Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.06.13, 01:10 PM   #11
Ananda

Ananda pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
I think its probably just old Japanese manners (whether she really is like that or not I do not know)
And probably the fact she's still shy.
Old 2007.06.13, 09:23 PM   #12
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Eh... I don't think SR was that polite.

She's just more toned down now that she's got a kid and all.
Old 2007.06.13, 09:38 PM   #13
Kasanagi

Kasanagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

She could be completely different on-stage and off, like the yin and yang that balances each other out. She's not exactly a living drama queen or anything now is she? I got this mind-image of her from reading her interview in Time magazine, where she was handing out business cards and the interviewer sees her as polite and shy.
Old 2007.06.13, 10:18 PM   #14
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

You tend to be polite and shy too when meeting new people, no?
Old 2007.06.14, 01:14 AM   #15
Linnéa

Linnéa is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
You tend to be polite and shy too when meeting new people, no?
Well, I do think she has a shy personality - like Kasanagi said, she acts completely different when she's on stage singing because that is her "Ringo" persona that she has talked about before. Then we have Yumiko, who turned red in front of her classmates, who hated it when guys tried to ask her out, who writes a song like Kokoro... I mean sure, not all the facts we get about her from the unofficial biography are confirmed to be true but...
And the thing about her kid: in interviews before that, even though she acts more girly and loud, she still seems very polite and thoughtful compared to sooo many other artists.
Linnéa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.14, 11:09 AM   #16
newyorkjihen

newyorkjihen pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Kasangi
reading her interview in Time magazine
What magazine?
Time what?
What what?

I am very interested in Shiina Ringo coverage in western media. I almost started a new topic, or posted in the "cultural references" or "american tv" threads.

Publish date? Is it online? Transcribed anywhere? Available at my local library?
newyorkjihen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.14, 11:37 AM   #17
Linnéa

Linnéa is headed in the right direction

here you go

TIMEasia Magazine: Rinngo's a Star

Linnéa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.14, 01:00 PM   #18
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Linnéa View Post
Well, I do think she has a shy personality - like Kasanagi said, she acts completely different when she's on stage singing because that is her "Ringo" persona that she has talked about before. Then we have Yumiko, who turned red in front of her classmates, who hated it when guys tried to ask her out, who writes a song like Kokoro... I mean sure, not all the facts we get about her from the unofficial biography are confirmed to be true but...
And the thing about her kid: in interviews before that, even though she acts more girly and loud, she still seems very polite and thoughtful compared to sooo many other artists.
Yeah!! When I first got into Ringo, I thought her stage presence was kind of weird (maybe even embarrassing?) at first since I didn't listen to many artists who performed like her. But I watched this rock n roll documentary and saw that it was normal for 'legendary' rock artists (like David Bowie or something) to have a different stage persona. Granted Ringo hasn't done anything as crazy as KISS or those visual kei artists, but not many female (especially, Japanese) rock artists show the middle finger and do the crazy eyes while they sing. o_o I love the polite Ringo, but I'm starting to warm up to, or at least understand, the Ringo onstage.
Old 2007.06.14, 06:09 PM   #19
justriiingo

The onstage SR seems less guarded and more relaxed now eh? I mean, if you compare DO and JCHI to GX... it's a huge difference. You think we're seeing more of the real SR and less of the Ringo persona?
Old 2007.06.14, 08:00 PM   #20
Kasanagi

Kasanagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I reckon the Ringo Persona was a MM - SS - Kzk era image she got going, The more relax Ringo is her TJ image me thinks... But I like that the shy Ringo got through on stage once when Kameda was making fun of her lipstick in DO