Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2012.11.19, 11:52 AM   #181
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

The MoRA was an impulse buy for me. Saw it at the Kinokuniya in San Francisco and HAD TO HAVE IT. I think it was selling for about $120. Had some mild regrets about the price at first, but since I had to drive home to L.A., I had the perfect soundtrack for the car during the 6-hour trip.

To this day, when I want to hear an album, I pop in the MoRA versions. They just sound better, even though I'm no audiophile.

I say if you've got the bucks, go for it, and if the price really bugs you, and you already have the original albums, then sell those.

I have not sought out the DVD set. That seems overly expensive for what you get, and I already have WtH.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.19, 02:20 PM   #182
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Ah, but some people on ebay claim to be selling the MoRA versions but there is no means to verify.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.19, 03:46 PM   #183
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

You could demand to see closeups of the centers of the CDs, where there should be some distinguishing marks.....unless I'm wrong.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.19, 04:32 PM   #184
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Whatever, I'll just have to man up and use a deputy to get it from amazon.jp or Yahoo Auctions.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.19, 07:16 PM   #185
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

There's 3 kinds of packaging for Shouso Strip:
1.) First-press, original master: comes in a pink cardboard slipcase (with Shiina Ringo's face printed on the front in a kind of monochrome white) surrounding a plain pink plastic jewelcase. The CD booklet has the standard black background cover art you would expect, but you can only see that cover art when the packaging has been unraveled. First-press's CD booklet has all the same pages as second-press, but is slightly too big to fit inside a jewelcase, and needs to be stored directly within the slipcase alongside the jewelcase. There's a road sign on the back side of the slipcase, and this release had a grey obi.

2.) Second-press, original master: comes in a normal/clear jewelcase with no slipcase, and the CD booklet (with all the same pages as first-press) is small enough to fit inside the jewelcase to show off the standard cover art through the transparent door. This release came with a black obi.

3.) MoRA, new master: comes in a pink cardboard sleeve which looks the same on the front as first-press, but there's no jewelcase or slipcase - it is simply one thin cardboard sleeve. Has no obi. Shouso Strip MoRA edition also has no CD booklet of its own.

It's easier to prove that a Shouso Strip auction isn't sourced from MoRA, due to the fact that other versions of Shouso Strip have more packaging specific to Shouso Strip.

The only potential mix-up is between MoRA and first-press, because they both look exactly the same on the front. But if you can see the back of it or the thickness of it, then that would tell you everything you need to know.
Old 2013.05.26, 07:17 PM   #186
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

A friend of mine recently has started collecting Ringo stuff (meaning I'm the sucker that has to hunt the stuff down for him). It's been a fun ride. Managed to get a sealed one of these MoRA sets (DVD) for less (6800 yen) than it was new. Fucksake.

That said, my stomach turns at how much said friend is laying down on Ringo vinyls.... I noticed that the most expensive solo one nowadays (apart from Sweetz for my Spitz) seems to be Muzai Moratorium...

Jihen LPs seem to be ridiculously priced (as in, moreso than ever before) too... and theyre not even full albums. While I paid (a fair bit) more than cost price for most of these LPs, I never ever forked out 18,000 yen or more for one... ouch. The most I've paid was like 8,000 yen for the Gunjo Byori/Sounan one (which was also the last one I acquired) about a year and a half ago.

Now, I'm sure a buyer who looked around hard enough could find these for a more reasonable price, I just can't but help feel a bit sorry for them.

Really makes me wonder whether this is the absolute highest value in their lifetime or if they will go up even further.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.05.26 at 07:30 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.26, 09:10 PM   #187
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

This is where I'd rank the going rates (in terms of actual bids I've seen):
1.) MM
2.) SS
3.) Sweets for my SPITZ
4.) SNG
5.) KSK

HF and all the TJ vinyls are basically in the same price range as each other, somewhere below KSK.

I was under the impression that SS was Shiina Ringo's most commercially-successful album. If that's true, and if the vinyl for SS was released the same day as the vinyl for MM, and if the SS vinyl is physically superior to the MM vinyl, then why is the MM vinyl selling for more?
Old 2013.05.27, 10:42 AM   #188
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

My only guess would be because it's an older album (even if it's only by a year). And you said it yourself, SS sold more so there may be a lot of people who own it on CD but don't want to repurchase it on vinyl. MM, on the other hand, is an album that sold well and has a lot of singles that people recognize but not as many people already own it. Of course, I could just be talking out of my ass here.

When I used to work at the movie theater, it was the same way. We would get these classic movie Fathom events. I noticed that the longer it's been since the movie was released in theaters, the better the movie does. Titanic and Finding Nemo both had very disappointing box office returns even though they were some of the highest grossing movies of all time during their original run. But The Lion King? That would actually sell out shows. Because EVERYONE has seen Titanic and Finding Nemo already, less people were flocking to the theaters in droves. They owned it on VHS, they owned it on DVD, now they own it on Blu-Ray. They've watched it 1000 times at home. That example might not apply here since music's a completely different industry but there's a market for nostalgia. And I think people really want to get their hands on her debut in vinyl.
Old 2013.05.27, 04:54 PM   #189
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

The funny thing with the MM (and SS) vinyl is that for several weeks after its release it was still in stock. They definitely weren't the thing everyone was vying for at the time. I got mine as an afterthought when I made a big Ringo order. If I didn't open it I could be making a killing right now, damnit.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.27, 06:16 PM   #190
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

@Osiris:its an interesting guess, but SS and MM didnt get vinyl pressings until around the time of MoRA and the 10th anniversary lot. I woulda assumed they woulda grabbed both MM and SS if they were getting them back then, knowing full well how fast they'd sell out.

Besides, I'm sure most people would desire hearing a "quieter" SS more too (if you've ever had the chance to hear it via the actual vinyl [or rip] you will know how much more 'room to breathe' the master on it has).

TBH, I really can't figure out why MM would fetch the higher price either, the two copies I've heard have both got very hot presses on the center (of the LP) tracks, which is really unfortunate.

@mizer_unmei: If you were to get rid of your used copies, you'd still make a hefty profit even used methinks. Well, as long as you've kept 'em nice and not played any games of Shoso Strip Vinyl frisbee...

Double your money easy.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.05.27 at 07:49 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote