Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.09.12, 08:21 PM   #861
makenshiww

makenshiww pleased at least somebody

I went to Kinokuniya and saw what the normal press of Sanmon Gossip looked like. I will take a picture next time. But its basically the same. except the backcover. and no slip on case. The sleeve did have some different design on it though.
makenshiww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.12, 11:35 PM   #862
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

frecklegirl, just for comparison, this is a quick and dirty translation I did from the romaji on your page. I think your word choice is pretty smart (I always tend to make japanese to english backwards and longwinded), but what I did was flip around the sentences to make it flow better and correct the particle usage. the "kara" in the third to last line isn't a "da kara" but a "kara" as in "kara" and "made," so she is saying running from fears. i'm not quite sure why you choose set it free, though. Also, I don't really agree with picking "sworn" in the top since the line is referencing checking the bonds that tie their lives together, it doesn't mention any oath or swearing. here is the first paragraph....

if someone were to fossilize my body,
I'd want it to be you to bring me back to life.
So that we aren't coated in more dust than this,
I once more will check these bonds that tie us together
and the life that we share.
running in fear from recognizing our eventual separation,
we can only scold, then laugh, as always.

I took some creative liberties but I think it remains direct and easy to understand.

the second paragraph should go something like this...

and when someone sings your praises
I won't be the one to smash your stature
so that we won't be soiled in such gossip,
I will once more check our joined hearts
and see just the reverence we hold for each other
someday we will melt even these fears of withering
while outside it grows light, transforms, ebbs and flows

substantiate
that as long as we live, it is one continuous season
fulfill me
feel the now and remember, even more than usual
live, live, let's live our lives

so as you can see our translations are similar but different in some areas. as I mentioned before the start of the second paragraph she is talking about someone else being praised and her not bringing him down. 1 I talked to my bf and he said that "生きる" is passive, whereas 活きる is more aggressive, like taking control and really living your life, not just existing, like the other kanji implies, so that is why I translated it as as such. the tokasu shows that she is talking about her melting the fear, in this case the sura implying an "even withering" type of situation.

as for the last part, I quite liked how you translated it, especially the "fulfill me" bit, but I did the zutto shun da to part differently because the saying "be in season" is something else entirely in Japanese where here she is just saying zutto shun da, or, a continuous season. anyyyywywaaayysss, I haven't looked at ryuukou but i'll check it out later if you want. I hope this doesn't piss you off too much.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.13, 11:24 AM   #863
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
freckle, in shun, the first part should be more along the lines of "if someones turns me to fossil, I'd want you to bring me back to life." the particle "ni" combined with the verb denotes that ringo is asking someone a favor.

the second part (start of second stanza), should be "and when someone gives you praise, I won't chip away at your stature." or something of the sort.

just be careful with the particles, the words seems okay enough but I'm guessing you did this with rikaichan and in the process missed some the particles while writing it out because both of the "ni morau" and "wo verb" are basic structures that I know you know (that I know you know...)
You're right about the first one; that just didn't occur to me and I'll change it accordingly.

As for the second... I looked it up (gah, should've done that before, I usually do for phrases that don't immediately make sense, just forgot to this time) and...

姿勢をくずす
relax one's position
So, we were both off!!

And haha, I don't care if you also post your own translation! Everyone has their own interpretations.

I also finished a few more translations.
- Roudousha
- Zero chiten kara
- Tsugou no ii Karada

And yeah, I don't really care if you go through them and look for things you think I missed/got wrong; no translator is perfect and I know there are bound to be things that just slipped my mind.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.13, 11:38 AM   #864
LoverlyBijouu

LoverlyBijouu pleased at least somebody

Thank you so much, frecklegirl!!!
LoverlyBijouu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.13, 12:09 PM   #865
kuro_neko

I actually like your translations a lot. I don't like translating so much, in the end it depends on the song and the structure. Shun was actually fun and simple just because of the structure and the fact that I really enjoy the song, nice and short.

I think its our job really to support one another. our community is small enough where if one of us was making mistakes and the handful of people who could help out didn't bother, it could cause problems.

that is an interesting idiom, I wonder why she choose it? I suppose she could mean something along the lines of "and if someone were to sing your praises, I'd wouldn't let you rest on your laurels" or something of the sort.
Old 2009.09.13, 12:11 PM   #866
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

See, but I don't think that second line can be talking about the other person, because the verb would then be different to reflect the "let you." She has to be talking about herself there. "If someone were to praise you, I wouldn't rest on my laurels." Something like that.

And, I agree! If someone points out something I need to fix in my translation, it just makes my translation that much stronger, so I can't possibly have a problem with that.
Old 2009.09.13, 01:38 PM   #867
kuro_neko

I'd say that she was talking about herself but one thing I've noticed is that a lot of times people are really really lazy with grammar in japanese and if they have already made it clear that we are talking about someone, they don't even bother with correct saseru conjugation. I talked to my bf about this particular paragraph and he thought it could go either way, the line isn't so clearly drawn. as you have it now works in your translation, so I'd leave it at that. translation definitely is not an exact science
Old 2009.09.22, 07:41 PM   #868
frecklegirl
apple-princess

Last bit of translations from this album:

Togatta Teguchi
Irokoizata
Bonsai Hada
Yokyou

Yay, done!
Old 2009.09.22, 07:45 PM   #869
LoverlyBijouu

LoverlyBijouu pleased at least somebody

Yeah! I just saw the translations up there!
Thank you!
LoverlyBijouu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.19, 03:32 AM   #870
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Just wanted to say that if you want to know who contributed to what in each song, check out the Japanese wiki. Put this through Google Translate, it'll translate it perfectly: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%9D%...BA%8B%E5%A4%89

Things that interested me:

Ryuukou isn't a collab with just HZM and Mummy D, but with PEZ and Maboroshi

Shiina's biggest involvement in arrangement is 0 maru chiten kara, in which she did piano and lead synth.

The other half of bakeneko killer, Inoue, did the programming work in MaruSad.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote