Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.11.30, 01:16 AM   #1
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Lightbulb The Shiina Ringo Collective!

Looking up music credits has been a recent endeavour of mine. This stuff may be fairly obvious to long-time fans, but I remembered that when Sanmon Gossip was announced, I didn't know that a handful of musicians had already worked with her during her solo career. So maybe this thread can be a reference point?

As I understand it...

Shiina Ringo produced KZK and Sanmon Gossip; arranged Shouso Strip, SS-era singles and KZK, Toki ga Bousou Suru, Shuraba single, Tegami, Ryuukou, Zero Chiten Kara, Togatta Teguchi and Bonsai Hada

Seiji Kameda arranged Muzai Moratorium, Shouso Strip, Kame-pact on UM, most MM-SS singles, Yokushitsu (HF). Contrary to popular belief, did not actually produce anything, although I read somewhere here that Adult's production was his idea

Inoue Uni produced Koufukuron single, Shouso Strip, Kame-pact, HF and Sanmon Gossip; arranged KZK, Ringo Catalogue, Zero Chiten Kara, Togatta Teguchi,

Saito Neko arranged HF (Except Karisome, Yokushitsu and Oiran), Ii Karada, Futabocchi Jikan, La salle de bain

Soil&PIMP Sessions arranged Karisome Otome Death Jazz, Mayakashi Yasaotoko, JAM arranged Shun

Hattori Takayuki arranged Ringo no Uta, Mittei Monogatari, Irokoizata, Sid to Hakuchumuu (MwJ)

Mori Toshiyuki arranged Aisaika no Choushoku, Mori-pact, Yattsuke Shigoto, Shuukyou and Poltergeist orchestral parts

Nakayama Nobuhiko did the synth programming on Shouso Strip, arranged zero chiten kara and Togatta Teguchi

Susumu Nishikawa was MM Guitarist -- Tadashi Machii, Kabukichou, Koufukuron, Sid, KdKS, Keikoku; SS Guitar -- Every track except Stoicism, Tsumi to Batsu, Kyogenshou and Honnou

Yukio Nagoshi was Shouso Strip Guitarist -- Kyogenshou, Honnou, Togatta Teguchi

I didn't realise just how much Kameda worked with solo Ringo -- seems he was a major force MM/SS, whereas KZK was mainly a product of SR and Inoue Uni -- Bakeneko Killer. Bakeneko Killer also produced Sanmon Gossip, although they arranged only four tracks. It may be interesting to look at if you want to figure out Ringo's style. What's apparent to me is that she gets around a lot (She has collabed with a lot more people), and is kinda like a sponge.

Funny when you consider Sanmon Gossip's theme being 'naked', and her having male musicians 'collaborate' with her for the entire album and it's pretty reflective of her entire career.

PS. Also, Inoue Uni is a beast. It seems that he puts the i in Shiina and the i in Ringo.

Feel free to make corrections or add other collaborators...
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.30, 02:34 AM   #2
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

I never thought it was fair to give all the credit to that one girl we call ringo, and I know the same could be said for a lot of bands and singers ESPECIALLY in the pop genre but I think some of this stuff is so good that its kind of obvious it wasnt just one person responsible. When I say Shiina Ringo, I am often referring to shiina and kameda +.

I did not know anything about Inoue Uni because I am a shitty fan (as I have said 100 times, I hate being a fan and I hate researching stuff that doesnt add to my enjoyment of the music) but I suppose I should check him out because if someone other than Ringo the girl is responsible for the what-goes-where on that album, they are the true genius I aspire to surpass.
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.30, 03:26 AM   #3
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

There's nothing much to check out, it seems. The only musician he has been associated with is Shiina Ringo, as well as a handful of what I'm guessing are minor acts. Any time he is credited as arranging a song, it's always with Ringo as 'Bakeneko Killer', and he produces all of Tokyo Jihen's work -- including 3min -- and does the programming stuff (Like in Shuraba). He's like the sixth member of Tokyo Jihen. You should look at his credits for KZK, very impressive.

He is a mysterious man. His real name is unknown, as well as his birth date. I wonder if he's the Shouso Strip-era monkey.

Anyone know anything about him?
Old 2009.12.01, 05:31 AM   #4
shiinafile

shiinafile is headed in the right direction

Well, it's beyond obvious that our beloved SR couldn't be solely responsible for the sheer complexity of all those albums. Just listen to all the stuff going on on the first 3 albums alone. The recording of music is never a one person endeavor, always a collaborative effort. The thing is SR is the guiding force and most likely brings out the best in everyone involved. Most studio musicians are just drones that have to be tweaked in the right direction.
shiinafile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.01, 05:39 AM   #5
Scribble R

It's interesting when you look at who did what, though. I'd have put Yokushitsu HF down to being a product of Bakeneko Killer.

(I wonder who was involved with Tamatebako...)
Old 2009.12.01, 07:53 AM   #6
shiinafile

shiinafile is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
It's interesting when you look at who did what, though. I'd have put Yokushitsu HF down to being a product of Bakeneko Killer.

(I wonder who was involved with Tamatebako...)
I appreciate your post. Admirable job on finding all that info.
shiinafile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.01, 08:25 AM   #7
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

Nakayama Nobuhiko was the DJ at Zazen Ecstacy too, if I'm not mistaken. I also think the reason why Kameda was not credited as SR's producer early on is because Ringo did all the arranging (i.e. wrote the parts for each instrument). However, I'm fairly certain Kameda had a large influence over the sound of SR's first two albums and atleast Adult.