Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2009.06.08, 03:17 PM   #961
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by cyruslo View Post
Anyone knows what that thing is?
The one into which she gently inserted her middle finger?
It's the hole at the bottom of the speaker.
Old 2009.06.08, 04:07 PM   #962
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
btw, Shinji, if you classify Lynch movies by such things as "weird stuff" and "girl on a bed" I sincerely doubt you should be insulting Merman nor representing Lynch's work. Try reading his Wiki or academic criticism of his films and then maybe you will see something other than "weird stuff."
Ok, first of all, I didn't insult merman. If anything, he insulted me.
I'm not representing Lynch's work, only he should be doing that.
And if you read further, you'll see I just made a personal comment on how I felt like the PV was directed by Lynch (considering only the short preview). Other people compared it to stuff like YUKI's videos and whatnot and you didn't see me going "Hey you're wrong!".

One common label given by people unfamiliar with Lynch's films is "weird" and even he uses "weird stuff" to express inexplicable fear of his characters, so I don't see anything wrong in putting "weird stuff" in the check-list of things that make people think of David Lynch.
And a "woman on a bed" is probably the whole thing around Mulholland Drive, even more if one considers great part of the film to be the dream of a "woman on a bed".
I could even add the lamp to the check-list, seeing as lamps are a common motif in every Lynch film.

And don't even start with the "go read academic criticism of his works". I have one licence certificate on Film Studies, it's academic. I have read the whole Cahiers du Cinema book about Lynch and also the Lynch on Lynch book, not to mention having seen all his films, short-films, music videos, etc. But do I need to make a long academic post just to explain why, for me, it felt like it had Lynch elements in the preview of the PV? I think not.
Actually, we didn't even had to reach this point

Did this whole post sound offensive? Who knows! Hopefully it's only a post from someone who is trying to make his point across and people see it that way.

PS - It's funny, there's even a book called "Weirdsville U.S.A.: The Obsessive Universe of David Lynch". Find it here.
Old 2009.06.08, 04:22 PM   #963
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

for someone who is so well versed in Lynch you didn't present yourself in that way at all. your reasons for citing this as being Lynch-ish are a girl on a bed and weird stuff? come on, I'm not even buying that.

if you want to get into lynch criticism I'd argue that KZK is the most Lynch-ish work of Ringo's since one of Lynch's major themes is duality in his female characters (almost never seen in the males), where we have split personalities and dopplegangers. Ring a bell?

this video only has surface elements that can BARELY be tied to Lynch's work. For someone who has digested as much of Lynch's work and criticism as you said you've had, I'm surprised your presenting your argument in such a light, it looks a bit empty.
Old 2009.06.08, 04:31 PM   #964
JimmyKoria

JimmyKoria is an asset to this community

^ O: for Christmas I want mommy and daddy to stop fighting, thank you Santa Claus!
Old 2009.06.08, 04:38 PM   #965
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

What about the "Projections of video overlaying a person" and "slow editing"? I didn't really save the best for last on that list.
The video projections he used in Inland Empire left such a mark on me that I could not help but think of him when I saw those faces of Ringo overlaying her body. The slow editing (and camera movement) also helped me visualize something that could have been made by Lynch.

Anyway, this argument is going too long already. I do not feel any need to further a simple opinion made about the preview, even more because having watched the whole thing already, that opinion has pretty much dissipated.

About the video, I hope that they release it in a hypothetical Seiteki Healing 5 DVD and that it's 16:9 instead of 4:3. Actually, I'm almost sure the video was broadcast on a 16:9 format, but the person who ripped it from the tv didn't use the correct settings.
Also about SH5, I wonder if there's any chance of getting the "Futaribochi Jikan" video on a DVD release, because otherwise we'll have to take the YouTube rip as the only source :x
Old 2009.06.08, 04:52 PM   #966
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

well, the Ringo no Uta MnU vers was not on SH V.4 so I don't imagine it would be on V.5

I really hope they shoot some more PV's for this era and include it on a DVD.

This PV is kind of interesting, but it seems a little bit low budget.

I don't object to your claims about the projection and Lynch similarities (I'm actually happy your such a Lynch fan), I just think that for people who don't know Lynch, the examples you cited at first were a bit too broad and only further the stereotypes people consider akin to his work. I am an avid reader and watcher of "weird fiction" and "weird film," HP Lovecraft and Lynch being among some of my favorites, but I think to most people the word "weird" gets used as a kind of blanket to cover anything that they can't immediately digest easily.

It wouldn't surprise me actually if Ringo was influenced by or considered herself a Lynch fan.
Old 2009.06.08, 05:12 PM   #967
alleon86

alleon86 is headed in the right direction

i really hope shun is not the lead single off her album. Dont get me wrong, its a good track. its solid enough to be a album track.

it didnt have the same impact on me compared to kuki during her 3rd album
Old 2009.06.08, 06:01 PM   #968
whitetap

whitetap is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
I'm going to bump what I said about 7 pages back from the liner notes that no one seems to have commented on.

this album has it all, from band style, to computerized electro, to horns, to strings, it approaches a full world music and even a musical soundtrack category as it really has quite a wide approach (this is all taken from the liner notes). The overall feel of the entire album is akin to songs like Suberidai and Honnou, where there is a mixture of funk and R&B ruminating amongst it all.

also, about first press

there is a slipcase and a nude booklet presentation. like I speculated, I believe this means the first press copies will be presented in a small book while the regular press are jewel cases.

Thank you for the information!
It's getting difficult to skip all the spoiler-ish posts in this thread. I don't want to read all the comments about the new songs here, which can be really opinionated at times. I hope to enjoy them for the first time in HQ in the context of the album!
Old 2009.06.08, 06:04 PM   #969
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

The video seems to have disappeared from Youtube.
Old 2009.06.08, 06:17 PM   #970
LoverlyBijouu

LoverlyBijouu pleased at least somebody

Like most of everyone else, I liked the instruments on her body.
Those leaping cats are distracting from the mood, though.
So is the fork.

Don't like the song right away. Will have to listen to it a few more times...
Closed Thread