Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2010.02.25, 11:07 PM   #91
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by AmeGamble View Post
And..... after posting, I realized Kuro_neko practically said the same thing earlier. lol. I really need to read ALL posts ;
feel free to repeat what I might have said earlier because half this forum probably has me on ignore. teamwork!
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.26, 09:43 AM   #92
mae

mae is headed in the right direction

I definitively love HF. It takes me to a state of pleasure. Maybe it's because of the vocals, don't know, maybe it's the everything. Gamble and Hatsukoi Shoujo, and also I feel something special for Konoyo no kagiri's lyrics. The first time I listened to the album, I was walking along the streets. In the middle of Gamble, I felt as if it changed to another song and the step thrilled me so much, it was like the music was leading to a new level. (I must sound naive but it's true).I remember well this sensation. My first impression of this album is something I won't forget.
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.26, 10:10 AM   #93
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

My mum hasn't been totally convinced by Shiina Ringo as far as MM/SS/KZK (minus Shuukyou and Yattsuke Shigoto)are concerned, but she loves Gamble (She thinks this is amazing, actually), Yokushitsu HF and Kono yo. She was surprised when she discovered Hatsukoi Shoujo was Ringo, too.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.26, 10:14 AM   #94
mae

mae is headed in the right direction

Scribble, I'm you mother!
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.26, 10:26 AM   #95
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

muuum, stop em-bar-ass-ing me
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.14, 08:35 AM   #96
hank

hank is headed in the right direction

It might be just me and my own perversions, but I love to think of Kono Yo No Kagiri as Ringo giving a big fat "Choke on THIS, rock fans!"...

Of course, it wouldn't mean anything if the actual song wasn't simply wonderful. Definitely one of my top 5 Ringo tracks.

Too bad most of the rehashes on the album weren't quite as inspired.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.19, 06:27 PM   #97
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
agh. I hate that song and also hate Bjork, so that makes sense. >_<
But Kono Yo Kagiri sounds like Bjork's It's Oh So Quiet??? Even the video is almost the same!!!
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.01.25, 12:08 PM   #98
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
But Kono Yo Kagiri sounds like Bjork's It's Oh So Quiet??? Even the video is almost the same!!!
I was talking about Hatsukoi Shoujo...?
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.22, 03:03 PM   #99
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

How electronic would we say Hatsukoi Shoujo is? I'd say it's mainly orchestral. Just the beats are electronic, and a subtle low synth, which are really well done.

It is though totally informed by electronica, particularly the woodwind and low strings instruments in arpeggio* and tremolo violins. Very fair play to Saito Neko on this one actually. Still, it wouldn't be a surprise if the original demo used a synth arpeggiator or something. And of course you have the layered overlapping vocals.

Like Tamatebako it fully feels like an event, in the same way so many of her earlier songs did.

Hatsukoi also fits in really well with the prettier end of dubstep. I often feel it calling me when I'm listening to mixes. I think this song follows it much better than Papaya Mango (which cognitive dissonance with SR's prior career aside I actually randomly quite like) and it retains a romantic theme.

Jessie Ware & Sampha - Valentine

The other thing about HF is that gets posted is "I like HF because I like jazz". While that might be someone's valid point of view, in the same way I'd understand if someone who mainly enjoyed rock liked MM, or someone who only liked "real instruments" didn't like SS and only liked Tokyo Jihen's oddly hairshirt 5-piece setup**, IMO SR is too idiosyncratic an artist to let your genre predilictions fully dictate everything.

Like many people though, it would be great to see some more electronic music from her, because she knows some really good electronic people, and she's not put out a bad or mainstream sounding electronic song. She has an ear for it - the present day included.

* Can't remember if someone posted that before other than me.

** Phase 1 did sometimes push the boat out on what that setup can do though. :p

Last edited by so_cold : 2011.06.22 at 03:46 PM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.21, 06:15 PM   #100
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

So, I actually watched Sakuran in full for the first time today to see how the HF songs were used in the film and in which order.
However, I noticed that most of the songs were in a different form than in the HF CD, and they were in the film in a different order than on the CD.
I noticed (in order) Meisai, Yume no Ato (short piano), Karisome Otome HITOCHIZUKA, Papaya Mango, Poltergeist, Sakuran, Gamble, Oiran, Yokushitsu, Kuki, Karisome Otome (in different form), Yume no Ato again, Kono Yo no Kagiri

So I missed Ishiki and Hatsukoi Shoujo. Does anybody know when those songs appear?
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote