Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.11.30, 02:18 PM   #101
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
I'm surprised at how decent the video quality came out on this disc. I was expecting it to look more washed out like KYNK, since audio is hogging most of the bitrate like before. Whoever was responsible for this disc, must've learned the ways of The Scene and had some 5-pass encoding going on or something.

As for the audio, I dunno where your problem is stemming from, Hedofloe. DVD Decrypter worked just fine for me, and I didn't even have a special I/O interface like Elaborate Bytes this time. Perhaps Goldwave is the culprit, because I've never tried it myself.
Basically, I followed this guide:
http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/136/59/

I got the rip of the main movie file with all the songs on it and I checked the stats of it and it says it has everything. This is what the information document it made after the rip said:

0xA0 - Audio - LPCM / 2ch / Unknown (1)kHz / 24bit / Japanese / LBA: 9 / PTS: 00:00:00.050 / Delay: 0ms
0xE0 - Video - MPEG-2 / 720x480 (NTSC) / 4:3 / LBA: 1 / PTS: 00:00:00.050 / Delay: 0ms

Look at the properties of the file itself:

It looks fine but when I play it, the sound is not very loud. I compared the sound of OSCA from that DVD rip and the OSCA lossless and it is not even close how much better my OSCA lossless rip of the cd is. I don't understand how the DVD rip says 96khz and all that and it still is not as good.

So, it doesnt sound as good as I think it should even before I take it into goldwave to split the files. And it's not just a volume leveling problem, because when I listen to it with my headphones, it just sounds like it was ripped from a bad quality video. What can I do >_<
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.11.30, 10:56 PM   #102
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

It's common for DVDs to be quieter than CDs, and video-oriented software/players usually compensate for that. I almost never notice with my audio-only rips, because I'm always using ReplayGain. It's like a virtual Normalize - the actual audio data hasn't been changed, but it's been specially scanned, and a plus or minus decibel value has been calculated for what it would effectively take to Normalize the track, and this value is stored like any other metadata such as the Year of release. Supported players *cough* foobar2000! *cough* check for the value, then auto-adjust the playback level accordingly. What you end up with is different genres and different formats playing at very close to the same volume, and yet if you burn the lossless back to CD, the audio itself is untouched and will remain exactly as loud or quiet as the original.

If you have special albums like Dark Side of the Moon or KSK, that are meant to be seamless experiences, there is an Album mode of ReplayGain, where you scan an entire album at a time, and the same extra Album-mode ReplayGain volume adjustment value, is stored on all the tracks. This way, you can't audibly distinguish the precise split second of when you've transitioned from one track to the next, because each of the tracks are still proportionately different (or similar) in volume level to each other, and yet the average volume level you get for one ReplayGained album will be the same as what you get for another ReplayGained album. This is called "Album Gain", and the other mode is "Track Gain". Each mode has their own separately stored values within a music file, and the particular mode you use at any given time, is dependent upon the Preferences you've set in your player, which you can change back and forth, depending upon your listening habits at a particular moment. You can also tell the player to ignore ReplayGain tags altogether (in which case no actual volume change ever happens - and the track plays at its natural level), though most players automatically do this already, since they have no idea what ReplayGain is. Rockboxed portable MP3 players will acknowledge ReplayGain tags too.

The only real drag with ReplayGain is that kind of like lossless, ideally your whole collection is in that camp, or else some tracks will stick out like sore thumbs. So everything you've downloaded or ripped before, you'd have to scan sooner or later. And that's annoying if you want to seed and listen to something, because if you want ReplayGain with it, you pretty much have to copy the files and then scan & tag your own copies separately from the files you're still seeding. Those are relatively minor drawbacks in my opinion, but you've been warned.

Last edited by Glathannus : 2007.11.30 at 10:59 PM.
Glathannus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.11.30, 11:02 PM   #103
HEDOfloe

Sooo, ReplayGain will only make the music sound better on my computer? What I did with this wav file I made of the DVDs audio is that I burned it, and then ripped it to my computer in WMA lossless, and then synced it to my Zune. So if I use ReplayGain, will the enhanced audio transfer to a CD which I can then rip with the same sound quality?
Old 2007.11.30, 11:30 PM   #104
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Well, once you downsample 96kHz/24bit to 44.1kHz/16bit, there's nothing you can do to restore what's been lost. Burning 96kHz/24bit to CD is like running a color photo over a black & white copy machine. The copy might be on par with other photos that are natively black & white, but nothing you do will ever bring the natural color back. Some people are colorblind, which makes that scenario okay for them, I guess.

The downsampler you use (presumably Goldwave) might have an influence on the final volume level you get, since CDs have a noticably lower sensitivity to volume level than DVDs do, and different converters handle that differently.

Soundforge would probably solve all your problems. You could do a professional normalize and downsample before burning to CD, and you'll have a difficult time distinguishing between the custom burnt CD, versus your natural OSCA/KillerTune/Variety CD(s), since I'm sure EMI does their own normalize to the official CDs prior to distribution. I never normalize any DVDs I convert for MP3. My trusty old install of foobar, painstakingly configured, does all the magic, which I end up taking for granted, and then I wonder what the hell people are talking about when they say my DVD rips are louder than theirs. I wonder if the Zune can even convey an audible difference between WMA Lossless and V0 MP3s. Most people have a difficult enough time telling those two apart with their computers.

Last edited by Glathannus : 2007.11.30 at 11:35 PM.
Glathannus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.11.30, 11:51 PM   #105
Glathannus
True Final Boss

On a separate note (and getting back on-topic), I would just like to say that the "alternate angle" of OSCA is everything the official PV should've been - it takes away focus from the dancers and puts 99% of the spotlight back on the band. Except for the moments when the dancers turn on their flashlights, or morph into red letters on the screen to spell out OSCA, you'd never even know they were in this video. In fact if you hadn't seen the regular version, you'd be like "What the fuck? Where did those girls come from?", because you almost never see them in the alternate version.
Old 2007.12.01, 04:35 AM   #106
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I found an interview about Senkou Shoujo on youtube

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.01, 10:07 AM   #107
HEDOfloe

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
Well, once you downsample 96kHz/24bit to 44.1kHz/16bit, there's nothing you can do to restore what's been lost. Burning 96kHz/24bit to CD is like running a color photo over a black & white copy machine. The copy might be on par with other photos that are natively black & white, but nothing you do will ever bring the natural color back. Some people are colorblind, which makes that scenario okay for them, I guess.

The downsampler you use (presumably Goldwave) might have an influence on the final volume level you get, since CDs have a noticably lower sensitivity to volume level than DVDs do, and different converters handle that differently.

Soundforge would probably solve all your problems. You could do a professional normalize and downsample before burning to CD, and you'll have a difficult time distinguishing between the custom burnt CD, versus your natural OSCA/KillerTune/Variety CD(s), since I'm sure EMI does their own normalize to the official CDs prior to distribution. I never normalize any DVDs I convert for MP3. My trusty old install of foobar, painstakingly configured, does all the magic, which I end up taking for granted, and then I wonder what the hell people are talking about when they say my DVD rips are louder than theirs. I wonder if the Zune can even convey an audible difference between WMA Lossless and V0 MP3s. Most people have a difficult enough time telling those two apart with their computers.
Although Goldwave does lower the frequency, I don't think that is the main problem because, as I said, the original wav from the rip sounds far inferior compared to my cd rips. But, I downloaded a trial of Soundforge and I'm messing around with the different enhancing and restoration things, hopefully I'll be able to get something good.

Also, I thought foobar was just a player? Any enhances it makes would therefore only be present while you listen to music through foobar, right?

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2007.12.01 at 10:10 AM.
Old 2007.12.01, 10:36 AM   #108
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Lena-chan View Post
I found an interview about Senkou Shoujo on youtube
Omg, that video was so cute XD Ringo and Kameda were adorable when they spoke in unison or did the "D" "V" "D" thing. ahah!

I'll let Emil do a translation, though, I feel like I only grasped parts of it.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.01, 01:18 PM   #109
HEDOfloe

Well, Glath, thanks for suggesting Soundforge, now my rip of Senkou Shoujo sounds awesome! Almost as good as the CD rips, but definitely just as loud. Thank you soo much~
Old 2007.12.01, 04:40 PM   #110
alleon86

alleon86 is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Hedofloe View Post
Well, Glath, thanks for suggesting Soundforge, now my rip of Senkou Shoujo sounds awesome! Almost as good as the CD rips, but definitely just as loud. Thank you soo much~
now you know what to do with the improved version??

thanks in advance hehe
alleon86 is offline   Reply With Quote