Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.07.13, 07:46 AM   #51
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Well, I agree that it's sad, and that it appears traditional and self-effacing on the surface, but I definitely think there's some underlying true-feelings going on, which is what I talked about.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.13, 11:16 AM   #52
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

what do you mean by true-feelings? I think she means what she says. The way you wrote your interpretation and the comment about being passive aggressive didn't seem to fit to me. Don't take this wrong because I am an American as well, but that interpretation seems completely American. Besides, the song was written by a man to begin with, I can't imagine why a guy would write a passive-aggressive forward thinking song for women, especially at that time (this is an oldie)
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.13, 01:06 PM   #53
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
We should be comparing the two albums on the basis that none of the songs were written by Shiina Ringo. Another parallel is that this album has two distinct producers for different sub-sections, while Variety has two distinct composers responsible for MOST of the tracks. Plus one of the two producers of UM (Kameda) was the producer for Variety

*sigh* Kameda has never produced for Shiina Ringo. He's the arranger and the UM disks are named after the arrangers and not the producers. Uni Inoue is the man that produced just about all things Shiina Jihen. It just really bugs me when people give that much credit to Kameda.
Old 2009.07.13, 03:04 PM   #54
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
Don't take this wrong because I am an American as well, but that interpretation seems completely American. Besides, the song was written by a man to begin with, I can't imagine why a guy would write a passive-aggressive forward thinking song for women, especially at that time (this is an oldie)
I just think it's important not to take Japanese politeness at face value--there are lots of times where people are disguising how they truly feel with polite words. But, you're right, considering it was written by a man, my interpretation is probably wrong, and she is just being traditional and self-effacing.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.13, 05:08 PM   #55
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
I just think it's important not to take Japanese politeness at face value--there are lots of times where people are disguising how they truly feel with polite words. But, you're right, considering it was written by a man, my interpretation is probably wrong, and she is just being traditional and self-effacing.
no, I totally get your drift. I always think of this one time in tokyo my neighbor told me I had a lovely voice and when I looked puzzled they told me they could often hear me singing in the shower, which was their polite and roundabout way of telling me to shut the fuck up when they are trying to sleep (I'm a night owl). You can totally read that into this song too, but based on all the other things surrounding this song, the genre it fits into, the images the music and lyrics evoke, I can't help but just think of this as a quite tragic love song. If you look at a lot of traditionals from Europe, America, Asia, anywhere really, it is quite disturbing how many of them involve murder/love lost/suicide, sad themes. It is like during those periods song was the only way people could cope when society was repressing their outward display of emotions. This song is too recent to really fit that scenario, but still.
Old 2009.07.13, 06:23 PM   #56
Cosmo!

Cosmo! is an asset to this community

I'm with frecklegirl on this one. yes, the song's an oldie written by a man, but I get a sense that there's more to the lyrics that what we have at face value. the Japanese are known for their passive-aggressive biting politeness. my friend's grandmother told me I had very nice, straight teeth, and I found out later, when I left the table to use the bathroom, she said to my friend "does he ever close his mouth? that boy talks too fucking much." gotta love it.
Old 2009.08.02, 04:45 PM   #57
憂い菩薩

憂い菩薩 is headed in the right direction

This album has quite a few of my favorite SR songs on it (Haiiro, Shiroi Kobato, Yer Blues, Jazz A Go Go), but really I love this album because it introduced me to the hilarity that is Shiina scatting. doo-bee-doo-bee-doo!
憂い菩薩 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.05, 12:10 PM   #58
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Anyone else ready for Part 2? Just as long as she doesn't have Saito Neko arrange everything anyway.
Old 2009.08.05, 02:54 PM   #59
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
Anyone else ready for Part 2? Just as long as she doesn't have Saito Neko arrange everything anyway.
heck yes! I wonder if her taste has changed at all...we might end up with Alfie, You, and all the other recent covers she has done....

as long as it contains UFO I'm good.
Old 2009.09.04, 11:26 AM   #60
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I listened to this again because I've only listened to it, like twice, and a half hearted listen at that. I just want to say that the retro game sounds in what started as ajazzsongfuckingawesomeshitdfsfdsfswf

(Kareha)

Oh, Shiina. I love you 4 ever. If I had listened to this in my early teens, I would have picked up a guitar by now.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2009.09.04 at 12:32 PM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote