Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2011.12.01, 06:36 PM   #11
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

it says it will be a selection of lives that show the worth in jihen's live performance from all shows up to now, so this could literally be ANYTHING.

I would KILL for a soundboard rip of Domestic Virgin Line Souretsu or Gunjo Biyori.

As for the concert dvd, I don't really care much. I don't own Spa and Treatment, Ultra C, or even the new clip collection. At this point I only really care about the music.
Old 2011.12.02, 08:18 AM   #12
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I hope they go back all the way to the Sugoroku days and finally release that version of Izonshou. I'm not expecting much if anything from the Phase 1 days though. Maybe the version of Stem that was performed at the Dynamite tour final. Phase 1 stuff just doesn't mesh all that well with the Phase 2 performances. They have a completely different vibe to them.

Last edited by Maou : 2011.12.02 at 11:32 AM.
Old 2011.12.02, 09:52 AM   #13
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I hope they go back all the way to the Sugoroku days and finally release that version Izonshou.
I would give anything to have "Sugoroku Xstasy Out" instead of this CD
Old 2011.12.02, 08:00 PM   #14
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

yeah I think we will see some non-dvd concerts like festivals (society of the citizens etc)

I think this concept would be way cooler if they did a Voltaic type album and did live takes of songs from their catalogues as a best of....
Old 2011.12.03, 08:07 PM   #15
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Gah... that guilt when you put down your money on CDJapan

Still, Blu Ray and the CD ordered.
Old 2011.12.06, 12:15 PM   #16
Maou

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
yeah I think we will see some non-dvd concerts like festivals (society of the citizens etc)
One would hope, but some of the festival performances that aired on TV might have some licensing issues that they might not want to deal with. Still, I riot if La Salle de Bain is not on the live album.
Old 2011.12.06, 12:30 PM   #17
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

wasn't that phase 1? I'll riot (positively) if the original Jihen was there.
Old 2011.12.07, 11:00 AM   #18
Maou

I'm choosing to be optimistic that Phase 1 will be represented. The live album needs stuff that isn't already commercially available and not rehashed to have any value. That would mainly be the Phase 1 summer festival tour and Phase 2's Virgin Line performance. I mean, would it really be worth it if the album just had songs already available on DVD from different days of the tour?

It would be killer if the live album included Phase 1's La Salle de Bain, Tsumiki Asobi, Jihen Ondo, Stem, Izonshou and Kabukichou. Add in Phase 2's Kyogenshou, Souretsu, bossa Sounan, rock Himitsu and country Gunjou to make it actually worth picking up.
Old 2011.12.07, 11:54 AM   #19
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I think there is value to having some songs from DVDs on the CD. I mean, wouldn't we want a Dynamite OUt! that could be ripped to FLAC?
Old 2011.12.07, 01:52 PM   #20
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

All of the concert DVDs are in 48kHz/16bit stereo LPCM - just a hair better than what can go onto standard CD. You could FLAC that audio the way it already is, and play it on computers - or you could downsample it to 44.1kHz (which isn't a noticeable loss like going from FLAC to MP3), and listen to it on portable players or burn it onto a couple of CDs.

There's absolutely no quality advantage to buying Dynamite Out on CD, as opposed to ripping it from the DVD yourself. It's just like when we had the choice between MoRA CDs and DVDs back in 2008; those of us who weren't concerned about the "video", could still rip audio which was at least as good as we would've got from buying the CDs.

This is an everyday reality when we're talking about Japanese musicians, because their DVD audio always supersedes the CDs. The only advantage to the CDs, is they're pre-edited so that we don't have to listen to much (if any) non-music. With western artists, you're getting better-than-"DVD" sound on CD, because their DVDs almost always have some lossy audio such as Dolby Digital. Retail DVDs in Japan pretty much have to be documentaries or feature films before their audio might be lossy instead of beyond-CD.

When you buy a music DVD from Japan, you aren't just paying for a video - you're also (perhaps unknowingly) paying for a master-like copy of the audio, from which a respectable CD or lossless rip could be derived. The publisher may not be expecting us to produce audio rips, but the prerequisite quality has always been there, and audio from DVDs has been faster-than-realtime rippable by a handful of completely-free no-bullshit apps for the better part of a decade now.