Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2010.08.27, 04:23 AM   #111
MagicSword!

MagicSword! has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Oh God, someone thinks I have a coherent opinion? Sorely mistaken I'm afraid!

Just posting to say that Tokyo Jihen performed Tengoku e Youkoso on Music Station tonight, and... it was a fine performance, and it's not going to change anyone's opinion of the song, but the costumes were interesting. They were at an onsen when someone punched them through a plate glass window (all the glass got in their hair) and then Ringo-chan crafted a microphone out of foliage perhaps? Also - the short cut and the blonde/red wigs seem to be gone... another hair change! I didn't recognise her with this hair at first!

Should I keep contributing to the new/old/jihen/solo rambling in this thread? Ah... probably there's a better place for it. But - it's interesting what kuro neko said about wishing she would go back to being less technically perfect, more raw and emotional. Me too, I like what she's doing at the moment, but it's definitely missing an edge like that. But would you want her to 'force' that emotional edge? Perhaps it's not something that she really feels at the moment, and the results of faking it...?

I mean, add to that that Ringo-chan's music has never felt (to me, of course) explicitly personal on the whole. The sneer and bite that you can hear in her earlier music was probably fueled by the 'fire of youth' or however you want to phrase that, but it was still a performance.

Here's something - considering a lot of people would like to see Ringo-chan (and maybe even Tokyo Jihen) lose a little of the polish and sheen, and get a little rawer - can't Kameda be a little to blame for that totally professional sounding music? I mean, the guy's a super-producer in Japan, and even if he's not producting actively... he's got a lot of influence. Before the Jihen interview on Music Station tonight, they talked to just him about another one of the bands (Weaver) who he had produced. And, of course, Kameda's been with her since day one-ish or before.

I went back to give Sanmon Gossip another go and... y'know I think I'll stand mostly behind my previous, slightly OTT statement. I don't really like SG, and, for me, there's more soul in Sports. Variety and Sanmon Gossip were both albums that I convinced myself I liked until I realised I didn't. Sports, I didn't have high expectations for Sports, but it hooked me in anyway.

Oh and since I've already written far too much, I'll just mention this since it might make some people smile. I went to Rising Sun Rock, the big music festival in Hokkaido this month, and one of the bands I caught, by chance was PE'Z. And I was listening to them thinking - holy shit this keyboardist is INSANE. And of course, it didn't click until I got home that it was HZM. That guy is fucking INCREDIBLE.
MagicSword! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.27, 09:18 AM   #112
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by MagicSword! View Post
Just posting to say that Tokyo Jihen performed Tengoku e Youkoso on Music Station tonight
Tengoku he Youkoso
ChickShhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.27, 04:38 PM   #113
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ChickShhh View Post
holy crap she looks circa Shouso Strip booklet....not only that but wtf is she singing into. are those bean sprouts? christ, this band...
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.27, 06:32 PM   #114
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

All I want to say is that this song fits in the same atmospheric style as Kimaru (not the same quality) and I can get behind that direction if that's where they decide to go. I'm ready for some serious music instead of the throwaway pop-rock they've been putting out.
Old 2010.08.27, 07:59 PM   #115
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

no wigs!

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.28, 07:50 AM   #116
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
All I want to say is that this song fits in the same atmospheric style as Kimaru (not the same quality) and I can get behind that direction if that's where they decide to go. I'm ready for some serious music instead of the throwaway pop-rock they've been putting out.
But more importantly...
Originally Posted by Yahiko
no wigs!
Old 2010.08.28, 11:24 AM   #117
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

It should be so easy for Phase 2 to surpass Kyouiku and Adult. They had a real mood going between the Shuraba single and a few songs on Adult, but they decided to go with a different direction. Uki and Izawa are both unique musicians away from TJ, and instead of getting the best of Petrolz/Appa/Solo Ringo, Tokyo Jihen seems like a dumping ground for Ukizawa's guilty poprock indulgences and Ringo's...I don't know what.

Step it up! And let's have an Ukingo (Rinkigumo? Shiikigumo? Ukiina? Ukigingo?) song in the process! (And a DVD as good as UC to top it off)
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.29, 07:11 PM   #118
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

"Tokyo Jihen seems like a dumping ground for Ukizawa's guilty poprock indulgences and Ringo's...I don't know what.

Step it up! And let's have an Ukingo (Rinkigumo? Shiikigumo? Ukiina? Ukigingo?) "

yes! they've made enough sugary pop rock to fuel their set lists for a long time.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.30, 12:45 AM   #119
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
yes! they've made enough cheesy pop rock to fuel their set lists for a long time.
EFA

Actually can we have a solo theme amongst the alternating banners please? Or a big picture of the Shouso Strip smoking monkey. It might attract posters who are new and excited by the good stuff. There's hardly any discussion of it other than what first press looks like or how to boil your DVD (which I guess are informative in their own way). It's not all dark, raw and unrefined either, in fact hardly any of it is.

I'd take part in it if I wasn't so jaded...

so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.30, 03:20 AM   #120
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ROCKET View Post
More versatile? Yeah, like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0gMiOEAowM

AHAHAH OMG LOL I'vent seen this!!!! awesome XDDDD samulai!

XD i dont know.. theres something about Mikky i don't like.. but it attracts me, i dont know how to explain.. I think its like Nao Matsuzaki (the one who sang momen with ringo -- although she has some real good tracks), she's crappy and poor, but I love her !

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote