Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2013.09.13, 05:45 AM   #121
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
They are rearrangements of songs in such ways the suck the life out of the materiel.
How long has it been since you listened to this though? I'm not saying that I think your opinion might have changed but do you clearly remember every nuance?

I find it strange that someone I find with respectable music taste finds an album of such depth so unappealing. Like seriously, I find some of this album profoundly moving to the point that I consider it one of the defining albums in my personal collection (I guess it does help being not too far from other stuff I like either - Guernica springs to mind, along with some Tori Amos albums). Particularly the arrangement of Gamble and Stem. I mean, come on, surely you can't hate on those? If anything, at least I hope that gives some more clear understanding why I rate it so highly.
Old 2013.09.13, 06:18 AM   #122
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I could do without a 12th and precipitously less interesting version of Stem.

The Saito Neko arrangements sound like they belong as music playing in a flowershop. In general, most of these already sounded better in Baishou Xstasy. The HF version of Gamble is not bad but I find that much of what makes it good is the original version. Like when Paul McCartney plays Hey Jude or Maybe I'm Amazed backed by a full orchestra. It sounds full and awesome, but we already have points of reference for those songs. Its cool to hear those songs in that way, but they're songs we already know in love so the sell wasn't very hard.

I've said it before, but HF is KZK Grandma version to my ears (at least the Saito Neko rearrangements.) Like an easy listening repackage that an artist (like Paul McCartney) releases in their 50's or 60's, but done only 3-4 years after the originals!

The remix of Yokushitsu is so perfunctory they might as well have just titled it and left it a blank track.

The original songs are worth listening to.
Old 2013.09.13, 06:32 AM   #123
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Hmm well, fair enough, like people that don't like the new Goldfrapp album, it's your loss.
Old 2013.09.13, 08:12 AM   #124
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I am happy enjoying the songs on it I do enjoy.
Old 2013.09.13, 09:36 AM   #125
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

By no means do I think any of the songs on this album are bad, but I felt some of the arrangements were done better, especially on KZK. Or maybe it's because those versions are so familiar to me already that it's hard to think these ones are superior.

Unfortunately I haven't heard the original version of Gamble because I can't seem to find Zecchoushuu anywhere. I'd love to hear it.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.09.13, 01:28 PM   #126
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I can't help thinking it's a little unfair to judge the album as if it wasn't connected to a film. I for one can't listen to Heisei Fuuzoku without picturing Sakuran.

Having seen Sakuran with a large audience, I can say that the music is extremely effective---probably the most effective thing in the film, apart from the cinematography---and sticks in people's minds.

In that context, HF rocks.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.09.13, 03:10 PM   #127
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I've talked numerous times about how much I love this album, but I wish people would stop saying "We have KZK, let's bury HF"
Uh, no. Because the context that the songs are played in changes how they can be listened to. KZK is an incredibly dense album, and sometimes I am in the mood to listen to something that isn't so active and dynamic, HF is ornate and beautiful, there are some times when I would rather listen to HF than KZK.

The arpeggio that is played when Yokushitsu switches to English is present in neither of the other two versions of the songs, which alone makes it worth listening to.

Jihad, you've sang praises for TJ's The Lady is a Tramp, correct? Why listen to that when you have Ella's version GAWD. And why listen to THAT when you have Sinatra's version, JEESH.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.09.13, 07:50 PM   #128
Tokyo Jihad

No. I actually think it's just awful. It's one of the lowest points in Shiina 's catalog in my opinion.
Old 2013.09.14, 08:11 AM   #129
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I could do without a 12th and precipitously less interesting version of Stem.

The Saito Neko arrangements sound like they belong as music playing in a flowershop. In general, most of these already sounded better in Baishou Xstasy. The HF version of Gamble is not bad but I find that much of what makes it good is the original version. Like when Paul McCartney plays Hey Jude or Maybe I'm Amazed backed by a full orchestra. It sounds full and awesome, but we already have points of reference for those songs. Its cool to hear those songs in that way, but they're songs we already know in love so the sell wasn't very hard.

I've said it before, but HF is KZK Grandma version to my ears (at least the Saito Neko rearrangements.) Like an easy listening repackage that an artist (like Paul McCartney) releases in their 50's or 60's, but done only 3-4 years after the originals!

The remix of Yokushitsu is so perfunctory they might as well have just titled it and left it a blank track.

The original songs are worth listening to.
I totally agree with this. I only enjoy Gamble and 錯乱 (TERRA ver.). Saito Neko is elevator music. This compilation lacks Ringo's energy. SG minus the Saito Neko songs is this kinda of stuff done right.

The remixes are about as interesting as the piano version of Poker Face.

Poker Face (Piano Version)
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.09.14, 05:18 PM   #130
deadgrandma

^Hmm its kinda easy to handle this kinda criticism from an AKB48 fan though, we know what you're after when it comes to music :-p

And enough with your uneducated Saito Neko bashing. Go listen to his work with Haniwa Allstars before you call him "elevator music".