Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.09.27, 05:37 PM   #151
Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya pleased at least somebody

I can't wait for the next live DVD.
Tsuchiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.27, 05:41 PM   #152
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Speaking of lives, I don't know how the slower tracks like Boutomin, SSAW, and Metro will be live. Boutomin sounds like it will be a fun track to perform but I don't know if it is good having all these laid back songs for a the concert not to mention Karada. I wonder if they will do a rendition of Sounan in variety style @_@.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.27, 05:44 PM   #153
makenshiww

makenshiww pleased at least somebody

^ .. i was wondering about that tooo... I cant wait too see a couple of these songs live..
makenshiww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.27, 06:06 PM   #154
Tsuchiya

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
Speaking of lives, I don't know how the slower tracks like Boutomin, SSAW, and Metro will be live. Boutomin sounds like it will be a fun track to perform but I don't know if it is good having all these laid back songs for a the concert not to mention Karada. I wonder if they will do a rendition of Sounan in variety style @_@.
I think "SSAW" and "Metro" (I like "Boutomin" too) are some of the stronger and more interesting tracks on the album and don't foresee any problems translating them live. "SSAW" has group vocals and quite active keyboard and guitar playing. I mean, how tasty is that guitar from 2:20 to 2:40? As for "Metro," I can't get over how wonderful that ringing keyboard sound at 2:23 is. Reminds me of something Phil Collins would have produced in the early '80s (just prior to turning to shite).
Old 2007.09.27, 06:09 PM   #155
HEDOfloe

I'm not saying that they are weaker songs, I just don't know how interesting of a live they will make. I guess with all the other songs it should not even be a problem.
Old 2007.09.27, 06:16 PM   #156
Tsuchiya

By the way, as far as Adult vs. Variety, I think Adult is a more perfect album--the little segues, the flawless and consistent sound. There is nothing on it that I ever feel like skipping.

I think Variety would be stronger if "Fukushuu" and "Mirrorball" were left off. Though I can live with "Mirrorball" (and actually enjoy it) and prefer it to the JCHI version (I can't stand the bass line on that one), I think it sort of slows things down too much. Whatever you think of "Fukushuu," can we agree that it doesn't belong on this album? It creates this giant gulf between side A and B. Would anybody shoot me for replacing it with some more bearable like, say, "Pinnochio"? The album could use a touch of Uki guitar twang, and Shiina's vox are rather affecting in the chorus of that song.
Old 2007.09.27, 06:19 PM   #157
HEDOfloe

Originally Posted by Tsuchiya View Post
By the way, as far as Adult vs. Variety, I think Adult is a more perfect album--the little segues, the flawless and consistent sound. There is nothing on it that I ever feel like skipping.

I think Variety would be stronger if "Fukushuu" and "Mirrorball" were left off. Though I can live with "Mirrorball" (and actually enjoy it) and prefer it to the JCHI version (I can't stand the bass line on that one), I think it sort of slows things down too much. Whatever you think of "Fukushuu," can we agree that it doesn't belong on this album? It creates this giant gulf between side A and B. Would anybody shoot me for replacing it with some more bearable like, say, "Pinnochio"? The album could use a touch of Uki guitar twang, and Shiina's vox are rather affecting in the chorus of that song.
I thought Fukushuu was a little too much, I would still like to have had a song that was more rock than the rest in its place, but I don't really mind. I actually liked the drastic change from the previous song to that one. My little cousin who I had just introduced to TJ last week said that Fukushuu sounded like another album. He thought I threw it in there to fuck with him ^__^.
Old 2007.09.27, 06:23 PM   #158
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by madpawn View Post
There are two kinds of great artists, I think—the ones who, album to album, refine and expand and refine and expand and expand and refine. And the ones who, while still refining and expanding their sound, do so by completely reinventing themselves every album or every other album. I much prefer the latter, though Shiina Ringo's solo work is of course a brilliant example of the former.
While I'm certainly more in the expand/refine camp, I do understand the idea of "reinvention" and "rebirth", but there still has to be that signature sound, that signature feel... a certain identity that ties everything together. Just like how fashionistas wear various outfits in completely different styles but underneath all that it's still the same girl? TJ going from Kyouiku to Adult is something like plastic surgery, and from Adult to Variety is nothing short of a sex change operation PLUS full body plastic surgery.
Old 2007.09.27, 06:27 PM   #159
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Tsuchiya View Post
I think Variety would be stronger if "Fukushuu" and "Mirrorball" were left off. ... Would anybody shoot me for replacing it with some more bearable like, say, "Pinnochio"? The album could use a touch of Uki guitar twang, and Shiina's vox are rather affecting in the chorus of that song.
Kaban no Nakami and Pinnochio would fill up those two spaces very nicely. And Fukushuu and Mirrorball can be b-sides.
Old 2007.09.27, 06:28 PM   #160
RollOverHobo

RollOverHobo pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
And I wished that Adult was more like Kyouiku.

Seriously! We know you are versatile Tokyo Jihen but must you change styles ALL THE TIME? It's becoming schizophrenic! No one's gonna believe that Kyouiku, Adult and Variety came from the same band. There has to be the balance between personal style and versatility somewhere and TJ is way out of that continuum.
Haha! It's like Tokyo Jihen is going back to the drawing board at the end of every phase.....
Shiina: 'Kay, folks that was good but how can we further frustrate the fans? Question their loyalty to us? Make them hate us and then fall lustily in love with us a second later?
Uki, Hata, Izawa, Kameda: PHASE FOOOOUUUUUUR!!!!!
Shiina you evil genius....

P.S. Strwbry Flds 4eva *peace*
RollOverHobo is offline   Reply With Quote