Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News Upcoming releases, tours, TV spots, magazine appearances, et cetera. No posting threads allowed; instead, threads get moved in here from other places.

Old 2015.07.26, 09:55 PM   #871
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I don't profess to speak for the Japanese public but I really like NIPPON. It's a well-written song and I sing along every time it comes up on my playlist. I don't even like football. Same goes for ABK.

I don't think anybody is disputing whether or not she can/should legitimately use this sort of Nationalistic imagery or fly the rising sun flag or whatever. At least for me, I was merely just making that observation. Not going to cast any absolute judgments on her political affiliation though until I've heard her actually comment on some social issues.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.26, 10:00 PM   #872
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
She named her old Mercedes "Hitler" because it was German and it was a shitbox.
Thanks for this, I'd never heard this explanation before!

Also, I know the flag and symbol itself means different things to different people, and also as an American, I don't feel it's really my place to tell people what to do with a flag from their own country, but it just seems tone deaf particularly in the context of the current Japanese political climate

Regarding the single, I don't believe the digital version comes with a code... I don't follow enough Japanese musicians through their physical releases, so I can't say how common it is, but I get the impression that extras like these (other ones I see are posters, postcards, tickets to release events, and things of that sort) are how the record industry cushions physical sales, while I get the impression that countries, like the US for example, are becoming more and more digitally oriented...

Edit: just happened across a bit of an interview where she's saying that she didn't write Nippon with the intention of having it be a nationalistic song

(I think the fact that it was a tie-up with NHK, who are or have been? In the prime minister's pocket added to the initial controversy, and some people are mistaken thinking that the flags came after Nippon, when they've been in use since 2008)

I don't have time to get to the direct article link right now, but here's a twitter cap of the interview (it's in Japanese) https://twitter.com/hyakki_akiyama/s...28950894047232

Last edited by tsukigimehime : 2015.07.26 at 10:12 PM.
tsukigimehime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.26, 10:20 PM   #873
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Kinda kinda dig that Saisakizaka.

You bring back Meisai after eight years to do that with it? =/
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.27, 06:44 AM   #874
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by The Most Curious Thing View Post

I thought it was well done and she sounded great. At first I wasn't sure if I liked the jazzi-fied take on it, but it worked out in the end.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.27, 07:23 AM   #875
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

I feel like it's kind of unfair to judge though since the sound's so compressed. That horn solo probably would've been killer live.
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.27, 08:13 AM   #876
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Mind you, I don't hate the arrangement (or the horns), but the tempo is out of control and she clearly can't keep up -- she sounds exhausted by the second verse. She was younger and/or better prepared back in BX.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.27, 09:02 AM   #877
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

What song is this? I must have missed it when it was discussed.

Did anyone else notice the accordion player's face when he spots Ringo watching the band at the end of Meisai? He seems like he's having a lot of fun up to that point, but then it looks like he rolls his eyes and gets serious again.

Last edited by fluffiethesock : 2015.07.27 at 09:11 AM.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.27, 09:23 AM   #878
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
my only friend interested just laughs at anything Ringo related because according to her (she is Japanese)- it's for teenage girls anyway :-p).
Well, I would hate to hear what she thinks Oomori is for if Ringo is for teenage girls. Better watch yourself, DG
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.27, 10:55 AM   #879
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

Mind you, I don't hate the arrangement (or the horns), but the tempo is out of control and she clearly can't keep up -- she sounds exhausted by the second verse. She was younger and/or better prepared back in BX.
Ah okay, I actually noticed that the first time I watched as well. Meanwhile, Mittei Monogatari, a similarly bombastic song sung in English, is on point (as usual). Go figure
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.27, 04:28 PM   #880
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
Well, I would hate to hear what she thinks Oomori is for if Ringo is for teenage girls. Better watch yourself, DG
I will ask her. All I know is she likes her album covers but I don't know if she's actually listened to her music. I do know what my wife thinks of her though. "Catchy dammit" is the words she used. As for Ringo, wife only likes HF/SG. But she's reluctant with anything Japanese except for Nakashima. She only likes one track by Togawa.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.07.27 at 04:32 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote