Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.05.17, 06:49 AM   #161
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Are we abusing the word game-changing a lot lately?

Game changer: an event, idea, or procedure that effects a significant shift in the current way of doing or thinking about something.

The only thing game-changing about Ringo is female singer-songwriter dominating the chart in the late 90's and early 00's. KZK is unique piece of pop music but not many imitate it. On the other hand, lots of pop rock bands want to sound like Tokyo Jihen. Thus Tokyo Jihen is game-changing, KZK isn't.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.17, 07:19 AM   #162
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Surely you mean somewhat stimulating since xxxx KuroNeko...

Interesting point but if you don't consider KZK stimulating then your points are moot :-p
Where are you coming from with this comment about KZK?

Let's face it: we are never getting another KZK - it will never happen. Ringo is not the same artist and further, she has proven time and time again that she is not interested in remaking the same album over and over. She got into that habit with Jihen and then up and disbanded the band (their last few albums started to blend together for me). As for this current music, again, this is NOT her music, it is a self covers album of content she wrote for other artists. Compare SS to UM to KZK - UM was no where near close to the direction she was going with her personal sound.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.17, 08:23 AM   #163
zordon

zordon is headed in the right direction

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/TYCT-69017

cdjapan had the external bonus poster crossed out last time I checked but it appears to be back again, so I guess people still have a chance to grab it.
zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.17, 08:26 AM   #164
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
Where are you coming from with this comment about KZK?
He's just asking if you botched this statement:

Coming out of lurker status to say that this is probably the first thing Ringo has done at all that has been somewhat stimulating - and for that I want to support it.
by asking if you meant since a certain point. Like you meant "This is the first thing that's stimulating since SG" or something of the like. He was just using KZK as an example since he, and clearly even you, don't think this is the very first stimulating release she's had in her history.
Old 2014.05.17, 11:24 AM   #165
teattum

teattum has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I once manifested my discontentment about the idea of releasing old songs...
But I've been listening to the PV and previews. I must admit I'm quite reconciled with the idea.
With such an attempt I can't help to think that this album find his basis somewhere between Utaite Myori and Heisei Fouzoku.
As Kuro-neko writted, I'm sure as well that we are gonna witness a sequel to this compilation. Which I woudn't hold against anything.
Let's hope this will give a wide berth to Ringo to find any inspiration to create anything else, as possible as it might be.
teattum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.17, 11:50 AM   #166
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
He's just asking if you botched this statement:

by asking if you meant since a certain point. Like you meant "This is the first thing that's stimulating since SG" or something of the like. He was just using KZK as an example since he, and clearly even you, don't think this is the very first stimulating release she's had in her history.
thank you for pointing that out - my incorrect subtext is since coming out of lurker status. I used to be very active and as my attention was pulled elsewhere (sometime post TJ Variety) I haven't kept up with what is being released or what goes on here - this actually pulled me back in a bit.

I'll go on record and say that KZK is absolutely Ringo's best work and my personal favorite album she has put her touch on.
Old 2014.05.17, 12:53 PM   #167
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

As for this current music, again, this is NOT her music, it is a self covers album of content she wrote for other artists. Compare SS to UM to KZK - UM was no where near close to the direction she was going with her personal sound.
When I read this, I sudden burst out laughing.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.17, 06:11 PM   #168
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
When I read this, I sudden burst out laughing.
glad to give you the laugh. I stand by what I said, if it was packaged and released under her moniker originally, then I would consider it her music. I suddenly remember why I don't get involved here: semantics and the internet english police. You can argue that since she penned the tracks that they belong to her etc, but I subscribe to the belief that music she writes for herself versus music she is paid to write is a bit different. This may be grasping at straws but I can relate this back to anytime someone sells their given craft or skills for money: there is a difference between a labor of love and wanting to make a dime. Ringo has been wanting to make a dime for a while and my end point is at least this time around she is getting a bit creative with it. So anyone who is going to sit here and bitch and moan about this being the death of Ringo better get used to this because any of us old-time folk can tell ya, it ain't getting any better from here.
Old 2014.05.17, 08:06 PM   #169
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

I'm going to agree with Kuro-Neko on this one. Obviously when she's writing a song to be used by someone else, she's going to have a different frame of mind when approaching the material. It's not as if she's writing the song for herself and for a specific album. I doubt she even has the same personal connection to these songs compared to anything off MM, SS, KZK or SG.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.17, 10:03 PM   #170
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
I'm going to agree with Kuro-Neko on this one. Obviously when she's writing a song to be used by someone else, she's going to have a different frame of mind when approaching the material. It's not as if she's writing the song for herself and for a specific album. I doubt she even has the same personal connection to these songs compared to anything off MM, SS, KZK or SG.
I refuse to believe there's no deep personal connection in tracks like Saizakizaka...