Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2013.12.05, 11:09 AM   #1
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer
Default Favorite Albums of 2013 (and more!)

Here is the thread. The thread is here. The thread I wait for every year!

When I was younger, I used to think that Amazon's Best Of end of year lists were the definitive judgement and it was the thing I looked forward to every December (other than Christmas morning.) I realized the Amazon lists are by no means scholarly, but I enjoyed them nonetheless.

Here is this year's. The foam on my mouth dissipated over the years for Amazon's list. They no longer include a unique little blurb for each of the top 50 and now that I'm all snooty and listen to "jazz" and "noise" and crap I have outgrown that list's purpose. I am a creature of habit and there's usually a couple of surprises for me (Lucius is a cool pick, Hookworm's Pearl Mystic at 54, I didn't even know was sold by Amazon. I think its cool Kacey Musgraves is so high, even if it's not too surprising.)

So that's what's starting the thread this year, the list that started my fascination with End of Years. Now I'm most eager to read yours!

(Sorry I don't have any actual "content" yet, I'm still toiling over it. Probably 10 days from now, hopefully I'll have a little something something by then.)

Inseu posted this in the CLT, and since its in the spirit, I'll re-post it here

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
Still a bit early for Top 10 of 2013, but I don't think I'm getting another album, no matter how new and rebellious the artist appears.

Stuff I own:

1. Goto Mariko - m@u ?/10

Personal favourite...hard to explain why I like it more than others.

2. Morning Musume - Best! Updated 9/10

Half old hits, half new singles, all "updated" to electropop. It's pretty repetitive but I'm obsessed with this group. I also give the new Berryz Koubou, C-ute, and Smileage album 6/10.

3. Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Nanda Collection 9/10

Classic except for "なんだこれくしょん", which is too long. Played it to death when it came out.

4. Perfume - Level3 8/10

Their best album.

5. Shiina Ringo - Ukina 8/10

Takashi Taniguchi, Zazen Boys, and Bussy Man

6. Melt-Banana - Fetch 8/10

Not as good as Cell-Scape but great.

7. 小南泰葉 - Chimera 7/10

Don't like her slow songs much.

8. Tricot - THE 6.5/10

Good for a debut, not nowhere as good as Midori's worst.

9. 0.8秒と衝撃 - 電子音楽の守護神 5.5/10

Boring rehash. I'm done with this band.

Stuff I don't own, but worth mentioning

1. 惑星アブノーマル - 何でも無い凶器 7.5/10

Vocals are alright, music is great.

2. 9mm Parabellum Bullet - Dawning 7/10

Enjoyable rehash

3. NMB48 - Teppen Tottande!
7/10

One of AKB's best albums.

4. Uplift Spice - ØØØ
6/10

It rocks, but inconsistent.

5. Momoiro Clover Z - 5th Dimension 6/10

Enjoyable for a few listens. Hyped.

6. 凛として時雨 - i'mperfect 5.5/10

It's supposed to be great but does nothing for me.

7. 385 - Ningen

It exists.

Best Western Album:

How the hell am I supposed to know?
To Inseu: is that 385 album actually good? I meant to listen to it last night.
EDIT: also no Kinoku Teikoku? They got more and more ink as the year went on.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2013.12.05 at 11:12 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.05, 11:41 AM   #2
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I like this song from the 385 album but that's about it.

No Kinoku Teikoku cos post-rock, shoegaze isn't my thing.

Also forgot to mention these albums, which many people like:

7!! - Doki Doki
Charisma.com - Aye-Aye Syndrome
Hanae - Jyukkai Quiz
Oreskaband - Hot Number
Seiko Oomori - Mahou Ga Tsukaenai Nara Shinitai
Soutaiseiriron - Town Age
Etsuko Yakushimaru - Radio Onsen Eutopia
Passepied - Fever
黒木渚 - Kuroki Nagisa
Maximum the Hormone 予襲復讐
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.05, 03:23 PM   #3
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Well, I was gonna wait a little bit longer to get started on mine, but I think it's safe to say my list isn't going to change dramatically. I think I'm gonna skip the introduction this year, you get the deal. Besides the interesting part is seeing the list. I'm gonna go with my top 20 and then at the end my honorable and dishonorable mentions.

So without further ado: My top 20 of 2013 begins!

20. Momoiro Clover Z- 5TH DIMENSION

No, this isn't a joke, I actually do enjoy this album quite a bit. Why? Because unlike most idol groups, this band takes advantage of each of the girls so-so voices and brings it out in an explosion of batshit crazy.

A lot of variety (from ridiculous metal guitar riffs to the most insane dubstep I've ever heard), bombast, over-the-top pageantry, great production and overall just plain solid songs make this one a winner. Even the most hardened anti-idol person should be able to find something to enjoy here.

Just look at this. It's almost Togawa insane.
MCZ

A real unexpected treat for me this year.
Old 2013.12.05, 03:30 PM   #4
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Yusssss dg's list. Can't wait!

That album art is freaky!
Old 2013.12.05, 04:08 PM   #5
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

19. Maximum the Hormone- Yoshuu Fukushuu

If you've heard anything by Maximum the Hormone, you pretty much get the drill- upbeat nu-metal band that mix all kinds of genres into their songs while never taking anything too seriously. Yoshuu Fukushuu delivers more of the same, and for most fans that's exactly what they want!

I can't deny I really, really enjoyed listening to this, my only gripe was that so much of it was stuff we had already had on singles and overall, the transitions from one genre to another was not as smooth as previous efforts. That aside, it's still quite a wild ride, and has just as many twists and turns and the ability to make the listener feel really good. The band still know how to hit hard with their 'heavy' riffs and when to pull the listeners funny-bone when they'll suddenly bring out (for seemingly no reason) an idol-pop inspired section into the middle of a song.

Would have been higher in the list if it matched previous albums in quality, but still deserves a place in the top 20 for pure enjoyment.

Oh and that title track, it's the best song they've ever recorded. I'll give them that:

Yoshu Fukushuu
Old 2013.12.05, 05:26 PM   #6
deadgrandma

18. Ihsahn- Das Seelenbrechen

What? Deadgrandma posting a black metal album? Well to be honest, this album is to black metal as Opeth are to death metal: far beyond their genre confinement.

For those that don't know, Ihsahn is best known for his work with Emperor, however, his solo work is where I feel things get much more interesting- Das Seelenbrechen is no exception. Infact, this album sounds nothing like Emperor (or even his earlier solo work) whatsoever. The closest thing I could classify it as is probably progressive metal. Kinda.

An album that grips from the second you start, it is a total surprise to what you may be expecting. Sure, it's bleak, dark, but it also has a lot of interesting experimentation going on. It is a mood piece, and requires the listener to really stop everything and focus to 'get into it'. But the amount of time you put into it, really is rewarded by one of the richest recordings of the year.

I find it hard to put into words, I feel the best way to recommend it is just to tell people to listen to it (preferably as a whole).

Ihsahn- Tacit

Ok, that'll do for today. More to come tomorrow!
Old 2013.12.06, 05:18 AM   #7
Tokyo Jihad

I thought you always liked black metal?

I liked when the horns came in on the Ihsahn song. That Maximun the Hormone song is all over the place. I guess the Momoiro Clover Z song is supposed to be ironic, what with the album art and the way over the top video. I don't get Idol, Anti-idol culture mane.
Old 2013.12.06, 04:45 PM   #8
deadgrandma

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I thought you always liked black metal?
Well, it's a genre I usually hate on, give or take a few exceptions. I usually find the whole thing a bit cheesy, and it's notorious for its tinny-quality production (though, I guess this is why its so popular- it's DIY aesthetic).

Anyway, let's keep going with the list shall we.

17. Janelle Monáe- The Electric Lady

Now, I'm not claiming to be some new-found RnB fan or anything, nor am I claiming to understand or even really care about the whole "concept" behind Monáe's albums/persona, but what I cannot deny, is that this is a damn solid album with some of the most beautiful RnB/soul tracks I have ever heard. Not to mention that the whole thing never feels forced or fake.

The draw at first was Turtlefu mentioning her, so kudos for that Turtlefu and then seeing the videoclip for Primetime and being totally blown away. Why can't all the RnB we get on the radio sound like this? I would be able to slide into appreciating the genre a whole lot easier if it did!

Anyway, I'm not going to go into too much detail here and end up sounding like a complete fucking noob (cause I know I am), but what I can say is that it's one of my most listened and relistened albums of the year, I highly recommend it to anyone. Not a dull track and a near perfect flow (this is probably because of its ingenious 'suites' idea for the way it is structured). I say go for it!

Primetime
Old 2013.12.06, 05:10 PM   #9
deadgrandma

16. Sigur Rós- Kveikur

If last year's Valtari was a meditation, then this album is the polar opposite. Never has Sigur Rós sounded this close to being a hard rock band, and I think the new style really does wonders for them, especially for a fan like me who was starting to lose touch. I never considered any of their work bad, but from Takk... onward, I have been becoming less and less interested. Kveikur then, is the wake-up call I needed to keep the faith.

The album flat out smashes, jangles, wails, and rocks your foundations throughout its proceedings. It's the first time Sigur Rós to me have had an album with truly distinguishable tracks, as in, you won't feel bad if you don't listen to it as a whole piece. Some people may consider this a detriment, but for me, I think it's nice to have a Sigur Rós album that could be put into a party mix for a change.

Sure, it's no Aegetis Byrjun or () (if it was, it would be higher on the list), but as for a general rock album, it's top of its game. Any casual listener will get some real enjoyment out of it, and for newcomers, it might be a good starting point, being that it is so accessible.

All tracks have their own identity, and they're all as good as one another. I highly recommend it.

Isjaki
Old 2013.12.06, 05:41 PM   #10
deadgrandma

15. Rob Zombie- Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor

So how does one of the most critically and fan panned albums of the year end up on my top 20 list? Because it's just so damn fun to listen to, that's why. Gleefully awful album cover, ridiculous vocals (count how many "YEAHS" appear throughout), trademark horror movie inspired lyrics/samples, great overblown guitar riffs and simple, headbanging melodies. It's all I need for a great ROCK AND ROLL session. Chuck in a couple of beers, mates and you've got the perfect accompaniment for a guys night in.

While many people don't like Rob Zombie, I think he is still one of the best live entertainers, and the energy really crosses over onto his studio recordings. It may make you feel 15 years old when you listen to it, but that's OK once in a while, some of my best memories were from when I was that age :-p

I can't really recommend it to anyone unless they already like Rob Zombie, but if you do, there's nothing wrong with this album :-)

Teenage Nosferatu Pussy