Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Associated Artists
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Associated Artists Hirama, H ZETT M, PE'Z, appa, Petrolz, etc.

Old 2009.06.24, 06:38 PM   #71
accela

accela pleased at least somebody

Heh. I've had the same 6 songs from them for the past 7 years, but I've loved those same 6 songs for the past 7 years. 8-D
Old 2009.06.25, 08:39 AM   #72
papilionidae

papilionidae deserves a fucking medal

Asai Kenichi is one of my current fascinations, and CHELSEA is my favorite so far =)
Old 2009.07.21, 04:37 PM   #73
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

This is exactly why I haven't been in a rush to buy older SHERBETS albums yet. I don't take SHM-CDs very seriously (especially not when my tests indicate these discs are more difficult to read than normal discs), but I do like that all SHM releases have been packaged in cardboard sleeves. I already own the vinyl LP for Siberia, so that's as hardcore of packaging as you can get (since the SHM releases are packaged like mini-LPs), but the tracklist of the LP isn't the same as the CD.

Nearly every CD of Asai Kenichi that I own from late 2006 and onward, has been available in cardboard sleeve. I've got 16 Blankey Jet City SHM reissues in cardboard sleeves, plus Asai Kenichi's entire solo career which is another 8 CDs so far (none of which were available in SHM but they all came in cardboard sleeves anyway), plus the latest original SHERBETS album (MAD DISCO) was available in SHM.

Now what I don't understand, is why Siberia is getting reissued before Sekilala. I mean, I do admit I like Siberia better, but I'm just hoping they don't decide that some of the older SHERBETS albums aren't worth reissuing. I guess if I could only have one SHERBETS reissue, Siberia would probably be it, but I hope they'll eventually give the mini-LP treatment to Vietnam 1964 too, with or without SHM.

Anyway, two completely new Asai Kenichi solo-career singles are coming out this season, so there will probably be an album that follows. I have no idea which of his bands the material will most closely resemble.
Old 2009.07.23, 06:56 AM   #74
NoRingoNoLife

NoRingoNoLife pleased at least somebody

I love benji !

and blankey jet city is my favorite !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtmkzY_AxrE This song rock !
NoRingoNoLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.01, 10:52 AM   #75
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

There's an upcoming solo-career album called "Sphinx Rose", which hasn't been announced in any vendor newsmail yet. Presumably both of the A-sides for Friendly and Mad Surfer will be included.

"Sphinx Rose" will be available in Blu-spec* with a bonus DVD (CD Japan | HMV Japan | Tower.jp),
or available as a normal CD without a bonus DVD (CD Japan | HMV Japan | Tower.jp)

Amazon.co.jp and YesAsia haven't listed the new album yet.

*: It's another implementation for record label(s) trying to increase the readability of a standard CD. SHM-CDs are a readability gimmick of the Universal/EMI camp, while Blu-spec is a readability gimmick of the Sony camp. Asai Kenichi's solo career is published by Sony. Blankey Jet City and Sherbets both started with EMI and then jumped ship to Universal. That's why there haven't been unilateral announcements everytime some SHM-CD reissues are getting released, and this is why there hasn't been complete consistency among Asai Kenichi's bands/acts for what kind of CDs are released.
Old 2009.08.04, 02:54 AM   #76
Pamela
Banned

Pamela doesn't have posts anyone cares about yet

I used to listen to hide, Shena Ringo and Chihiro Onitsuka. But today my favorite artist is Kenichi Asai.its pretty nice!
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.20, 03:53 PM   #77
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or did Masami Tsuchiya really participate in an Asai Kenichi concert?

Masami Tsuchiya?

I already knew that Tsuchiya was involved as a producer or an arranger for few of the later Blankey Jet City tracks, but that was right at the turn of the century, and I never heard about any involvement between these two guitarists happening ever since.

Now aside from Tsuchiya showing up, does anyone know what happened to Asai Kenichi's Johnny Heaven through Sparkling Movie crew? I don't see them in this concert or in the latest PVs.
Old 2009.08.21, 03:11 PM   #78
Nebularus

Nebularus is headed in the right direction

While I can't say that the second guitarist in the video played exceptionally well, the idea of Asai adding another guitarist to the band in a live environment is an exciting development (first time I've seen/heard it happen). I've always thought that a second guitarist would add needed texture/oomph to the music, esp. during Asai's soloing.

Regarding his ever-rotating backing band, I'm not surprised to see him changing it up, esp. within the "Asai Kenichi" incarnation - I mean naming the band after himself does imply that he is the focal point. I personally couldn't care less, but I do hope that Jude continues with the players on Electric Rainbow/Shampoo - fantastically talented drummer and bassist.

Edit: I think the bassist (and perhaps drummer?) in the above video are in the "Mad Surfer" video as well. I can see a second guitarist there, too. Cool!

Last edited by Nebularus : 2009.08.21 at 03:15 PM.
Nebularus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.21, 05:02 PM   #79
Glathannus
True Final Boss

This second guitarist is no stranger to Asai Kenichi. If you have any Blankey Jet City albums, look through the booklet credits for "Masami Tsuchiya" and you'll find his name in a few of them.

I'm surprised you don't know who Masami Tsuchiya is. He's even more polarizing of a figure than Ukigumo. Back in Ringo Jihen days, the strongest Ukigumo defender declared Masami Tsuchiya as one of the few guitarists they liked even more than Ukigumo, while one of the strongest 'haters' disliked Masami Tsuchiya even more than they disliked Ukigumo - if that tells you anything. You can't really see or hear a lot of that in the performance I linked to. You have to listen to his own songwriting where he has more creative control to play the guitar in whatever style he wants.

HIGH SCHOOL has always been a two-guitarists song. You know where the second guitar came from? The SHERBETS keyboardist. You'll see this in the PV (found in the bonus DVD for Miracle), and in ghost flowers.

Originally Posted by Nebularus View Post
I think the bassist (and perhaps drummer?) in the above video are in the "Mad Surfer" video as well.
I think you're right.
Old 2009.08.22, 06:58 AM   #80
Nebularus

Nebularus is headed in the right direction

Yes, I must claim total ignorance when it comes to knowing who Masami Tsuchiya is, although I have seen his face (hair style?) before (most likely in some Japanese rock magazine). He may very well be a great and interesting guitarist - my comment was regarding his performance in one song. Is he in his own band? Could you recommend anything for me to listen to?

Technically you're right, Qumico backs Asai on guitar during High School, but to me, that doesn't really count. I'd love to hear a real guitarist for an entire show - that would be cool.

I recorded a Jude and a Sherbets show around 2005-2006 on a mini-disc recorder. If I knew how to transfer the music on my computer I'd try to upload it here. The recordings turned out very well (I also have 4 TJ and a Losalios show). Since I moved back to NA, I have no way of doing so digitally.
Nebularus is offline   Reply With Quote