Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2012.07.25, 01:49 PM   #21
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Yes, Frank Ocean's always worth listening to. I had a thing for the melodies of We All Try and Swim Good. Channel Orange is very recommendable because it's perfectly accessible while containing a soft, understated sounding sense of scale and ambition that really appeals, I know that sounds glib. You want to go and discuss it with people. He's also a synesthete, it's where the orange cover comes from.

For me though it sounds great up to and including Super Rich Kids. I then like Pyramids, Pink Matter and whatever it is he's doing in the last track a lot as well, but I could skip the rest. I'm not sure Bad Religion or Forrest Gump would have the same impact if I didn't know he had come out. But that's practically a normal album's length worth of music I like...

Last edited by so_cold : 2012.07.25 at 02:20 PM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.25, 08:49 PM   #22
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

The Sa Dingding album is now my favorite of the year so far. Thank you deadgrandma. One thing with this album is that the flaws are so in your face that you just have to deal with them head on. (Hmmm. I can't figure out if that works better or worse than the average mixed metaphor.)

What is the very famous song that Zhuan Shan (track 7) is partly riffing on? I think it's a movie theme song. It's so familiar, but I've never learned what it's called. I don't have any convenient examples of it in its straight form either. Also, the bass reminds me a bit of "White Lines" of all things (which I know really came from a Liquid Liquid song, but I'm afraid Grandmaster Flash won that battle in my mind).

I'm starting to jot some notes down about The Coming Ones.

I'm going to try to give Frank Ocean a listen. I didn't like whatever else I listened to by him.

Last edited by Superficial Fan : 2012.07.29 at 06:31 PM.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.27, 09:30 PM   #23
Superficial Fan

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...-her-hand.html

Oops, somehow thought this was from this year.

Last edited by Superficial Fan : 2012.07.27 at 09:37 PM.
Old 2012.08.06, 06:29 AM   #24
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

@deadgrandma: Sweet Jesus, many a thanks for the Sa Dingding recommendation. Been listening to all her stuff lately. So far, I think Harmony is my favorite, being that it's a little more sonically diverse than The Coming Ones, but time will tell.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.08.22, 09:46 AM   #25
Superficial Fan

Did any of you do one of these? http://pitchfork.com/peopleslist/

Would be interested in links, if so. (I did not submit a list. I don't normally read Pitchfork and found out about this late.)
Old 2012.08.22, 10:21 AM   #26
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

That's interesting for the statistics alone: age is mostly even, but OH BOY is it a sausage fest!

Can I just say something though?

Like, we are all fans of Ringo, a non-Anglophone artist. But it always annoys me when ANY publication does a list like this: "Top _ Albums of All Time" and proceeds to ONLY do albums in English. As if music that is not in English is somehow less valuable/good than music in English? Either add the qualifier ("Top _ Albums in English") or stop being so fucking linguocentric. Rolling Stones released a list of 500 albums and only ONE was not in English! 1/500, that's almost disgusting. And you would think the indie crowd, which prides itself on being "worldly" and "intelligent" would have the balls to listen to music outside the English language? Because if I were to create a list that did NOT discriminate on language, KZK would be right up there in the top 20.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.08.22, 10:27 AM   #27
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I started to do this, but as history would suggest, I started to get carried away and forced myself from finishing.
I know I had picked In the Aeroplane Over the Sea as number one.

@TurtleFu: the weird thing is when the publications deem one artist/album acceptable and others not (for example: Boris.) I would say it has to do with whatever gets a domestic release (like Boris,) but then plenty of American publications reviewed the My Bloody Valentine releases which did not get released stateside. So who knows.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2012.08.22 at 10:32 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.08.22, 10:43 AM   #28
Superficial Fan

Boris tours in the U.S., too obviously. I don't know, I think British music might be the one exception when it comes to getting coverage without a U.S. release. Were MBV records really not released at all in the U.S. for a long time?

I don't know what to say about the language issue. To play devil's advocate, many people just don't enjoy listening to music in a foreign language, including a lot of critics, some of whom give lyrics a lot of importance. (Yes, translations can be available, but it's not really the same as hearing and understanding the meaning together as the song unfolds.)

ILM clusterfuck that includes some discussion of gender disparity in particular (probably not of much interest to anyone who isn't a regular poster there, aside from some stretches here and there--mostly these debates drive me a little crazy at this point):

http://tinyurl.com/9fx9omq

Last edited by Superficial Fan : 2012.08.22 at 11:35 AM. Reason: url was hurting my eyes
Old 2012.08.22, 10:53 AM   #29
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Whoops! I meant re-releases! This year's MBV remasters are what I was referring to.

EDIT: The best part is when these publications champion the internet's ability for people to be exposed to music they wouldn't otherwise be.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2012.08.22 at 11:03 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.08.22, 11:10 AM   #30
Superficial Fan

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
EDIT: The best part is when these publications champion the internet's ability for people to be exposed to music they wouldn't otherwise be.
And then don't cover it, you mean?