Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.08.17, 09:00 PM   #6921
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I dunno, I think I'll like NoH a lot more than ADP and AATS, but not sure how long it will take until I forget it.

I just hope it doesn't become an expensive drinks coaster like MWG did.

Lol, MWG, what a way to embarrass herself and her fans by bringing out a Christmas album -oops- I meant seasonal album :-p
Old 2011.08.18, 08:35 AM   #6922
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Did you ever actually listen to Midwinter Graces or are you one of those Tori fans that dismissed the album solely because it was a Seasonal/Christmas album?

The only Tori album I actually "dislike" is Abnormally Attracted to Sin. The Beekeeper was very "meh" too. I didn't not like them because they were adult contemporary albums (unlike many Tori fans who only want her to make angry women music) I dislike AATS because it covered ground she has already covered TO DEATH, and Beekeeper because it felt overproduced and too static.

I'm very excited about Night of Hunters. Because it's a song cycle, I won't listen to any leaks until a hear the entire album once through.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2011.08.18 at 02:33 PM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.18, 02:15 PM   #6923
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Little Girl Lost-And-Found - Yann Tomita
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.18, 06:36 PM   #6924
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Did you ever actually listen to Midwinter Graces or are you one of those Tori fans that dismissed the album solely because it was a Seasonal/Christmas album?

The only Tori album I actually "dislike" is Abnormally Attracted to Sin. The Beekeeper was very "meh" too. I didn't not like them because they were adult contemporary albums (unlike many Tori fans who only want her to make angry women music) I dislike AATS because it covered ground she has already covered TO DEATH, and Beekeeper because it felt overproduced and too static.

I'm very excited about Night of Hunters. Because it's a song cycle, I won't listen to any leaks until a hear the entire album once through.
I gave it a spin like 5 times or so, just never felt any urge to listen to it after that, hell, I don't even remember anything at all off of it.

AATS sucks big time. The Beekeeper did have Barons of Suburbia and Witness on it. Oh and my favourite Tori song ever- Original Sinsuality. Everything else around it is a big badly produced haze.

A third song "Shattering Sea" has leaked from NoH, and it actually sounded pretty damn good, for about 2 minutes then just drifted into what seemed randomness. Though I may actually listen to this album a fair bit. I don't know whether it's because I went in with no expectations/felt bitter after ADP, AATS and MWG but only time will tell.

I don't give a crap about this "song cycle" so I'll just listen to leaks when they pop around. But you know, if it sucks hard, there's the new Bjork and new Opeth coming out the week after
Old 2011.08.18, 08:05 PM   #6925
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

the thing you have to keep in mind is that this is a song cycle based on classical songs spanning several centuries, same as as Midwinter Graces, so if you dislike certain compositions your looking dead in the face at insulting people like Debussy and other well established composers....its hard to say how much Tori borrowed and how she infused her own bits into it yet...but a lot of the structure I've noticed with the three songs so far is that they seem repetitive/random simply because of the song they are based on.

i.e. carry is based on debussy's the girl with the flaxen hair.

I can't believe your favorite song by Tori EVER is Original Sinsuality...not to mention you say you like Witness and everything else it is a badly produced haze? How about Garlands and Toast? Or Parasol or Jamaica Inn? Witness and Ireland are by far the two worst tracks on Beekeeper and Barons studio is not nearly as great as her live renditions.

I think ADP is probably her worst produced record. Her vocals on Bouncing with Cloud RUIN the song for me.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.18, 08:28 PM   #6926
deadgrandma

Why I said Witness I have no idea- I meant Mary's of the Sea. (I just checked through the album to see after you said it was as bad as Ireland- and yes, indeed it is) Hurr Durr AND *facepalm* to me. But Original Sinsuality had her last truly great vocals put on record. Plus it has such a huge emotional peak, she did more in its 2 minutes than she did in some of her 6+ minute songs.

I dislike ADP a lot too, 'cept Fat Slut cause it's like 40 seconds and more powerful than the rest of the album. Far too much husband on that album. Though with ADP I did listen to it for more than 2 weeks which is more than I can say about AATS.

Also, just for you:
Beeeeeeeouncieeng uff Cleeeeowwwds
Old 2011.08.18, 11:01 PM   #6927
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Jaurim - IDOL

There is a new Jaurim album out, and all is good with the world.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.19, 05:35 AM   #6928
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Nooooo make it stoooooop. Her voice is so nasally in that track. Hahah you confused marys with with witness lol. Have you ever heard the a piano intro jam version? Or as I like to call it, back that thang up version. My favorite TB era song is definitely Garlands and it isn't on the album, it got bumped for Toast, which given toast being about her brothers accident I understand. I never realized ther was so much AATS hate until recently. I don't dislike AATS I just don't listen to it often. You gotta admit Flavor was a new style for her. Still, I like my Tori to trip balls and write on peyote. Ever seen the 8 1/2 Weeks Tour version of Riot Poof? Fucking epic.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.19, 11:32 AM   #6929
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

The Weekend album is out now, i don't know if anybody knows, but shit is hot
IxvuCj1ev4c
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.19, 04:55 PM   #6930
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

The Weeknd is amazing. I'm not usually into R&B music but goddamn did I love House of Balloons. I'm listening to the new mixtape now.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote