Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.01.05, 10:41 AM   #21
jigenbakuda

jigenbakuda is headed in the right direction

hey, I'm interested in j-soul, i'll take this file, thanks a bunch johnny.

And I'll chime in on a question asked a LONG time ago, before this thread was buried. Just riingo asked, what is r&b. In a technical sense its a simple music (dervived from blues) with the chord structure being composed of 1,4, and 5. Rock was born from r&b, little richie was one of the pioneers of rock as a genre. But in a more causal sense r&b has changed depending on the era. In my opinion, broken up into 3 areas, old school, 90's and current. In my opinion the major changes have been in subject matter. Old school r&b is allllll about baby making music, its about love and sex, but you have it put nicely. Most noticeable was the falsetto and full voiced singers of that era. In my opinion the best that ever did it. We have no current singers that could come within 100 feet of the o'jays or the isely brothers. Thats all pre 80's. But in the 80's r&b started having more dancing, ala bobby brown (lol, that guy), but the invent of rap started influencing r&b. Then r&b started getting more rp -like, then eventually progressed to where it started getting like dance music, like r&b + pop, its weird,like j-tizzy (justin timberlake) and omarion, lol and people like 112 even started dancing I think, lol. Man, its funny actually. But now r&b is like r&b + rap, or r&b + dance. Hard to explain with words, but if I let you see the music videos you would understand.

I'm not that knowledgeable in r&b, these are just my observations growing up in that culture. I am more of a rap connoisseur. Like-wise I haven't listened to much j-r&b either. But in my opinion very few j r&b singers come close to the real thing. (lol not that thats bad, lol). Actuallly utada hikru's cubic-u album is probably the closet thing I've heard to an asian emulating r&b, of course that album was done in america, but still it was pretty close.

Well to me, j-r&b is derived from the african american culture. It emulates it. Much like the wapanese emulate the j-otaku culture. So its natural that j-r&b artists have a distinvely non-japanese taste in clothes. Badtzmaru comented that the clothes are distasteful. Justriingo also said the cothing i vulgar,lol. Man, my tastes are so different, but once again, I was raised in that culture. Also most that make or listen to r&b are interested in african american culture as well. Therefore their tastes are probably a bit different from the average japanese, or non-japanese interested in japan. Hey from what I've observed, nobody likes kokojou's in japan, lol.So its undertandable to dislike their style, lol. (dsclaimer :jigen is not saying thay everyone who makes or listens to j-r&b is a kokojou!)

Also I can name a large amount of r&b singers with no booty, the most popular probably being aaliyah and mya. Whitney had no booty either. Now video hoes i rap videos have ass, but big booties are not synonomus with r&b.

Oh yea, I love the new namie, the quuen of hip-hop,huh? Man, I'm really digging her song sexy girl. I've been killing it on stepmania I will link to that song, even though its not r&b.
sexy namie

hip-pop is a closer term for the current state of r&b. Wow I've rambled on haven't I? I just meant to thank johnny, but look what I've done. Feel free to ignore this post, lol.

Hey I looked on wikipedia, they have better answers than me about r&b, I'll link you. Everything I said above was lies, lol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%26b

If one lays a trap, isn't it the victims fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.05, 11:05 AM   #22
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

It's funny this thread was revived. I'm listening Utada's "Deep River" at the moment and it's the first time since... I don't know, more than a year probably!
I think Tokyo Nights and A.S.A.P are very close to standard american R'n'B
This is such a great album btw, I've missed it <3

Thanks for the rambling jigenbakuda! It was interesting to read
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.05, 03:43 PM   #23
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Yup, but somehow to me it was always RnB with "a twist"... it certainly has that sound, yet it's totally different than, say, Misia. At least in my ears. Deep River was where she started to mature, and Exodus saw her in full bloom.
I'm looking forward to her new album, but I kind of mistrust the single's name, "Come Back To Me". It sounds like a song that really wants to break into top 40 to please the execs after the first flop, so I hope I'm wrong.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.04.20, 06:31 AM   #24
SoulExperience

SoulExperience is an asset to this community

Digging up this thread because most people seem to have kind of a foul view of RnB. It's not everything but original RnB certainly isn't focused dirty things or whatever. A lot of songs on Utada Hikaru's "First Love" is considered original RnB (shortly after is when it started to lose it's originality and substance)
Groove Theory - Tell me

Loose Ends - Hangin on a string
SoulExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.04.21, 03:03 AM   #25
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

eep. Deleted off-topic rant about people who don't like RnB when you do but they won't let you get a word in edgeways.

Such people exist.

I love "Tell Me". Amel Larrieux is great.

Last edited by so_cold : 2012.04.21 at 01:55 PM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote