Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2013.07.27, 05:38 PM   #111
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by karateexplosion View Post
Utaite Myouri is underrated. I feel that most errybody recognizes it as "good", but nobody ever really talks about how truly excellent it is.
Agreed. I prefer Ringo's Starting Over to Lennon's.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.27, 06:25 PM   #112
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

^Also, if it weren't for Ringo, I'd have never been exposed to the wonders of Janis Ian or Edith Piaf (well, at least not at such a young age).
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.27, 08:10 PM   #113
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

It's kind of surprising that Ringo said that she felt like she was "ripping fans off" with the Utaite Myouri release because it didn't have any original songs from her. I don't remember where I read that but I read it on the internet so it must be true!

But I digress... If anything it's a treat to fans. We get to hear not only a collection of Shiina's favorite songs but her own unique take on all of them. It's also a wonderful introductory piece for people who are just discovering Shiina Ringo. My parents can't really get into her solo or Jihen stuff as much but they can appreciate her take on classic songs.
Old 2013.07.27, 11:48 PM   #114
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Irokoizata receives way too much hate on here.

Screw you guys, it's my second favorite track on SG nowadays (after Shun). Many have likened this song to 'elevator music'... I'm still waiting for the day I hear this in an elevator, I won't be getting out :-p

Also, it's vinyl mix I am very certain is quite a bit different to the CD, more vibrant (the harps, keyboards and brass sections are more pronounced/seperated rather than mixed together- though that could be my particular cart/stylus making this effect) and bassy, but with a slightly lower vocal mix. I'm not saying either mix is the superior one, just that they are definitely different from one another.

Would be nice to get a MoRA-fied SG one day (96khz/24bit)...

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.07.28 at 12:01 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.28, 03:30 AM   #115
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

^Do people hate Irokoizata? I wouldn't put it among my favorites of that era, but I like it well enough. It's pretty inoffensive, all things considered.

Speaking of elevator music, I don't think I've ever actually been in an elevator that's had a sound system playing music. I feel so pedestrian.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.28, 05:46 AM   #116
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I used to really like it, but now the muzak feeling is more pronounced to me and I'm just left thinking "aren't there other songs I can listen to?"

But in the context of the entire album it really works well.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2013.07.28 at 05:50 AM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.04.30, 08:05 PM   #117
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Kageriyuku Heya is seldom mentioned anymore. Some casual fans have no fucking clue what I'm talking about when I mention it. Probably cause it's not on a major release and is a cover. So maybe not so much underrated (I'm sure this is a fan favourite) but more overlooked.

I tell you what though, if she decided to bring this out on a new tour, I'd shit myself. (BTW, Is there a bootleg live of this I have been missing out on????- or are all the bootleg nazi's keeping it in their secret base from us???) And then pray that it was recorded for a Blu Ray.

If you can't remember, maybe it's time to go back and give it a spin. Along with Spica (which I don't like as much but I no longer find it grating, which I did for quite a while, I find the melody so cliche and phoned-in. *Takes cover from angry oldschool fans*) Might as well jam with Yoake no Uta, a seriously under-appreciated gem on Phase 2's side, while you're on it.

Also: goes back to read past comments and I mentioned Kageriyuku Heya there too... lolz

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.04.30 at 08:26 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.11, 04:57 PM   #118
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

Thanks for the information on the cover track, deadgrandma. I've never heard of it myself; it truly is overlooked in the community.

Now, I know that nothing off of KZK can really be considered underrated. But within the context of the album, I would say that Poltergeist is highly underrated. I love that album to death but only a few tracks really move me and Poltergeist is one of them. I think it is often overshadowed by the track after it.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.06.29, 02:57 PM   #119
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Ringo Expo '14!
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.06.30, 01:17 AM   #120
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

SUNNY. lol.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote