Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: Do you think that she should sing in English ?
Yes 66 77.65%
No 19 22.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007.04.16, 09:23 AM   #31
Silverrime

Silverrime is headed in the right direction

Considering Genjitsu o Warau, Kenka Jouto, and most recently Sakuran; I'll toss my vote in the 'yes' pile.
Silverrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.16, 09:29 AM   #32
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by natsume View Post
Generally, I love her singing in English, but there are little things, like the above, or at the end of Dynamite on JCHI, that "You are....", that just do not flow. I imagine her English as she sings it is pretty rehearsed. Note on "Fly Me to the Moon" her accent is coming through much more than usual, and I think it is because she is reading a lyric sheet, and has not "rehearsed" the accent for the words of this song.

I do love that her English has a British accent. It is very apparent (to me) on Genjitsu and la salle de baine...

I also wonder how she works out the lyrics that she writes in English. She must have had help all along, since it is fairly flawlessly executed, and I can't imagine her written English is that good. My written English isn't that good.
Wow, ditto to every single point you said there! (Except maybe the "Fly Me to the Moon" bit since I never noticed it. >_<)
Old 2007.04.16, 10:45 AM   #33
milk

milk pleased at least somebody

Have wondered about this before. Her English is not that good, but quite interesting to listen to. I wonder what it will be like if her English were perfect and she sang just like Jewel or whoever. Would it still have that attractive quality? Or would it simply become another standard, normal english song performance?
milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.16, 11:15 AM   #34
Koufukuron

Koufukuron pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by milk View Post
Have wondered about this before. Her English is not that good, but quite interesting to listen to. I wonder what it will be like if her English were perfect and she sang just like Jewel or whoever. Would it still have that attractive quality? Or would it simply become another standard, normal english song performance?
I think it would probably still have that original flare to it, because even without her accent, Shiina still has quite a unique voice, even in her native japanese toungue. Some songs like "More" I find her english really good, so I think thats kind of what it would sound closest to without her accent.

But then again, accents are really distinct and you're right, sometimes gives it a much different ring so maybe I'd be wrong >_> haha
Old 2007.04.16, 11:39 AM   #35
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

It's not really the accent that throws me off, it's more like... rhythm? Like she stresses on the wrong parts of words... it's just weird though I've more or less gotten used to it now.

Last edited by justriiingo : 2007.04.17 at 09:31 AM. Reason: noticed I had a typo after XO quoted me.
justriiingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.16, 08:44 PM   #36
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

I wonder what she sounds like just talking english and not singing it. I remember from my psychology class that some people with speech impairments can sing almost flawlessly but cannot handle regular speech very well. So maybe Ringo sings english pretty well but probably does not speak it as well.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.16, 10:32 PM   #37
Chiugai

Chiugai pleased at least somebody

Whoa, when did she sing Fly Me to the Moon? I'd love to hear it...
Chiugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.16, 10:45 PM   #38
pariscombo

pariscombo deserves a fucking medal

I like her singing in english, french, german etc because I can't distinguish well her pronounciation from native's. And in some ways for me her pronounciation is very cute.(especially 'the lady is a tramp' in 'Meet The World Beat 2004'.) I want her keep covering many foreign songs within the scope of her ability or taste, irrespective of languages , as many as possible.
pariscombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.16, 10:48 PM   #39
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Chiugai View Post
Whoa, when did she sing Fly Me to the Moon? I'd love to hear it...
On the Ringohan performance. With that Kiyoshi guy...
Old 2007.04.17, 05:41 AM   #40
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

welcome here pariscombo /o/
XD

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote