Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2013.12.11, 06:01 PM   #41
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I've been working/studying non-stop this entire year, I haven't listened to new music at all really, mostly just re-listening to old classics and lately been really into Shiina's catalog again. After next week I have one month off!

I did just recently discover this band that I really like, Galileo Galilei, really mellow pop kind of like Ichijuku no Hana.

I wish I had time to devote to making a list or whatever.

And I agree, this was a great write-up, DG. I'll be checking almost all these releases out for sure.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.11, 08:20 PM   #42
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

DG, you'll be happy to know that Seiko's first LP has finally clicked for me. I listened to it before and I liked it, but something was missing. It wasn't connecting with me emotionally after the first few listens. I put it on today on my way to class and something just clicked while I was listening to 最終公演 (Final Performance). So full of raw emotion. In the vocals, in the music. It's perfect.

Can't wait to hear her new album now. By the way, where can I even get it? Can't find anywhere to buy it or download it.

Last edited by FadedSun : 2013.12.12 at 09:23 AM.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.12, 04:39 PM   #43
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
By the way, where can I even get it? Can't find anywhere to buy it or download it.
Well, there's
-Japan iTunes (need a Jap account, but that's easy enough)
-Amazon Japan- ship internationally- and they've fixed their rates recently...
-HMV Japan- ship internationally, but apparently it takes 8 days to get in...
-OTOTOY should have it sometime soon, though I'm surprised it isn't there yet. Maybe they ordered the CD from HMV :-p

-Heaps of other Japanese retailers too.
(No CDJapan, they aren't cool enough. The only release they have Seiko Oomori related is the No Lie-Sense album).

I got mine on CD preorder version with extra CD-R (I don't think it's available anymore- I also didn't realise that there was a pre-order version until they actually shipped it and told me about it). It should be here tomorrow. I've been listening to an iTunes version. I refuse to listen to it again until I get CD in my hands.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.12.12 at 04:46 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.13, 06:07 PM   #44
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Special Mentions part 1.

I'm not sure how many parts there will be, but here's some other albums that I didn't mention for one reason or another:

The Dillinger Escape Plan- One Of Us Is The Killer

An initial winner, it still is a great hardcore album and still has a lot to love about it. I imagine it ending up on quite a few end of year lists. One of the easiest Dillinger albums to get into, this album delivers the hardcore goods while still being quite poppy, and the various Faith No More comparisons are definitely warranted. It does feel like Faith No More doing Hardcore at times. Worthy of a listen, but I just didn't listen to it for as long as other Dillinger albums, and that is why it isn't in my top 20

Perfume- Level 3

This album is pretty solid, I cannot deny it. It is also long. VERY FUCKING LONG. By about half way through, I feel exhausted. Time to switch to something else. Nakata's production seems to have slipped too, it doesn't exactly "WOW" me like GAME or Triangle, but it is at least better than the so-so JPN. "Enter the Sphere"- the intro track here is the most interesting thing on the entire album and I would have gladly accepted this as a 50 minute track and scrap the rest!

Chvrches- The Bones of What You Believe

OK, so I hyped this album up a lot when I heard it. Why didn't it end up in my top 20? Well, to put it bluntly, the album gets pretty old, pretty quick. I don't feel much of a desire to revisit it often. Sure, its got real pretty vocals, excellent electronic production, but it also somehow just doesn't attract me enough to go back to it.

A shallow reason maybe, but it's also on the radio constantly. Not some alternative stations either, it's mixed right between Katy Perry and ABBA. They even play The Mother We Share in supermarkets :-p Too much exposure killed it for me. (Ironic then, that I still like Of Monsters and Men :-p)

Hanae- Jyukkai Quiz

A last.fm user said it better than I could "Like Kyary Pamyu Pamyu if she was produced by Shiina Ringo" That comment is eerily close to the truth, 'nough said. Oh and the album cover digs right into some of my creepy fetishes...

Anyway, I'll think of more soon :-p
Old 2013.12.13, 06:52 PM   #45
TurtleFu

That's funny, because I have never heard Chvrches on the radio here. But the same thing happened to me and Lorde. I loved her singles and htne when it was on the radio CONSTANTLY I got really sick of it.
Old 2013.12.13, 08:16 PM   #46
deadgrandma

Oh, also to those who are wondering:

Got Zettai Shoujo CD today. The CD-R that comes with it is the Oomori Seiko Kuro Rekishi EP (the demo album that was releases as digital only previously). Not sure if these will just be straight mp3 to CDs or not, but I'll find out. Can't complain for free.
Old 2013.12.13, 08:43 PM   #47
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Anecdotal: Satellite radio plays Chvrches like its subscriptions depend on it.
Old 2013.12.15, 07:18 PM   #48
deadgrandma

Ok... update on the CD-R

It's not the same demos... its a different set of demos with the same cover. How fucking confusing for collectors. I already see asshole sellers on Y!A asking way more (4000 yen +) than they should for it too. Here is the tracklist:

1. カプチーノ
2. 赤い部屋
3. 東京地下一階
4. in the room1
5. 悦子の食卓
6. ファミレス
7. 眼球
8. in the room2
9. 剃刀ガール
10. なめんだら
11. サービス
12. 少女3号
13. in the room3
14. 109回目の結婚式
15. あの雨その水たまり

The demos that appeared on the other demo album are different takes. I believe some are old and some are demo takes for Zettai Shoujo too. It's really hard to tell exactly when everything was recorded. But it's still a pretty neat listen.
Old 2013.12.16, 06:22 AM   #49
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

2013 - The Honorable Mentions
As I put the finishing touches on my top 50 list/write up/descent into madness, I wanted to talk about seven albums that aren't making my list this year, but are worth discussion and attention. Like last year, I wanted to limit my honorable mentions to new artists who I hope and expect to improve in the near future. However, this year I included a couple of releases that didn't make my list because of my own shortcomings -- but I'll explain that when I get to them.

Name:  hm1.png
Views: 87
Size:  83.0 KB
That Iron Taste Marika Hackman

A very concise and punchy indie pop, indie folk album. Marika Hackman peppers her debut with interesting sounds and evocative lyrics. The opener “Bath is Black” creeps into a near dance beat and the bouncy “I’ll Borrow Time” is a late album gem. These tracks contrast with the rest of the album which settles into an ethereal, near American gothic feeling.

"Bath is Black"

Name:  hm2.png
Views: 86
Size:  120.4 KB
Early Fragments Fear of Men

This was on my top 50 until the last second. Honestly, everything was packed and ready. One thing that can’t be faulted are the songs on this thing. Early Fragments cobbles together Fear of Men’s singles across various labels which are some of the best indie pop, dream pop you will find this year or any year. Fear of Men don’t reinvent the wheel, it’s all very straight and clean and lush in spite of its lo-fi-ness. These are the songs I would want to play on my college radio show, cute catchy songs that can be played again and again until a hole is burned through the disk. I am quite eager to hear a proper full length from this band and hope the wait is not too long.

"Ritual Confession"

Name:  hm3.png
Size:  47.2 KB
Dissed and Dismissed Tony Molina
This record is about maximum riffage. Weezer pre-Green style melodies and towering riffs with a Robert Pollard attitude makes for a 90’s guitar fiend such as myself foam at the mouth. 12 tracks and the longest of which is a measly 92 seconds! Molina crafts his moment and lets it go. Maybe Molina agrees that that’s all a good rock song is, 30 amazing seconds stretched out and revisited for three to four minutes.

"Walk Away"

Name:  hm4.png
Size:  168.0 KB
Tape Two Priests
Savages may have been the big name in female post-punk, but Priests are hot on their heels. Where Savage singer Jenny Beth is forceful and menacing, Priests’ Daniele Daniele sounds unhinged and broken. Daniele buds as a star of the Karen O cloth (pre-Fever to Tell) as she allows herself to be possessed and holler and shriek with no particular concerns. She apes Lana Del Rey in “Lana” and even shows a crack of vulnerability in the last seconds of opener “Leave me Alone,” even the spoken word protest “USA (Incantations)” is captivating.

"Incantations" and "Leave Me Alone"
Bandcamp

Name:  hm5.png
Size:  64.6 KB
Fleshfruitzszz Bear

I made a concerted effort to get into my own local music scene a little too late this year, just before my big build up for my list. One promising San Antonio artist I found on Bandcamp is Maxine Crump (aka Bear.) On her fleshfruitzszz she crafts immediate and captivating bedroom pop, “Sheepskin Coats” shown flashes of Laura Stevens. Even a sound experiment like “Lost City Dinner” which is an acoustic pop song played over wild noise from a diner plays well and comes across as charming. I find a lot to be excited about in this tape. Don’t give in to the allure of Austin, Maxine. Keep San Antonio Lame.

fleshfruitzszz full album stream

Name:  hm6.png
Size:  77.1 KB
Hubardo Kayodot

This is my failure. Kayodot churns out a dense, ambitious record where the performances are strong, the arrangements pull from every corner, and the songs never grow tepid. And I just couldn’t wrap my head around it all. Maybe sometime soon I can return and better assess this record, but Hubardo wears me out. Maybe you will have better luck with this record, provided you get past the Cookie Monster vocals that start the record. There’s a lot to love here, but the remainder of this year just wasn’t enough time for me.

"And he Built him a Boat

Name:  hm7.png
Size:  25.6 KB
The Redeemer Dean Blunt

The Redeemer is a masterpiece and I am a fool. Blunt’s vocals are soulful and se sets out on one of the most ambitious records put out this year full of self-loathing, projection, and mistrust. So why is this not on my list? Sometimes the best type of masterpiece is the flawed masterpiece, and Redeemer has some flaws that are stand out a bit too much up close in December. These flaws are best seen on “Demon,” the electronics feel under researched, the sound effects and awkward “computer voice” sound straight out of the can. It’s just so jarring, especially when the saxophone and Joanne Robertson’s vocals come in. These elements work so well, why doesn’t every element? These are qualms I have throughout the album, not just this track. Maybe there’s some point that’s 3deep5me this year, and it will click with me down the road. Because honestly, for every yucky MIDI moment, there’s two really moving moments.

"The Redeemer"

Top 50 coming up!

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2013.12.16 at 06:27 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.16, 06:44 AM   #50
TurtleFu

awwww yussssss
Jihad list time!