Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Community Center > Site Announcements/Feedback/Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2008.10.28, 07:14 PM   #11
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

but GAF's "main" is still pretty wide where ours is very very narrow
Old 2008.10.28, 07:25 PM   #12
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

This is a tough one I think ? I can wholly understand the desire to expand and draw some new blood, and more importantly keep it here as well!! I just don't want the place to lose it's identity by trying to mimic other forums who already do what's being proposed!! if we are to expand then I want the new additions to be justified by some sense of demand rather than just trying to cater to the as yet unsigned-up masses.. if this is a drive to recruit new members then I hope we don't lose our identity trying to cater too much to other off focus interests as our primary draw.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.28, 07:27 PM   #13
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Basically, I don't think we need to "attract new members" based on topics.
Old 2008.10.28, 08:01 PM   #14
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

The mind-boggling dilemma is that if we start up a bunch of organized nonSR topics (for CDs/DVDs of related artists like Hirama), we actually become easier for SR searchers to find, and those are new members we should care about. If we hide all of those (hypothetical) new topics, then we actually lose out on that site-ranking boost.

Here's a diabolically evil scheme:

We have these new Product boards, but to start off with, they are mostly for show.

When a potential new member shows up (possibly lured to the site by Related Artists they were searching for), they MUST introduce themselves in a New Member Introductions board. Until they do that, they can't post in any other subforums. And they can only start their own topic, or reply to their own topic.

Once the new member has gone through that first phase of initiation, a hidden board gets unlocked to them, called Getting Started & Catching Up with Shiina Ringo, and it contains streaming low-quality samples of basically everything, all organized in chronological debut order, with detailed history about what major career moves or life changes happened between each of those releases, and when/how Shiina Ringo came to be connected with each Related Artist. It's a post-locked board for read-only purposes.

Then that new member eventually has to start posting in the SR subforums (like Main and our current Products board), and until they go through that maybe 50 times (and this requirement would be publicly known), they cannot post in Product board(s) for other artists (not even if that artist lured the new user to here), and they cannot post in any of the Off-Topics yet either.

By the time someone is able to post in our side-boards, they are already well-acquainted with Shiina Ringo, and have no doubt found something they liked, even if there is a lot that they don't like. And supposing they never make it very far through the initiation rites, then our side-boards still remain 'pure', they've at most barely 'polluted' the SR subforums (if they knew how much dedication it was going to take to reach the other boards and decided it wasn't worth it), and our site-rank is still higher than it would have been from hiding the side-boards, and we're easier for pre-existing SR fans to find than if we never had those other boards at all.

This whole setup is what we'll call...
Immigration Reform

Good idea, or bad idea?
Old 2008.10.28, 08:04 PM   #15
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I vote for that!! it's a fine proposal.. room for expansion with the proper quality control.

I'm thinking about it...

Last edited by Ringo~Bingo : 2008.10.28 at 08:31 PM.
Old 2008.10.28, 08:18 PM   #16
Tokyo Jihad

Bad idea.

Why on earth would we want to essentially barre anyone that didn't want to put up with Shiina or whatever for 50 posts? Lock em out of the OT? Absolutely not. Making people post in a specific forum/thread at first is no good either. Thats essentially making a trash dump.
I see the why for that though...maybe we stop them from making threads until x posts, or access the image forum or i dunno what.

The OT CANNOT be excluded for new members. At all. Totally against that angle to my core. I don't see what anyone gains by "weeding out" for Shiina fans. I don't see why anyone specifically has to be a Shiina fan -- hell according to some these forums in general aren't Shiina fans anyway. As long as no one trolls, why can't we all get along?
As if suddenly hoards of people who have no clue who Shiina is are suddenly gonna flock in here anyway.
Old 2008.10.28, 08:38 PM   #17
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

This is difficult.. if we lock everything it may seem like we are a bunch of elitists and most people won't bother with us.. I agree with the notion that the new member should at least introduce themselves and post a few times, though 50 may be a touch too high especially if all the threads were locked up ? I'd forget the locked idea but maybe limit their ability to start their own threads until they hit the 50 post mark!! if they try and spam to that limit the Mods can kill it before it happens anyway.. maybe lock a few threads as you suggest but I agree the off topic should stay open.
Old 2008.10.28, 08:39 PM   #18
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
As if suddenly hoards of people who have no clue who Shiina is are suddenly gonna flock in here anyway.
I like to assume the worst.

Pretend there is no Shiina Ringo community. Pretend you are searching for one, and you find a MO'SOME TONEBENDER-centric community that has Shiina Ringo subforums off on the side. Although they had a collaboration, you've never actually heard MO'SOME TONEBENDER yet, because there never was a place to meet other Shiina Ringo fans who might hook you up through IM, PM, or whatever.

So you want to start posting about Shiina Ringo because there's no other remotely specialized place on the web to go, and you see posts from at least a dozen MO'SOME TONEBENDER fans who are obviously familiar with Shiina Ringo, and possibly even more posts from people who may be acting like it's an SR community (depending upon whether or not the immigrant SR fans are producing the majority of posts in that subforum). If you are able to start chipping straight in, how long is it going to take your adult brain to put up filters toward the things you see everyday and consider irrelevant? How long is it going to take you to forget that it's actually a MO'SOME TONEBENDER community? As we get older, we see hardly anything beyond what we want to see.

So you along with many other Shiina Ringo fans, are eventually participating in Off-Topic discussion within the MO'SOME TONEBENDER community. You think it's going to be the same atmosphere as an off-topic board of only MO'SOME TONEBENDER fans, or only Shiina Ringo fans?

What we the EMF veterans want, is to preserve our atmosphere. We want to compromise it as very little as we have to.
Old 2008.10.28, 08:46 PM   #19
Tokyo Jihad

That's essentially bribery isn't it? "Talk about what we want you to talk about if you want to talk about what you want to talk about."

Unless a mass of our community "pillars" stop posting, I don't think we're going to suddenly "lose our forums." Our community already has it's own grammar and we've gone through a few "noob waves" and EMF still stands. We adapt, we evolve, but we've already developed a personality that's not going to change unless everyone leaves at once, and all new people come in at once.

When we compromise is when we think we need to do anything to attract members. We're safe if what we're thinking of doing things to strengthen the existing community.
Old 2008.10.28, 08:49 PM   #20
ophy

ophy pleased at least somebody

I agree with the OP.

Stagnation can be avoided by adding a few Ringo-less boards. Music, movies, games, etc. Even the Silent Hill Forum (the UK one, can't stand the other one) has these small, segmented boards which allow people to just breeze on about what they like, and it generally does not hurt the outside atmosphere of SILENT HILL-NESS at all. SH news becomes old VERY FAST, and we all end up having nothing to talk about, until someone starts a topic about Antonio Banderas, which somehow makes us all talk about Vampires, then TrueBlood, then the guy who plays Bill Compton, who would make an excellent Henry from SH4...see? It all comes full circle.