Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: The Latter Three
Kyouiku 8 38.10%
Adult 8 38.10%
Sanmon Gossip 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012.11.02, 06:03 PM   #21
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I have owned NBA 2K13 for four days now and have yet to play it because busy. I finally have a moment free, and I'd rather reply to this thread.

What is wrong with me?

Back in the day, I thought Adult was better than Kyouiku. The parity is close though. Not too long ago, probably around the time Dai-Hakken came out, I put Adult and Kyouiku on for the first time in years. What struck me most was just how much of Adult had stuck with me. I knew and anticipated every moment with Adult, like picking up a basketball for the first time since the ground froze. It all comes back in a moment. I was big on Adult when it came out, but that is not to say I slept on Kyouiku either. Everything about Adult stood out better, and it all swirls around Kyouiku's old bugaboo. I wouldn't call Adult's production anything to write home about either, it is probably the best sounding Jihen release, but it's awfully sterile. Kyouiku however, just sounds worse as time goes on. I have listened to my share of garage rock, lo-fi, DIY recordings and none of them worth any salt sound as bad as Kyouiku. To give Kyouiku a pass because "that's the aesthetic they were going for" is to not give any credit to these production styles. What I hear is Adult's hospital aesthetic with every track playing hot and just compressed until you have to reconstitute it by mixing in a cup of water. It sounds like an idea hatched by executives who don't know a thing about sound. There are fantastic songs on the record, but the way these songs are presented sell every single one short. No moment stands out on this record because the only thing that stands out is how thin everything sounds and how everything is covered in this nasty digital distortion. It all comes out as a wash to me, which is a bummer. I dream one day some pre-masters of Kyouiku will leak.

Yet I say the parity is close between it and Adult. Adult may be not as consistently well written as Kyouiku, sterile as I said, and stuffy at times. Adult features very good performances from Hata and Kameda but its hard to compare to Kyouiku's performances. The only discernible things at times, besides Shiina's vocals, are Hirama or HZM depending on which is playing the highest note. Adult -pops- and is an overall better package. I'm going to have to disagree with Maou a little bit here, good songs can make good albums, but good songs can get hindered by bad presentation.

I haven't talked about SG. SG is probably the best sounding of the three, but it doesn't have much else on Kyouiku or Adult.
Old 2012.11.02, 07:13 PM   #22
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

So how did the infectious sterility of Adult affect you in real life situations Jihad?
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.02, 07:20 PM   #23
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I would bob my head to the music in real life, if that's what you mean.
Old 2012.11.03, 06:25 PM   #24
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I like the sterility and clinicalness of Adult. I live near this place populated with robotic financial people marching in and out of modern buildings and it conjures the image of that place so strongly in a slightly surreal way. The outro to Keshou Naoshi, and the bit between Yukigini and Kabuki (and Kabuki) sound like sterility in overdrive, which results in kind of paradoxical effect in my mind.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.03, 06:29 PM   #25
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I love Adult. I love Kyouiku. I adore SG to the point that it's unhealthy. It's all good shit.
Old 2012.11.03, 06:59 PM   #26
BlueApple

BlueApple is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
I love Adult. I love Kyouiku. I adore SG to the point that it's unhealthy. It's all good shit.
This is basically how I feel. Choosing JUST ONE is kind of painful & impossible.
BlueApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.03, 07:14 PM   #27
Inseu

I would appreciate this kind of sentiments more if they're about Jihen's entire discography...Osorubeki Otona-tachi is as good as Shuraba. Come on! What's wrong with people? :S
Old 2012.11.03, 07:25 PM   #28
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Osorubeki Otona-tachi is really damn awesome, you are right.

But why compare to Shuraba, they're not really alike one another?
Old 2012.11.03, 07:35 PM   #29
Inseu

To me they're sister songs, just like Sonan and Blackout. They have a similar groove and tempo.
Old 2012.11.04, 07:42 AM   #30
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
I like the sterility and clinicalness of Adult. I live near this place populated with robotic financial people marching in and out of modern buildings and it conjures the image of that place so strongly in a slightly surreal way. The outro to Keshou Naoshi, and the bit between Yukigini and Kabuki (and Kabuki) sound like sterility in overdrive, which results in kind of paradoxical effect in my mind.
See, I can understand personal preferences. Adult's sterile environment works for about a third of the songs. Namely Tasogare Naki. I just feel like Adult and Kyouiku both as a whole leave a bit to be desired in their respective recordings. Sadly, they were so close. Here's something I mentioned to Jihad:

Originally Posted by Maou
Come to think of it, I think the Shuraba single had the best production of anything Jihen-related. It had the edginess of Kyouiku, but didn't sound like it was recorded in a tin can. Oh Shuraba, you showed so much promise.
Just imagine how much better both albums would have come off if they sounded more like the Shuraba single.