in a while keeps things looking fresh~
No arguments from me there.
Old 2008.10.09, 01:45 AM   #5
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

A random banner that changes between 2 images on the left side isn't necessarily the same thing~
Old 2008.10.10, 04:02 AM   #6
sardonicsmile

sardonicsmile pleased at least somebody

i like the one with the electric mole dvd artwork. the current one with the members looks higgle piggledy and hence i prefer leaving tj alone.

featuring sr alone on banners might work better though.

and maybe changing that font for the word 'forums' in your sample banners - looks kinda odd next to the cursive font.
sardonicsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.10, 04:58 AM   #7
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

I actually like the font for "forums", wth ;_;
It's supposed to look like it was "added" to the "Electric Mole" official logo/font.
Anyway, I was going to try more options, but not anymore since it's not worth it right now. But thanks for the opinions!
Old 2008.10.10, 06:02 AM   #8
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Yeah, I like those banners but I agree with sardonic, the font for 'Forums' doesn't look right.
Old 2008.10.10, 06:07 AM   #9
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

replace the band with EMFers
Old 2008.10.10, 07:53 AM   #10
Captain_Harlock

Captain_Harlock is headed in the right direction

I love what you did, and Jihad's idea is awesome.